Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2017, 08:07 PM   #1
GoVols
Registered Member

Why did Royal Exclusiv Stop Making the 80 watt DC Pump for the USA?

Dear, Royal Exclusiv

From what I understand you can't buy this pump in the states anymore.

But it's still made and sold in Europe.

The 150 watt is total overkill for my reef and it would barely fit in my sump's return chamber.

The 50 watt does not have enough flow.

I guess, I'll be buying the Abyzz A100 DC.

So, Why was the 80 watt pulled away from the USA?

Regards, GoVols

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 09:28 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I feel your pain. The 80 watt pumps aren't available at the moment because they slated to be replaced with a new version for the US. Keep in mind that in Europe, 220v is the standard and 110v follows so logic stands to reason that the new versions arrive here after they are released in Europe. That said, while the 150 is overkill, it's by far the best pump in its class and you can always run it at a lower speed. That or wait for the new model to be released. Good things come to those who wait.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 11:00 PM   #3
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I feel your pain. The 80 watt pumps aren't available at the moment because they slated to be replaced with a new version for the US. Keep in mind that in Europe, 220v is the standard and 110v follows so logic stands to reason that the new versions arrive here after they are released in Europe. That said, while the 150 is overkill, it's by far the best pump in its class and you can always run it at a lower speed. That or wait for the new model to be released. Good things come to those who wait.
Scott,
Do you know the release date on the new model?

I've had the BK 160 Mini skimmer (Have no clue why they call it the mini ) for many years and you get what you pay for when it comes to Royal Exclusiv.

Thanks, Freddie

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 09/27/2017, 08:40 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
Scott,
Do you know the release date on the new model?

I've had the BK 160 Mini skimmer (Have no clue why they call it the mini ) for many years and you get what you pay for when it comes to Royal Exclusiv.

Thanks, Freddie
No release date yet. We are all waiting anxiously.

The Mini is called the Mini because of it's smaller footprint.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/27/2017, 11:24 AM   #5
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
No release date yet. We are all waiting anxiously.

The Mini is called the Mini because of it's smaller footprint.
Scott,

Thanks for your response and I always love your build and video's.
Hope the Mitra's are doing good.

If we don't know anything about the new model that's set in stone by January, then I'm going to pull the trigger on the Abyzz.

The 150's length only leaves 1" of left over space in my sump.
That's a tight fit.

(lol)
It would be pulling in water, right in front of my sump's front glass.

Freddie

Unread 09/27/2017, 11:49 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott,

Thanks for your response and I always love your build and video's.
Hope the Mitra's are doing good.

If we don't know anything about the new model that's set in stone by January, then I'm going to pull the trigger on the Abyzz.

The 150's length only leaves 1" of left over space in my sump.
That's a tight fit.

(lol)
It would be pulling in water, right in front of my sump's front glass.

Freddie
If you were to remove the threaded collar from the intake, you would gain an extra inch or two.. The cost is similar between the two with the RD3 150 being less and the RD3 150 has less heat transfer and is also a much more robustly built pump that is much heavier and has a more solid feel. It also has much better connections for the plumbing.

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:24 PM   #7
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
If you were to remove the threaded collar from the intake, you would gain an extra inch or two.. The cost is similar between the two with the RD3 150 being less and the RD3 150 has less heat transfer and is also a much more robustly built pump that is much heavier and has a more solid feel. It also has much better connections for the plumbing.
Scott,
I see where your coming from, on all aspects.

My return pump chamber is at a 6" water line height but I could up it just a tad.

If I bought the 150 at the 6" water line height, would the intake be sucking in air?

I can't figure out, what the bottom of the pump, to the top of the intake, dimension is on the 150.

Freddie

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:31 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott,
I see where your coming from, on all aspects.

My return pump chamber is at a 6" water line height but I could up it just a tad.

If I bought the 150 at the 6" water line height, would the intake be sucking in air?

I can't figure out, what the bottom of the pump, to the top of the intake, dimension is on the 150.

Freddie
If you removed the threaded fitting from the intake, the top of the intake to the floor would be 3"-3.25" from the floor of the sump. That leaves 2.75 - 3".. Will it such air?? Hard to say. That depends on the flow you are running it at. You could always get a piece of acrylic and place it above the pumps intake to prevent it from sucking air. Maybe have a bend put in it and add a couple suction cups or a magnet scrubber to hold it to the side of the sump. Have the horizontal surface just below the water line to prevent the pump from creating a whirlpool effect and sucking air. Obviously I am biased but in all honesty (and I am very honest when it comes to these things), if you had both pumps side by side to compare the motors, the decision would be easy. The motor on the RD3 looks and feels like a monster comparatively speaking even if you were comparing to the A400. I won't knock the Abyzz because if you need a variable speed pump capable of stupid high head pressure, there is no better choice but that isn't your situation so it really boils down to space constraints, price and flow.

Unread 09/27/2017, 10:42 PM   #9
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
If you removed the threaded fitting from the intake, the top of the intake to the floor would be 3"-3.25" from the floor of the sump. That leaves 2.75 - 3".. Will it such air?? Hard to say. That depends on the flow you are running it at. You could always get a piece of acrylic and place it above the pumps intake to prevent it from sucking air. Maybe have a bend put in it and add a couple suction cups or a magnet scrubber to hold it to the side of the sump. Have the horizontal surface just below the water line to prevent the pump from creating a whirlpool effect and sucking air. Obviously I am biased but in all honesty (and I am very honest when it comes to these things), if you had both pumps side by side to compare the motors, the decision would be easy. The motor on the RD3 looks and feels like a monster comparatively speaking even if you were comparing to the A400. I won't knock the Abyzz because if you need a variable speed pump capable of stupid high head pressure, there is no better choice but that isn't your situation so it really boils down to space constraints, price and flow.
Scott,
I've been running the factory Red Sea / Sicce AC pump since 2013, on my S-400 and it's rated at 1,850 gallons per hour.

Here's the specs that are on the side of the AC pump that I've been using.

RS Max S Main 7000
110 - 120V - 60Hz 70watt
Qmax 7000 l/h H-max 3.8m

If I did go with the A100 DC would it have the same, more or less head pressure than the Red Sea / Sicce pump has.

I hate to spend that kind of money, only to have less flow.

I'm just trying to make the right purchase and I need your full honesty.

I understand that your basis and you should be.

But will the A100 fit my needs?

Unread 09/28/2017, 08:43 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott,
I've been running the factory Red Sea / Sicce AC pump since 2013, on my S-400 and it's rated at 1,850 gallons per hour.

Here's the specs that are on the side of the AC pump that I've been using.

RS Max S Main 7000
110 - 120V - 60Hz 70watt
Qmax 7000 l/h H-max 3.8m

If I did go with the A100 DC would it have the same, more or less head pressure than the Red Sea / Sicce pump has.

I hate to spend that kind of money, only to have less flow.

I'm just trying to make the right purchase and I need your full honesty.

I understand that your basis and you should be.

But will the A100 fit my needs?
I would say the A100 would fit your needs. If you can fit the RD3 in there, you get more bang for the buck and arguably a better pump.

Unread 09/28/2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Hi Freddie

the 80 Watts RD3 in US-Voltages are sold out. For the US-Market 120 Volt/60 Hz we make a Update from 80 up to 100 Watt.
A little bit more Pressure and lot of more Flow, from 8000 up to 12.000 Liter/h.

First Prototypes in 120 Volt/60 Hz are running now on our Testbunch... Looks good.
Aviable maybe in January 2018

best regards ... Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:31 PM   #12
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen View Post
Hi Freddie

the 80 Watts RD3 in US-Voltages are sold out. For the US-Market 120 Volt/60 Hz we make a Update from 80 up to 100 Watt.
A little bit more Pressure and lot of more Flow, from 8000 up to 12.000 Liter/h.

First Prototypes in 120 Volt/60 Hz are running now on our Testbunch... Looks good.
Aviable maybe in January 2018

best regards ... Klaus
Klaus,

It's truly an honor to be able to talk with you.

Are you able to post the dimensions on the upgrade pump that's going to replace the 80 watt for the US?

I want to stay with Royal Exclusiv but the 150 watt is just too tight of a fit for my sump. I could get it in there but with one wrong move, it could break my sump's glass.

~ Friedrich

Last edited by GoVols; 09/29/2017 at 11:40 PM.
Unread 08/14/2018, 08:58 PM   #13
GoVols
Registered Member

Hello, Scott and Klaus.

Is the new prototype still in testing or can we get the 80 watt back into the states.

I went with an cal reactor last year and still have not bought an new return pump.

Thanks, Freddie

Unread 08/14/2018, 09:33 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hello, Scott and Klaus.

Is the new prototype still in testing or can we get the 80 watt back into the states.

I went with an cal reactor last year and still have not bought an new return pump.

Thanks, Freddie
The new 100w will be released in the US VERY soon. Keep an eye at royalExclusiv.com for information. We will likely post here as well once it’s released.

Unread 08/14/2018, 10:07 PM   #15
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
The new 100w will be released in the US VERY soon. Keep an eye at royalExclusiv.com for information. We will likely post here as well once it’s released.
Scott,
Thanks so much for the quick response.
That is wonderful customer support!!

I'll keep my eyes open, and will wait it out

Freddie

Unread 08/16/2018, 08:29 AM   #16
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott,
Thanks so much for the quick response.
That is wonderful customer support!!

I'll keep my eyes open, and will wait it out

Freddie
*cough* http://royalexclusiv.com/Flow-Pumps/...SURE::713.html
*/cough*

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 01:47 PM   #17
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Thank You!!

Unread 09/01/2018, 08:36 PM   #18
moondoggy4
Registered Member

cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
Funny the only time I thank somebody for coughing. Thanks

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2021, 05:58 PM   #19
GoVols
Registered Member

Bumping this thread:

Wound up going with the Abyzz A100, since that time frame, Abyzz shut down Abyzz USA.

So, you're no longer having Jeff's US customer support.

My A100's driver went down two weeks ago.

If you have an issue with your Abyzz product in the USA, now you have to deal with CoralVue.

Sure wish I would have bought the RE 100 or newer US 80, so that my service would be provided straight with Royal Exclusiv USA.

Last edited by GoVols; 07/08/2021 at 06:04 PM.