Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/06/2008, 09:26 AM   #26
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

the skimmer chamber in my sump has a fixed water depth of just shy of 8" --- seems there is some genuine performance differences at various depths. Was so going to order one of these from Chad when he gets them back in stock, but should I be concerned about performance at this depth?
ty
-dm

Current Tank Info: round and shallow japanese spot light absurdity
Unread 08/06/2008, 10:47 AM   #27
einsteins
Premium Member

Do they have an external model for a 150g sized tank?

Unread 08/06/2008, 10:53 AM   #28
twinspanda
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by painkiller1009
http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bub...15v-60hz-1.html

Says "This item ships from Brooklyn, NY"
Link no workie

Unread 08/06/2008, 10:54 AM   #29
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

they seem to have changed their site a bit so you get a 404 with that link... just go nuocean.com and you will see they have several BM models...

Unread 08/06/2008, 12:21 PM   #30
painkiller1009
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspanda
Link no workie
It works just click protein skimmers at the top left of the page.
Or try this one
http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers

UVI - Aqua Sun
ATI - Blue +

Tell them girls like DORITOS its NOTCHO CHEEZE

Current Tank Info: 55G - mixed reef - TEK 4x54w T5HO - DAS EX-2....120xh in-wall O so close
Unread 08/07/2008, 02:10 PM   #31
finksmart
Registered Member

Can someone provide the clearing height for this skimmer? How does it get removed for cleaning?

Unread 08/07/2008, 02:15 PM   #32
einsteins
Premium Member

DO any of you know if any US retailers have the BM260 with american plugs?

I cant seem to find one....

THanks

eins

Unread 08/13/2008, 11:22 PM   #33
no1fishman
Registered Member.

Aren't there more owners out there? Would like to see a better cross section of this brand.

Unread 08/14/2008, 08:10 AM   #34
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

einsteins, the links in this thread to http://www.nuocean.com/ are for skimmers with pumps designed to run in the us.
Mine arrived from them yesterday and there are no issues at all with the pump.

no1fishman, just waiting for some foam to start kicking out of this baby:

Unread 08/15/2008, 12:10 PM   #35
eagleONE
Registered Member

any updates?

Current Tank Info: ATB powered
Unread 08/15/2008, 12:51 PM   #36
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Little update...
The skimmer was pulling some very dry foam, the top of the riser tube was pretty gunked up. I raised the water level maybe 1/2 inch, and cleaned the riser tube (just a quick wipe with a paper towel) about 90 minutes ago.
The pics below are from just now. I'm getting some OK foam. You can also see there is roughly a 1/4 of collected very wet light green skimmate. Most of this was pushed into the collection cup right after my ATO runs. I've found this skimmer is extremely sensitive to the water level fluctuations. Even the 1/4 of an inch that my ATO goes is enough to really change the performance.
I *think* where I have it dialed in now will work as an excellent balance, pushing some of the drier foam over the top when the ATO runs and then settling back in as evap occurs.
I'm still feeling pretty good about this skimmer. It is very quiet, easy to tune, and makes an awful lot of bubbles. Plus, the amount of skim it's pulled even in these 36 hours it's been running is more than I would get from that tunze in a week.
I haven't fed the tank since I put the skimmer in, but I will have to feed tonight, so we'll see what recovery looks like after that.

Unread 08/15/2008, 05:43 PM   #37
whosinpower
Registered Member

I ordered one today

Count one more person willing to give it a try.

I ordered the BM160 and am planning on running it externally with a feed pump. I too have a tunze that is underperforming - so am hoping that this skimmer works better.

My tank is 90 gallons with lps, zooanthids, ricordeas, and few fish.

Had some issues with the website acting funky - and the shipping was outrageous, but I ordered it - paypal confirmed order - but nuocean did not - and I got a bit concerned that something was amiss with the transaction - because of the website freezing up several times with the checkout process. Got a pleasant surprise from Chris - who phoned me and then rectified the shipping - refunded me the difference and confirmed the order over the phone. He was very helpful and I am looking forward to installing it!

Unread 08/15/2008, 05:51 PM   #38
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

I think he runs that website off a cable modem in his house or something.
He confirmed my order with an auto reply and later answered an email because the UPS tracking hadn't updated for 2 days... Not surprised he got the shipping fixed *seems* like a stand up guy.

good luck with the skimmer, keep us posted.

Unread 08/16/2008, 10:55 AM   #39
DallasCowboys
Moved On

I’m in the club!

Bubble Magus BM100 has arrived! Got this yesterday, packing was very solid in double carton boxes. I immediately got to work and it took me about 30 minutes to assemble the skimmer. Once it’s done I’m already impressed of the quality, it’s built very solid and polished.

Since I don’t want to have oil residues and other funny stuff in my main tank I use my QT to break in the skimmer, I really dig the bubble plate and bubbles look fine and milky, had it running overnight and It’s already kicking my Tunze 9010’s ***. IMO they are not even in the same league!

Unread 08/16/2008, 11:02 AM   #40
DallasCowboys
Moved On

Some pics-

Fine bubbles

1 hour into breaking in

kill-a-watt meter

Unread 08/16/2008, 11:28 AM   #41
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

DallasCowboys,
Where do you have your water level set? Looks like just inside the riser of the collection cup?

Here are is more from me:
Day three today, after a night of running very dry foam (pic below) I had to rescue a coral in the tank (freaking snails) so I figured good time to clean the collection cup and plug the skimmer in properly. I had previously run the power cord through the front of my stand to a temporary plug. I wanted it plugged into the main strip behind the tank.

pump would not restart
I tried a bunch of times. no luck. eventually I took the skimmer out of my sump (nightmare) took it apart, took the pump apart, rinsed everything, put the pump back together and it ran. So I reassembled the entire skimmer after a quick clean and I'm back in business. But I was not happy to have to do that on the first ever restart...

Here's the pic of dry foam skimming over night. This is less than 36 hours using the skimmer. I note above in one of my posts I said nearly 36 hours with one pic, but that should have been nearly 48 hours. The skimmer went into action at 2:15 PST on Wednesday the 13th.

Unread 08/16/2008, 12:28 PM   #42
DallasCowboys
Moved On

Dmorel,

Mine is seating at 10" of water. I had unplugged my pump a couple of times and each time it restarted without issues. Have you tried blow into the air tube? That would help the pump to startup..

Unread 08/16/2008, 04:08 PM   #43
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Thanks, I meant how high is the water level inside the skimmer.
Unfortunately, it's very hard for me to reach the air intake tube unless I turn the skimmer around, which I guess I will do if I have continued problems with start up.

It's been about 5 hours since restart, and foam production has not yet restarted...
Will keep monitoring, hopefully it will kick back in soon. I hate the break in period...

Unread 08/17/2008, 01:41 AM   #44
dmopar74
Registered Member

bm150 bm155

whats the difference between the bm150 and the bm155? to me it seems the only difference is the pump on the 155 is mounted externally, and the bubble plate has more holes in it.

would these perform the same? it seems with the externally mounted pump it would be easier to service, and more holes in the bubble plate would be better?

Unread 08/17/2008, 09:30 PM   #45
rookieboy
Registered Member

Hi All,

After reading the positive results with the bm100 I decided to give it a try as well. Got my unit 2 days ago but im having some noise issues with the pump :-( It currently sitting in 8 inches of water in the sump and for the first day it was very silent, but day two it was making a rattling noise. I checked my pump and it was fine, nothing scraping or broken. When i restrict the air to the pump stops making noise but there are almost no bubbles. Argggggggggg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Unread 08/18/2008, 08:57 AM   #46
Lubu
Moved On

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by cward; 01/03/2009 at 10:25 PM.
Unread 08/18/2008, 06:59 PM   #47
rookieboy
Registered Member

Hi Lubu,

I bought my bm100 from a ebay store, not sure how good their customer service is, but I will give them a shout. Thanks
What do you guys think of the pumps on these units? Anyone know of a good replacment pump I can try?

Regards,

Unread 08/18/2008, 07:34 PM   #48
Runfrumu
Hi

Im tagging along on this one, if these things are still going strong in a month or so I may purchase one to try out.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Unread 08/18/2008, 08:45 PM   #49
Paulairduck
I LOVE FREE FRAGS!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I think Deltec might have to lower their prices

Unread 08/18/2008, 10:01 PM   #50
DallasCowboys
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulairduck
[IMG][/IMG]

I think Deltec might have to lower their prices
Deltec who?

Rookieboy, Ebay sells the 220V versions, did you make sure you'll get the 115V before purchasing?

Closed Thread