Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2021, 11:44 AM   #1
jcmjoe
Registered Member

First anenome advice

My wife would like to get an Anenome for our reef. Currently I have a duncan coral, red/green mushroom, Zoa's and a toadstool leather. Fish wise we have two clowns, a watchmen goby, a cleaner goby and a Basslet. I have never had an anenome and wanted some feedback on a easy yet still pretty one to get. Also some care taking tips if they are different than Corals or other inverts.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon reef, 75 Gallon FOWLR
jcmjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 12:20 PM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

IMO, the easiest anemone to keep is the rose/rainbow bubble tips (RBTA) anemone. The best source is from local reefers to avoid shipping and faster light acclimation. Before adding an anemone, make sure your params are stable for at least 6 months. With adequate lighting, you only need to feed it one every 2 wks or per month. If you have more specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 04:46 PM   #3
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Thank you so much, We were actually looking at the rose tips.

I appreciate the response!

Unread 01/30/2021, 05:01 PM   #4
WatDatThing
Registered Member

A tip about acclimation. If you want the anemone to stay where you want, slowly acclimate it to your light setting. It can take 2-3 days. First find a spot with the least amount of flow, and away from the LED hotspot. Turn off the flow, and reduce the light to 10%. Place the anemone and give it 30 to 45 mins to attach. Turn on the powerhead closest to the anemone. If it looks like the foot is attached, turn on the rest of the flow. You can increase the light 2%-3% every 15 mins until it looks like it wants to move. If that occurs, reduce it to the last setting and wait an hour or two before increasing again. If it went into hiding, then keep the last light setting until comes out. Generally speaking, if the light is too strong it will move to another spot that you don't like. I just got a Chicago sunburst on Tuesday and it's staying exactly where I put it.

Unread 01/30/2021, 05:04 PM   #5
ThePurple12
Registered Member

If you want it to host your clowns, a BTA is the hardiest option. If your corals are doing well, a BTA should do well.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 05:38 PM   #6
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Unread 03/04/2021, 08:25 AM   #7
lipadron
Registered Member

Smile Anenome

Hi,
I just started introducing fishes to my tank. I have 2 Picasso's clownfish and i want a anenome. Which one would you guys recommend?

Thank you

lipadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2021, 06:31 PM   #8
jcmjoe
Registered Member

So I picked up a Green Bubble tip today, I used watdatThing's acclimation advice and it worked perfectly, its got its foot wedged down nicely in between a crevice in my live rock and has its tentacles all out. Hopefully my 2 clowns will enjoy it! Will they naturally try to host it or do I need to encourage them?

Unread 04/26/2021, 10:47 AM   #9
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmjoe View Post
So I picked up a Green Bubble tip today, I used watdatThing's acclimation advice and it worked perfectly, its got its foot wedged down nicely in between a crevice in my live rock and has its tentacles all out. Hopefully my 2 clowns will enjoy it! Will they naturally try to host it or do I need to encourage them?
My black and white clown won't go near the BTA. It loves the carpet nems. My maroon loves BTAs but wouldn't go near the carpets. My clowns stay in their own hood..lol. There is a page listing clowns natural hosts if you google it. One trick is to tape a picture of a clown hosted by BTAs to the tank. One person actually try to scare the clown so that it will take refuge in the anemone. My LFS train his clowns by putting the them with the BTA in a strawberry basket and float it in the tank. Good luck

Unread 04/26/2021, 06:31 PM   #10
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Thank you so much! I will check that list out! I appreciate all the advice!.

Unread 05/03/2021, 03:27 PM   #11
jcmjoe
Registered Member

So an update, First off my clownfish started hosting today and acts as if its totally in love with the Anemone! haha, Second though, the anemone after 1 week of being attached to the rock has moved down into the sandbed. I kinda thought that BTA generally didnt bury their foot in the sand or is that not uncommon? I guess he will go where he is happy? Thanks for any input!

Unread 05/03/2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

BTAs don't bury in the sand. Please keep a close eye on it, it may have released because of the clowns. Don't try to move it, let it settle on its own.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2021, 03:28 AM   #13
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Thank you Sugar Magnolia! I didnt think they would bury their foot in the sand. I will let it find its happy place. The clown is super affectionate so I am sure that had alot to do with it. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the advice!

Unread 05/06/2021, 03:36 PM   #14
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Can a Clown Love an Anemone to death? Haha, The anemone is still pretty green and its mouth isnt open at all but my Clown is like relentless with its new friend!! Like swimming so hard into it at times it is re scaping my substrate!

Unread 05/11/2021, 05:01 PM   #15
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Bad news for BTA

So I havent been able to get on the last couple days, I removed the overly affectionate clownfish and placed her in the sump since she was litarely loving the Green BTA to death. a few days went by where the anemone wasnt attaching really and was shriveled up, it would open up at night to about 70 % of its size. I checked all my parameters and everything looked good.
salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
KH 8.0-9.0
calcium 420
Magnesium 1400
Nitrate 5 ppm
Phosphate 0
ammonia 0

I got home from work today and the other clown in the tank that hadnt really paid any attention to the anemone was trying to host it and i noticed the anemone was falling to pieces and had slime and stringy stuff coming off it. So I removed it and it was beginning to stink. luckily I believe I caught it in time before it crashed my tank. I did a 20% water change and everything else in the tank is thriving.(rock anemone, Duncan, Acon, trumpet,Toadstool, zoa's, a couple mushrooms etc..)

Do you guys think I may have just got a sick anemone? My tank is 8 months old, I know that may be considered young still. Thanks for any input