Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 07:19 AM   #1
kiMxD
Registered Member

Little Jerk!

Hello folks!

So this happen last night, I went to Petco to get some saltmix and I saw this little clownfish being fiercely attacked by it's tankmates and that broke my heart so much that I decide to buy him.

I have my DT fallow since 02/11/2018, and I have my fish in a hospital tank being treated with copper.

When I put the clownfish in the hospital tank, my Hawaiian Zebra Blenny was picking at him as well. So I decided to put him back in my smaller tank which was close by my DT. When I netted him, he jumped out of the net and landed in my DT .

I am going to try to net him tonight after work.

My question is: did I just reset the 72 fallow days to get rid of ich or it should be fine (as long as I remove him from the DT tonight) ?

Thank y'all!

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:41 AM   #2
Bent
I got nothin'

Yep. Sure did.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:57 AM   #3
mitch91175
Premium Member

He just saw more water in the DT and decided on his own, lol. For him the grass, um water, was definitely bluer on the other side.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 08:48 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

The fallow period was not screwed up, sort of. Bear with me.

We do a fallow period so that all ich in the display cannot complete its life cycle. The ich parasite is being starved out.

The trophont (feeding) stage of ich takes 3-7 days. Ich in the tank couldn't attach to the clown, feed, and drop off in the short time you described.

There is a problem, however. You placed a non-quarantined fish in your display.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 09:00 AM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

And the clock starts.........................................................................

NOW!

hth

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 09:13 AM   #6
kiMxD
Registered Member

Haha, thanks guys for the funny replies.

Such a jerk this little clown, all I wanted to do was to save him

Well, I guess I will have to net him tonight and add two weeks to the fallow period...

Unread 02/23/2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Well, a kind heart is a good thing. Hopefully he'll be ok.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Nothing indicating that the clown was infected however even if he was, the risk of the Ick being transferred from fish to tank is low, provided he is removed immediately, IMO, I would get him out and continue the count for 78 fallow period.....studies show a great percentage of safe periods of fallow can be 60, but not ALL cases, that's were the extra 18 days comes from for a 99% successful clean.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
the risk of the Ick being transferred from fish to tank is low
Lol what??

How do you think ich is transferred then?

OP, I would restart it. Even using a net or adding snails from used in an un-quarantined tank can screw up the fallow period. Let alone alone a fish. 14 days is nothing compared to waiting 72 day and still having ich and doing it all over again. Think of it as 14 days vs ~150 days.

Plus never keep un-quarantined fish near your main DT. pathogens can move between tanks through aerosolized water droplets containing pathogens. Stuff like skimmers or airstones are very good at producing aerosolized water droplets .

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:10 PM   #10
crawlerman
Registered Member

most of the work is getting the fish out. Not worth the risk considering all of the work you already put in.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Bent
I got nothin'

You have no idea what that clown was possibly carrying.

I would put him in QT by himself so he will not be picked on, and reset the fallow time.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:23 PM   #12
kiMxD
Registered Member

Thank yall for your inputs. I will take the clown out tonight and will put him in my smaller 2. gallon tank as well.

Appreciate all of you, as always!

Unread 02/23/2018, 02:24 PM   #13
kiMxD
Registered Member

I meant, 2.5* gallons.

Unread 02/25/2018, 07:22 AM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Lol what??

How do you think ich is transferred then?

OP, I would restart it. Even using a net or adding snails from used in an un-quarantined tank can screw up the fallow period. Let alone alone a fish. 14 days is nothing compared to waiting 72 day and still having ich and doing it all over again. Think of it as 14 days vs ~150 days.

Plus never keep un-quarantined fish near your main DT. pathogens can move between tanks through aerosolized water droplets containing pathogens. Stuff like skimmers or airstones are very good at producing aerosolized water droplets .
There was absolutely NO indication this fish carried anything.
So the risk of transmission is LOW. Your scenario means the fish was infected and the cysts were just ready to fall off and during the time in which the fish was in the tank they fell off and that those cysts lived and reproduce in a fallow tank beyond a sufficient time for the cycle to be in many cases broken.
YES, it is always safer to restart the counter, but the RISK in this case is in fact LOW.

Unread 02/25/2018, 07:24 AM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Lol

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:26 AM   #16
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
There was absolutely NO indication this fish carried anything.
So the risk of transmission is LOW. Your scenario means the fish was infected and the cysts were just ready to fall off and during the time in which the fish was in the tank they fell off and that those cysts lived and reproduce in a fallow tank beyond a sufficient time for the cycle to be in many cases broken.
YES, it is always safer to restart the counter, but the RISK in this case is in fact LOW.
I disagree.

Asymptotic does not mean low risk. At all.

Tags
clownfish, fallow, ich, quarantine