Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2009, 03:48 AM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...4#post14751514

JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by OG GHOST
What's up RC my name is Hugo. I'm fairly new to the hobby a 1 1/2yr I started with a 30gal tall reef tank & quickly ran out of room for the hobby is addicting. I have a 80gal now with a built in overflow, loop system, 40gal sump, 20gal frag tank & a 10gal refugium & last but not least for the HART of my tank I have a Bubble King 200 best investment ever!!!!
hello hugo welcome aboard

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 03:54 AM   #3
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well this thread has split, im very grateful to tom murphy(waterkeeper) and scott (capn_hyliner) for their fantastic help with the kind welcomes given to the newbies here, thanks for the help guys. i havent gone through the entire list of newcommers yet but i estimate well in excess of 350 new members who have popped on here to say hello. lets hope the new thread created by the split welcomes another 350 ish new members.

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 04/03/2009, 06:27 AM   #4
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Well at least another 40 pages.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well this thread has split, im very grateful to tom murphy(waterkeeper) and scott (capn_hyliner) for their fantastic help with the kind welcomes given to the newbies here, thanks for the help guys. i havent gone through the entire list of newcommers yet but i estimate well in excess of 350 new members who have popped on here to say hello. lets hope the new thread created by the split welcomes another 350 ish new members.
thanks Michael--I am glad to be a part of this welcome thread. IMO it's very important to welcome new reefers in a postive and productive tone.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
just curious WK--how many new members are there in a month on RC?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/03/2009, 10:59 AM   #7
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

It varies here are the latest Statistics

Tom

Unread 04/03/2009, 11:58 AM   #8
JeSteR8533
Registered Member

Hi all, my name is Mitch I'm a 22 year old full time college student (majoring in business management) living in Edmond, Oklahoma. I'm extremely new to the hobby, I haven't purchased a tank or anything yet, just trying to learn as much as I can right now. I'm extremely excited to start up my own reef aquarium, I have always been fascinated by them, but now that I'm moving off campus into my own place as soon as this semester is over, my interest has exploded like never before. I was at a LFS yesterday and was given a card with this site printed on it, and the shop keeper highly reccomended it. So I've been on here reading as much as I can ever since. I think this is the most informative site I have seen so far

Anyways, I was hoping to get started as soon as I feel like I have an adaquate knowledge of reef tanks, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm bascially starting at ground zero right now o_O

Thanks

JeSteR8533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeSteR8533
Hi all, my name is Mitch I'm a 22 year old full time college student (majoring in business management) living in Edmond, Oklahoma. I'm extremely new to the hobby, I haven't purchased a tank or anything yet, just trying to learn as much as I can right now. I'm extremely excited to start up my own reef aquarium, I have always been fascinated by them, but now that I'm moving off campus into my own place as soon as this semester is over, my interest has exploded like never before. I was at a LFS yesterday and was given a card with this site printed on it, and the shop keeper highly reccomended it. So I've been on here reading as much as I can ever since. I think this is the most informative site I have seen so far

Anyways, I was hoping to get started as soon as I feel like I have an adaquate knowledge of reef tanks, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm bascially starting at ground zero right now o_O

Thanks
There are two excellent threads below this one by Waterkeeper and Whys. They make an excellent start for your here.
You do realize that business management and the reef hobby are an oxymoron
just as mortgages and lines of credit are inablers

To Reef Central

Unread 04/03/2009, 07:58 PM   #10
JeSteR8533
Registered Member

haha I suppose you're right :P

Yeah, I have been reading Waterkeepers thread all afternoon...SOOO helpful!!

JeSteR8533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 08:04 PM   #11
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by JeSteR8533

Yeah, I have been reading Waterkeepers thread all afternoon...SOOO helpful!!
Ahhh, it does my heart good. Another gullible Newbie destined for failure.

Tom

Unread 04/03/2009, 08:47 PM   #12
kenqc
Registered Member

been posting for about a week or so...

So it is time that I said hi. My name is Ken and I live in Webster, NY. I have been involved in fishkeeping for most of my life with several breaks in between tanks. I have had fish only and the beginning of reef tanks. I have 3 kids, Blake who is 2, Brittinee is 16 and KC is 12. We are into hockey with my two oldest currently playing travel hockey. We love to travel, especially cruising where we observe many of the fish found in the hobby in their natural habitat.

I am a financial advisor and I have been in the business for 14 years. My spouse works in retail. Ultimately, I would like to upgrade to a larger tank so that I can keep tangs and angels.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal beginning reef and 50 gal fowlrs
kenqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: been posting for about a week or so...

Quote:
Originally posted by kenqc
So it is time that I said hi. My name is Ken and I live in Webster, NY. I have been involved in fishkeeping for most of my life with several breaks in between tanks. I have had fish only and the beginning of reef tanks. I have 3 kids, Blake who is 2, Brittinee is 16 and KC is 12. We are into hockey with my two oldest currently playing travel hockey. We love to travel, especially cruising where we observe many of the fish found in the hobby in their natural habitat.

I am a financial advisor and I have been in the business for 14 years. My spouse works in retail. Ultimately, I would like to upgrade to a larger tank so that I can keep tangs and angels.

To Reef Central

glad to see that you are posting on RC. Alot of us could have used a financial advisor before getting into this hobby. Now there is no hope for us

Unread 04/04/2009, 08:28 AM   #14
cameronesyaqua
Registered Member

My name is Christy and I live in San Diego, CA. I got bit by the fish bug again in the middle of last year when a local pet store gave my classroom a full freshwater setup (I'm a teacher). I haven't had a saltwater setup since the mid-nineties and really wanted to give it another shot, this time doing my research and getting it as close to right as possible. I spent six months reading, researching, and buying those choice items off of Craig's List and our local club bb whenever possible.

I have a 120 gal. tank, 30 gal. sump, and 35 gal. display refugium that has now been setup and running for 4 weeks. I bought 150 lbs. of live rock straight out of another reefers tank and added 120 lbs. live sand. I was planning on doing FOWLR for a while to get my bearings, but the rock had several beautiful colonies of Zoos on it and so now I want more corals. My CUC (stomatellas and 3 hermits -- which also came with the rock) has been doing a beautiful job of keeping my tank clean (diatom bloom lasted 4 days) and Coralline algae growth has begun on the tank itself. There are no fish yet, as my QT tank is not finished cycling (another week maybe). I'm off to MAX expo today to get more knowledge and perhaps bring home a few goodies to finally add to my tank.

cameronesyaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Aquarist007
Registered Member

To Reef Central

I hope you will setup a build thread on here and post some pictures of your tank.
Look forward to seeing them

Unread 04/04/2009, 03:47 PM   #16
Too Sweet
Registered Member

OK...
I've got the 75gal. tank, the lighting, the wet/dry pump w/ a sump, the protein skimmer on the way, my wave makers are also on its way. Oh I also bought 60lbs of live sand and 60lbs of regular sand a total of 120lbs of sand.

In a few weeks I will be setting it up and will need every bit of encouragement and in the next few days.

I have a question the 60lbs of sand already has the bacteria added to it... Should I add anymore bacteria to the tank?

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2009, 05:25 PM   #17
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Game Warden

To Reef Central

I take it you have the packaged "Live Sand". I'd look at getting about 30 more pounds of true LS from an on-line source. It will provide a higher microorganism diversity in the bed and will also contain the worms and other bitty things that make LS really live.

You might also get some sand form the beach down there but I wouldn't want you to break any laws.

Tom

Unread 04/04/2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Yes it is the packaged live sand.... I will figure out getting the real live sand......;-)

Does anyone know of any on-line souce that ships coral, fishes...etc to the US Virgin Islands. I've looked at many sites and contacted them but they don't ship international... we ARE a US territory so I don't get the international part. We have DHL, UPS, FedX and the USPS.

Unread 04/04/2009, 08:08 PM   #19
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

That's one I can't answer. I would think it would be fine to ship most livestick but there is always the issue of Caulerpa, that was dumped on the Pacific coast and is now a invasive algae. I would think there are wholesale sellers on your island as there are often Caribbean fish on the market.

Tom

Unread 04/05/2009, 01:54 AM   #20
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper

MIKE

Unread 04/05/2009, 03:16 AM   #21
tkriverman
Registered Member

Cool New Guy

Hi all,
Just thought I'd finally do a post after reading for a couple months. I currently live in Watertown. Getting ready to set up a 72 x 18 x 22. Probably start sometime in Mid May, when I get back from the giant sandbox. I was talking to Tim from ABC VIA email about getting a tank. Tried PETCO, they say they are discontinuing thier large tanks, over 75 Gal. They ordered me one, but it was supposed to be in last thursday, asked me to give them one more week. (My wife is dealing with them for us) If it's not in by the 9th, I'll probably go with ABC. Looking for info on good places to buy stuff. Here's what my setup plan is.

125 Gal RR
100 lbs Base rock
25 lbs live rock
Possibly drilled for closed loop (if not I will DIY One)
I want to run 6 80w T5's using 3 workhorse 7 ballasts
DIY stand and canopy
5" DSB
Still working on stocking list
Wifes list (want's everything lol)
My list for starters
hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion Percula)
Mandarin Dragonet After about 1 yr (Synchiropus splendidus)

Just a beginning, I have alot more I'd like but still researching care and feeding, compatibility etc...

and of course corals.

40 Long DIY sump with FUGE

About 600 GPH thru sump / 250 GPH thru Fuge
Have some powerpoint drawings I made up, showing plumbing baffles etc..I'll post later
Have done alot of reading / studying for the past 15 months, I will start a build thread with pictures when I finally get back and start the ball rolling.

tkriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2009, 06:42 AM   #22
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Understand Waterkeeper

I got the timer for my lights. The hood has three plug-ins for the different type of light. Is there a particular way/time I should run these lights?

Unread 04/05/2009, 08:26 AM   #23
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: New Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tkriverman
Hi all,
Just thought I'd finally do a post after reading for a couple months. I currently live in Watertown. Getting ready to set up a 72 x 18 x 22. Probably start sometime in Mid May, when I get back from the giant sandbox. I was talking to Tim from ABC VIA email about getting a tank. Tried PETCO, they say they are discontinuing thier large tanks, over 75 Gal. They ordered me one, but it was supposed to be in last thursday, asked me to give them one more week. (My wife is dealing with them for us) If it's not in by the 9th, I'll probably go with ABC. Looking for info on good places to buy stuff. Here's what my setup plan is.

125 Gal RR
100 lbs Base rock
25 lbs live rock
Possibly drilled for closed loop (if not I will DIY One)
I want to run 6 80w T5's using 3 workhorse 7 ballasts
DIY stand and canopy
5" DSB
Still working on stocking list
Wifes list (want's everything lol)
My list for starters
hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion Percula)
Mandarin Dragonet After about 1 yr (Synchiropus splendidus)

Just a beginning, I have alot more I'd like but still researching care and feeding, compatibility etc...

and of course corals.

40 Long DIY sump with FUGE

About 600 GPH thru sump / 250 GPH thru Fuge
Have some powerpoint drawings I made up, showing plumbing baffles etc..I'll post later
Have done alot of reading / studying for the past 15 months, I will start a build thread with pictures when I finally get back and start the ball rolling.
the list looks good and its great to plan that way. Whys list in the thread below this should be of some help.
One caution----IMO stay away from the deep sand bed in the display tank---very controversial now as to their effectiveness.
I would limit the sand to 1-2 inches.
Later on if you feel the need for a deep sand bed you can run it remotely as in a refugium. That way it is easier to maintain and keeps some of the possible problems with it out of the display tank.

To Reef Central

Unread 04/05/2009, 08:29 AM   #24
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Sweet
Understand Waterkeeper

I got the timer for my lights. The hood has three plug-ins for the different type of light. Is there a particular way/time I should run these lights?
What kind of light system is it? It sounds like a t-5 system. Do you know the manufacturer of it?
This information will help us give you the proper answer.

Unread 04/05/2009, 09:17 AM   #25
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Yes, this is the light that I have:
Odyssea 48" 260W Power Compact Aquarium Lighting Reef
Support: 4x 65W PC Bulb, 4x Bluemoon LED. CE Approved

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral