Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2020, 02:12 PM   #1
Johnic
Registered Member

Main tank Royal Exclusive pump stopped working

Note it’s the main tank pump
So its run non stop for me for over 5 years but I noticed it wasn’t performing correctly the last day or so and to be honest I haven’t cleaned it for about 8 months.
I shut it down and opened it up to clean it and I found the main shaft rusted out (see pics). Fortunately I had an extra shaft to replace it with.
I cleaned the pump and inserted the new shaft and put it back in the water and the main control panel doesn’t lite up and the pump doesn’t want to run.

Mystified how it was running and all I did was shut it down to clean and now it doesn’t fire back up...the control panel doesn’t even go on....why ??
@slief
- any help on this ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C7E955F-99BF-43FD-A85E-71561A0D7748.jpg (55.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1BC94AAC-2161-4624-93DB-2C096027DC4E.jpg (41.1 KB, 34 views)
75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident

Last edited by Johnic; 10/13/2020 at 02:35 PM.
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2020, 03:18 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I replied to your other post. Glad we had a chance to talk by phone as well. In looking at your pictures, my guess is that the the bulge at the bottom of the impeller shaft caused friction inside the motor and eventually overloaded and killed the controller. That would also explain the rust on the titanium sleeve. Looking at the picture, there appear to be some scratches on the sleeve itself. I wonder if your pump sucked something into like sand or a snail it and sent debris in through the anti lime bypass in the back of the motor. If so, it's possible that the debris compromised the seal on the back of the magnet.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote