Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2021, 03:16 PM   #1
k9cop1512
Premium Member

Bristle Worms--How to get rid of?

I have multiple tanks, 175 gal is largest. The 29 BIO we have has an infestation of Bristles. We hate them. They are gross and multiply too fast. The bio cube is my sea horse tank, so I'm also afraid of them stinging the horses. I've already removed all the sand and rock about 6 months ago and put new sand and rock in and 6 months later, infestation again.

How can a get rid of them. I've tried a small glass trap....Is there a larger one our there to trap these annoying pests?????

Thanks, Tim

"Keep You Dreams Alive!"

Current Tank Info: 65 Gal. w/ overflow, 30 gal sump, ER ES5-3 skimmer, AI Hydras, 90lbs Kailini LR, 90lbs LS, Refugium
k9cop1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Sell them. They're a dollar apiece from a critter vendor. If you have too many bristleworms, it may be because you have way too much wasted food. It is possible to crash a tank by killing off the bristleworms, both because of the bioload of death and the fact that nothing is now disposing of the bioload. I recommend a slow reduction in food and you will see a slow reduction of worms.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I had a huge infestation of brittle starfish & also bristle worms at one time and i also was pondering what to do but i got lucky with a natural fix to the eyesore issue. It was just introducing a Watchman goby to my sys. They sift & eat anything that crawls in the substrate. I noticed a change in just a few weeks, first loss of stars then the extreme low count of worms later. I have not changed my feeding habits but was considering it before i realized i had a predator. I also introduced a Royal Gamma at that same time also a serious predator feeder who hunts incessantly for pods & anything that crawls. Watching the goby eat a starfish was really something to see, a real battle of slithering arms fighting the goby lol...reminded me of pics i saw of whales eating giant squid.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2021, 03:21 PM   #4
Lateralus
Registered Member

I'll take them

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef/ 40 gal sump. Born on 5/30/13.
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2021, 11:57 AM   #5
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Sell them. They're a dollar apiece from a critter vendor. If you have too many bristleworms, it may be because you have way too much wasted food. It is possible to crash a tank by killing off the bristleworms, both because of the bioload of death and the fact that nothing is now disposing of the bioload. I recommend a slow reduction in food and you will see a slow reduction of worms.

Agreed. They are doing you a favor and eating waste in your tank. Cut back on the waste and they will disappear. There population is based on how much you waste there is.