Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2015, 09:18 PM   #1
ScroogeJones
Registered Member

Exclamation Seahorse swimming in circles and changed from black to white

Hey guys, this is my first thread so I hope I don't sound too newbish. I'm helping my buddy with his 72G Bowfront and he recently got a Seahorse Erectus. It was purchased as a black Color and has now turned white and swimming in circles. Is this a cause for concern???? Just making sure he's okay.
Tank's salinity is 1.025
Temp. 78
He's running a hang on the back filter, Emperor 400 I believe, I've tried to get him to invest in a protein skimmer but that's another story. Please help me figure out if everything is okay with the SeaHorse.
Thanks in advance!!!!

ScroogeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 11:10 PM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

Not much info for a diagnosis.
How recent was this purchase? How many did he buy? Any other tankmates? Any stinging corals or anemones?
Are all the power heads or intakes properly protected so no damage can occur if sucked up against them?
If there is a heater, is there a guard on it?
Speaking of heaters, the recommended temperature for tropic seahorses is 68° to 74° because of bacterial concerns with seahorses.
Colour changes are normal for seahorses as they change according to what they perceive to be best for them in their present suroundings. Stress can also do that though. Are there any signs of damage or infection or is it strictly the colour change being the only physical thing you can see?
By swimming in circles, is it upright and swimming normal but in circles, or swimming like a pinwheel? Can you provide video?
If he is to get a skimmer it's best to get one good for at least 150 to 200g as seahorse tanks do much better a way overskimmed.
I doubt though that if this "recent" is within the last couple of weeks that a skimmer could have prevented it.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change color, color, seahorse, white