Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/28/2021, 09:13 AM   #551
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's so nice how your tank hums along! Mine seems to need more of my input than I'd like, which is almost nothing, this time of year.

The new job sounds great! I'm sure you'l be out of the overwhelmed phase in no time. Have fun with it!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2021, 10:50 AM   #552
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Dawn, I was thinking about your shoal grass situation. I've tried these in the past in my river tank and my grasses died out this spring in my tank, so I didn't think to suggest them then. But, I've since collected more river grasses and after re-planting my river tank, I put a bunch of the Jobes Fertilizer Spikes into my gravel, and my plant growth took off this time. I posted a video on my thread. Maybe these would work for you? What do you think Michael?

All I did is cut them into thirds, then shoved them into the gravel under the roots of the plants. I have a pretty high bioload too, so plenty of nitrates for them LOL.

I also used the Miracle Grow ones and they seemed to work just fine too, although they tend to dissolve a little faster, so you need to get them into the gravel faster.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump

Last edited by Chasmodes; 10/20/2021 at 10:55 AM.
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2021, 01:04 PM   #553
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've tried those. It's really hard to tell with seagrass whether it helped or not. With their slow growth, I was never sure when to expect results. When my tank was a freshwater planted tank I had good results with them.

Since Dawn already has dirt in her substrate they might be overkill, but you never know.

Old 10/20/2021, 09:10 PM   #554
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Yeah, that's like me figuring out how to put air in my tires, but that doesn't make me an auto mechanic!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2021, 02:09 PM   #555
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate any tips. The seagrass just keeps diminishing although there are some green sprigs in the sump.

At least the fish are doing great and most of the coral. The red macros are looking amazing but some green sure would add to the tank. Maybe I will let a small patch of caulerpa grow but then I worry that the caulerpa will suck up all the nutrients.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2021, 10:34 AM   #556
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well that's kind of a bummer. It seems like they should be taking off by now. I wonder what's holding them back. I know they like very bright light, more so than macros. Hmm.