Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2008, 06:07 PM   #1
ernestlives
Registered Member

Anyone have a Lamarcks Angel?

Just got a Lamarcks and I am really happy with it so far...anyone else have one? Had never even heard of them before until i saw them in LFS.

ernestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 06:59 PM   #2
mwwhite
Registered Member

Yep - we have one. They say the only real reef safe angel species. Very happy also - eats like a pig but him and our flame fin tang tail fight if one gets close to the others "domain". Alot of fun to watch the two of them.

Current Tank Info: 150 Mixed reef (gone now)
mwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 07:09 PM   #3
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

I don't have a Lamarks but have a Blackspot Swallowtail (same genus - Genicanthus). They are a great fish, a pleasure to keep. They tend to change sex from time to time and therefore change appearance. Here is some info on the Genus
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 07:13 PM   #4
mflamb
Registered Member

It's the only real reef safe Genus...Genicanthus. I have a G. bellus female and am looking for a G. melanospilus female.
You'll enjoy the G. larmarck. Did you get a male or female.

Click on my red house to see my 390 and 300 build thread. Those are my last 2 tanks in Tampa. Now in Pasadena waiting to buy a house to set up my next tank....anemones and clowns...probably a 3x3 150 gallon.
mflamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 07:57 PM   #5
skey44
Registered Member

have had a few revert back to the non-reef safe grazing lifestyle in aquarium confines be careful... nipped just like a centopyge or worse. I'm not the only one who has happened to in my area and it doesn't seem to be related to species. multi feedings/day may help so they don't get bored, but wow i had one just chowing down on everything for a while very misguided info imo. just as "reef safe" as centropyge just hasn't been around the hobby as long for many to see it.

-Scott

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder Dining Room Tank- 2 Kessil A160, Vortech MP10, Tunze Nanostream, Tunze 9004 skimmer, Marineland HOB, Eheim heater 34g Office Honeymoon Shallow Reef
skey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 07:58 PM   #6
skey44
Registered Member

they are planktonivores in the wild just like most truly reef safe fishes but their ancestors aren't

-Scott

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder Dining Room Tank- 2 Kessil A160, Vortech MP10, Tunze Nanostream, Tunze 9004 skimmer, Marineland HOB, Eheim heater 34g Office Honeymoon Shallow Reef
skey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 08:04 PM   #7
jerryz
Registered Member

Have a trio of Bellus that I've already ordered and paid for. Can't wait for them to get out of QT and into the display tank.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Freshwater Discus Tank, 20G Nano, 125 Reef
jerryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 09:26 PM   #8
ernestlives
Registered Member

How can I tell if it is male or female?

Unread 01/15/2008, 12:00 AM   #9
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

There is a male and female pic in the link I sent earlier

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 12:19 AM   #10
ernestlives
Registered Member

ok its a female. Thanks!

Unread 01/15/2008, 01:14 AM   #11
ACBlinky
Premium Member

I've got a female Lamarck's, she's my favourite fish. She was missing part of her tail fin and was only about 1.5" long when I got her, but what personality! Right from the beginning she was bold, interactive and even though she hoovers up the chow, she's distinctly lady-like.

Currently she's inching up on 4.5" and is one of the roundest fish I've ever had. She's gotten more territorial with age and is the undisputed queen of her tank. The yellow tang challenged her for a while, but it didn't last long -- the Lamarck's is smarter, tougher and faster. She's every inch a lady, doesn't ever bother the corals and even if there's a heated argument going on the most she'll do is take a run at the other fish -- she never bites or hurts them in any way. She doesn't need to; she seems able to solve arguments by standing her ground or blocking off the area under dispute.

She's still growing, but it seems to have slowed down (thankfully). She's developed lovely streamers on her tail and an iridescence that I never noticed when she was little -- these fish look like mother of pearl under bright light; it's subtle, but they're absolutely beautiful fish.

I think Genicanthus angels are all-around wonderful reef fish -- looks, personality, and they very seldom bother corals or hurt other tank inhabitants. I think my angel is probably the best $24.99 I ever spent

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef, 30g sump/refugium, LED lighting, 100lbs LR, coral beauty, flame angel, blue & yellow tangs, gobies, damsels, 6-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, dottyback, clown pair, rabbitfish, shrimp, crabs, CUC.
ACBlinky is offline   Reply With Quote