Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2021, 10:15 AM   #1
jam.jo
Registered Member

Kalkwasser Dosing

Hi! I have a 20 gallon fusion nuvo with 2 clownfish, and 1 BTA. I have a very low nutrient system. My tank was running for 3 months at a previous apartment and now I set it up in my new apartment, it’s been running here for a month. My pH is all over the place from 7.9-8.3. I tried opening windows but it still fluctuates. Especially after I dose microbacter clean it drops to 7.9 and then comes back up to 8.0-8.2. My DkH tends to drop from 8.9-8.3 ish in a weeks time. I’m trying to stabilize my pH and DkH so I decided to do it with kalkwasser. I have 1 gallon mixed with 1/3 scoop of BRS Kalkwasser. I am just wondering without any corals in the tank… but my DkH still drops (salinity is maintained at 35-36 with ATO and Apex) How much is okay to dose in a 20 gallon tank in 1 day at the low concentration mix of Kalk? I set it to 5 mL per day spread out with .5mL doses every half hour overnight. Is it not enough or too much to make a difference?

jam.jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2021, 10:24 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Years ago a wise man told me to use Kalk in my make up water.
2Tbs/gallon.

Unread 10/23/2021, 03:43 PM   #3
SantaMonica
Registered Member

If no corals, and probably no coralline, then I would not see a need to dose.

Unread 10/23/2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Just top off all evaporation with topoff water mixed at the ratio of 2 tsp kalk per gallon of ro/di water. Before starting, set your water parameters to agree with the ones in my sig line and it should prove a very stable system.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2021, 08:25 AM   #5
Dan.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Just top off all evaporation with topoff water mixed at the ratio of 2 tsp kalk per gallon of ro/di water. Before starting, set your water parameters to agree with the ones in my sig line and it should prove a very stable system.
Exactly!

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2021, 12:05 PM   #6
five.five-six
Registered Member

You have no consumption and unles your dose very slowly kalkwasser can be very dangerous. I would avoid kalkwasser in your situation completely or at most 1/2 tsp/gallon.

Starts with post 307

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...686185&page=13

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote