Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

Posting pix:

The easiest and most permanent way (not subject to any outside source's rules) is straight from your computer, which is of course free. Instead of 'post quick reply' select 'advanced' and scroll down on the resulting display until you see a 'manage attachments' blank. That will give you the option to select an image from your own computer. 'Browse'. There will be an 'upload' option. A code will appear down near that 'manage attachments'---click on it. That will actually upload the file as a thumbnail, and you are ready to post your comment. Once you post, the thumbnail moves up into your comment box. If a user clicks on your thumbnail, it will expand into a larger image. The result looks like this:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4428844942_d5844e09fe_b.jpg (104.3 KB, 235 views)

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 05:22 PM   #2
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Sk8r,

I have seen these thumbnails on several posts including this one. Once I click on the image, I get the circling Icon, but it never expands. For example, I clicked on the one in your comment and waited for two minutes and it never expanded. Am I doing something wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 02:51 AM   #3
Andi76
Registered Member

I use the app (Tapatalk) it’s as simple as sending an image through a text/imessage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Aiken, I do not know: it might be a setting on your computer. I'm not having trouble with it, nor are others. Can anybody offer a suggestion?

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 01/03/2018, 05:21 AM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm not sure why people have such issues? I have been using Imgur and its really no different then photobucket is/was.

In imgur you upload the photo, click on said photo, at the bottom click on huge thumbnail, then copy the [img]Photo url is here between the tags[/img] tags (referred to as BB code for message boards) into your post. Exactly the same as you use to do in photobucket with the exception of resizing(PB did that part for you).

Like this:

or even better since most people are using a mobile to take these photos, download the app Tapatalk. It's as simple as clicking on the new post button then clicking the plus sign. Tapatalk uploads directly from your mobile and sizes them correctly for viewing.

The best part about both of these methods is that you have full size photos within the post and no one has to click on the thumbnail to view the photo.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"

Last edited by homer1475; 01/03/2018 at 05:27 AM.
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 05:29 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Just a small FYI....

More often then not, uploading photos directly to this site as Sk8r pointed out, fails.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Sk8r,

I have seen these thumbnails on several posts including this one. Once I click on the image, I get the circling Icon, but it never expands. For example, I clicked on the one in your comment and waited for two minutes and it never expanded. Am I doing something wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The same thing happens to me if I simply click on the thumbnail.
What I found is if you right-click on the thumbnail and select "open in new tab" it will open the full sized image in the new tab just fine.

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Trying to keep this updated: Photobucket seems to have lowered their annual rate; and a lot of people are happy with smugmug. Places to look at least.

Unread 03/02/2018, 04:28 PM   #9
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Trying to keep this updated: Photobucket seems to have lowered their annual rate; and a lot of people are happy with smugmug. Places to look at least.

Trying straight from iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 04:03 AM   #10
johnwick12
Registered Member

anybuddy selling tuttles ???

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:48 AM   #11
jjencek
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Andi76;25316726]I use the app (Tapatalk) it’s as simple as sending an image through a text/imessage.

I don't know anything about Tapatalk or other "free" apps, but what keeps them from starting to charge fee when they become big with lots of customers?

If that happens all the archived messages on this forum stop displaying the great images we all added.

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 10:25 AM   #12
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

There is a ‘Tapatalk Pro’ that costs under $3, iirc. I got that, but, honestly, I’m not sure what difference it makes. Plus, I really prefer using RC through my browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Celtic_Fox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
The easiest and most permanent way (not subject to any outside source's rules) is straight from your computer, which is of course free. Instead of 'post quick reply' select 'advanced' and scroll down on the resulting display until you see a 'manage attachments' blank. That will give you the option to select an image from your own computer. 'Browse'. There will be an 'upload' option. A code will appear down near that 'manage attachments'---click on it. That will actually upload the file as a thumbnail, and you are ready to post your comment. Once you post, the thumbnail moves up into your comment box. If a user clicks on your thumbnail, it will expand into a larger image. The result looks like this:

Is there a limit to the amount of pictures we can post in this way? (I started using imgur but the URLs never seem to work right and I have to spend time editing them until the picture shows correctly and part of the URL isn't showing. I'd like to use this simpler way for my build thread.)

Current tank info: Red Sea Reefer 450 / Three Radion XR15w G3 Pros / Custom Lifereef Signature Series CLF1, SVS3-24 Skimmer, and Refugium / Barr Aquatics KR1020 Kalk Reactor / JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10
Celtic_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 06:41 AM   #14
GreenTankCorals
Registered Member

Thanks for the great tips. I have never used Tapatalk, seems like its worth a try.

GreenTankCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 12:43 PM   #15
npierce1015
Registered Member

Awesome advice thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

npierce1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Sk8r,

Thanks.

I have this problem sometimes. If I let it sit for a few seconds, then close the image popup, and then try it again it always works the second time.

Unread 07/16/2018, 06:42 PM   #17
Redeyes31
Registered Member

I Tried uploading a pic yesterday using the method Sk8r mentioned, which seemed the obvious way as I was trying to post but it didn't work. (Ive never used a forum so this is all foreign to me so far).

I just tried it again and I noticed this time, when trying to upload, in the upper part of that window it said upload failed. Didnt give me a reason as to why, but I wondered if the file was too large. I checked it, 2.7MB, not too crazy. Then I downsized it to 2MB and tried again, and it seems to be working, though I wont know until I hit the post reply button.

If it does work, heres my first tank! 1 week into cycle. 65g with 24g sump. Going for mixed reef with lots of gobies and dartfish and a mandarin and shrimp and crabs and snails.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180712_222320.jpg (41.1 KB, 72 views)
Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 07:04 PM   #18
rygar
Registered Member

trying something different

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxgLUQvm0vfqWUJzU

Last edited by rygar; 03/17/2019 at 07:54 PM.
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 08:03 PM   #19
rygar
Registered Member

20\

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote