Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2009, 12:30 PM   #51
Rukis
Moved On

What's up fellas?? Just joined, we'll see how things go.

Rukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 01:19 PM   #52
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hope they go well

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 06:26 PM   #53
ImASaltyDogg
Registered Member

Hi everyone...Im new here and am just getting into the whole saltwater thing...I have had freshwater tanks before but think this is going to be a cool, colorfull, but expensive hobby ...

Isaiah 41:31
They who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up on wings as an eagle. They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

Current Tank Info: 2.5, 5.5, 10, 55 gallon all saltwater
ImASaltyDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 08:34 PM   #54
LovenBama
Registered Member

Hi everyone, hope you and your tanks are all doin well. I'm Virginia and I'm new to RC and new to the hobby thanks to my sister and her hubby. They had a 75g and decided to up to a 180 and I thought I'd take the 75g and give it a try "wow there went the kids college..lol" Anyhow, I bought a new tank and had my stand custom made with custom handcarved panels and finished it myself and it looks super. My sister and her hubbby gave me thier old pump and sump and I was now "Hooked" tank has been up and runnin 4 months now and I love it...Thanks Big Girl!

LovenBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 08:46 PM   #55
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Dogg and Virginia

To Reef Central

New Recruit PT at 4 AM!

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 10:12 PM   #56
Too Sweet
Registered Member

HELP! Dori (regal tang) looks like she is full of ich again

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 10:56 PM   #57
OSUALUM78
Registered Member

Cool Newbie here

Hello all

Newbie here

I currently work at Petco (a national pet store retailer in the States for those outside of the great USA), so I have very limited knowledge into the aquatic world. I'd quantify myself as a novice at best I guess (comparatively speaking to those whom have PHDs and what not).

Anyways, the wife wanted a small dog but changed her mind for a tank.

On order is a AGA (aka Aqueon) 75G single overflow (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...w-overflow.htm)(48x18x20), with model 3 sump system, and sump overflow acc kit, stand, and I've got one set of versa glass top and another on the way too.

I initially would have done a 210G aggressive setup but have since decided that size is too much for me to deal with, especially if we ever have to move. In that setup I would have done a Humu (Picasso trigger), a Snowflake eel, a Volitan lion, maybe an angler, and maybe pink tail trigger or box puffer or something. Whatever. Moot point now. Not going to go that big (eventhough my store just clearanced the 210G dual overflow from $950 to $300 (tank, stand, glass, model 4 sump, 2 sump acc kits, and sales tax = just over $1300 for the initial 210G setup = enticing )

So you see above what I got on order and can't wait to get my reef setup going. Going for a community peaceful/possible semi-aggressive fish, and some anemone, LPS, SPS, brain corals, mushrooms, zoanthids, and or other polyps and corals. Just not really fond of leathers. Some stars and a LSB urchin may find its way in. Not decided on a cleanup crew yet, but will probably consist of some cleaner and sexy shrimp among them.

I am getting the 75G overflow tank for $200, the stand for $52, the glass for $3 per set, the sump for $415, and the sump acc kit for $77. Not a bad deal I guess.

Will need help with other "hardware" in getting my setup going for proper reef keeping, and I'm sure I'm going to have various other questions along the way. I am not trying to break the bank in doing this, which I guess is a not the right hobby or lifestyle to get into; and one would say why are you doing this then? My answer: because you only live this life once.

My list of books to help me along the way include (not buying from here, just examples of the books I know I will need among them):

http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-G.../dp/1890087386 (we rely on this one at work for us and for the customers' sake)

http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-G...ref=pd_sim_b_7 (we also use this one at work too)

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Coral...sxp_grid_i_0_0

http://www.amazon.com/Corals-Quick-R...ref=pd_sxp_f_i

Any input on what I've got going so far is greatly appreciated

Last edited by OSUALUM78; 04/08/2009 at 11:09 PM.
OSUALUM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2009, 11:12 PM   #58
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Sweet
HELP! Dori (regal tang) looks like she is full of ich again
if dori has itch she will need to be quarenteend and treated with copper treatment or hypo, have a look here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1500214

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 04/08/2009, 11:20 PM   #59
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Newbie here

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUALUM78
Hello all

Newbie here

I currently work at Petco (a national pet store retailer in the States for those outside of the great USA), so I have very limited knowledge into the aquatic world. I'd quantify myself as a novice at best I guess (comparatively speaking to those whom have PHDs and what not).

Anyways, the wife wanted a small dog but changed her mind for a tank.

On order is a AGA (aka Aqueon) 75G single overflow (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...w-overflow.htm)(48x18x20), with model 3 sump system, and sump overflow acc kit, stand, and I've got one set of versa glass top and another on the way too.

I initially would have done a 210G aggressive setup but have since decided that size is too much for me to deal with, especially if we ever have to move. In that setup I would have done a Humu (Picasso trigger), a Snowflake eel, a Volitan lion, maybe an angler, and maybe pink tail trigger or box puffer or something. Whatever. Moot point now. Not going to go that big (eventhough my store just clearanced the 210G dual overflow from $950 to $300 (tank, stand, glass, model 4 sump, 2 sump acc kits, and sales tax = just over $1300 for the initial 210G setup = enticing )

So you see above what I got on order and can't wait to get my reef setup going. Going for a community peaceful/possible semi-aggressive fish, and some anemone, LPS, SPS, brain corals, mushrooms, zoanthids, and or other polyps and corals. Just not really fond of leathers. Some stars and a LSB urchin may find its way in. Not decided on a cleanup crew yet, but will probably consist of some cleaner and sexy shrimp among them.

I am getting the 75G overflow tank for $200, the stand for $52, the glass for $3 per set, the sump for $415, and the sump acc kit for $77. Not a bad deal I guess.

Will need help with other "hardware" in getting my setup going for proper reef keeping, and I'm sure I'm going to have various other questions along the way. I am not trying to break the bank in doing this, which I guess is a not the right hobby or lifestyle to get into; and one would say why are you doing this then? My answer: because you only live this life once.

My list of books to help me along the way include (not buying from here, just examples of the books I know I will need among them):

http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-G.../dp/1890087386 (we rely on this one at work for us and for the customers' sake)

http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-G...ref=pd_sim_b_7 (we also use this one at work too)

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Coral...sxp_grid_i_0_0

http://www.amazon.com/Corals-Quick-R...ref=pd_sxp_f_i

Any input on what I've got going so far is greatly appreciated
well im not familliar with the tank, perhaps waterkeeper or the capn can comment on it, however i think a 75 gallon tank is a good size, as for stock, well id slow down there, just take your time, forget about an anemone for a long time as well, i personally think 2 or 3 small peaceful fish and a nice selection of easier to keep corals would be a nice looking tank for you and its easy to maintain especially as your a novice, just add any stock slowly and dont rush it, it can take months to get a decent amount of stock in, hope you keep us informed of the progress and nice to see you here

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/08/2009, 11:28 PM   #60
OSUALUM78
Registered Member

Re: Re: Newbie here

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well im not familliar with the tank, perhaps waterkeeper or the capn can comment on it, however i think a 75 gallon tank is a good size, as for stock, well id slow down there, just take your time, forget about an anemone for a long time as well, i personally think 2 or 3 small peaceful fish and a nice selection of easier to keep corals would be a nice looking tank for you and its easy to maintain especially as your a novice, just add any stock slowly and dont rush it, it can take months to get a decent amount of stock in, hope you keep us informed of the progress and nice to see you here

To Reef Central
Of course. I don't plan to have it fully stocked with what I want until at least a 1 year time frame if not more (probably more). I want a well established tank before I go into getting high care level items. Maybe I understated my experience/knowledge at first. I quantify myself as a novice b/c this is my first tank ever but I do know more than some guy off the street; and I'm sure most will tell me I'm crazy for going salt and/or salt reef for my first tank ever instead of going fresh first.

Tank = http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...w-overflow.htm (75 E Gallon black trim)

I'll have to reply with sump brand hopefully by next Tuesday 04/14 when my tank, stand, sump, and other set of glass top should be in. I know the model 2 was rated up to 75G and I opted for the next model up. The highest model (model 4) was for a 150G/210G setup which wouldn't fit in my stand. All the models are a 3 stage filtration sump. Once I get more specific info on the hardware I'll post up the info.

Gotta get my hardware set and get going on my rock and bed setup first, then gonna cycle the tank with some Humbugs or Dominos or some other damsel I don't like (that will be bought, used to cycle, then relinquished back to my store) then go from there.

I've got lots of local help to get me in the right direction too. But I'd rather have the most help to make sure I am doing things right for the sake of the aquatic life as well as my wallet.

Last edited by OSUALUM78; 04/08/2009 at 11:43 PM.
Unread 04/08/2009, 11:50 PM   #61
OSUALUM78
Registered Member

Re: Re: Newbie here

Quote:

To Reef Central [/B]
BTW, thanks for the welcome, and I'd hate to break it to ya, but I'm one of those Yanks that is a Gunners fanatic

And my bro is a freakin MU fan

Unread 04/08/2009, 11:55 PM   #62
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Re: Re: Newbie here

BTW, thanks for the welcome, and I'd hate to break it to ya, but I'm one of those Yanks that is a Gunners fanatic

And my bro is a freakin MU fan
[/QUOTE]

well we all have our faults

MIKE

Unread 04/09/2009, 09:50 AM   #63
seatree
Registered Member

Hi

I'm a beginner...no tank set up yet, but wanting to learn as much as possible before I start.

seatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2009, 10:03 AM   #64
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by seatree
I'm a beginner...no tank set up yet, but wanting to learn as much as possible before I start.
what a great attitude, i really hope you have success, the stickys at the top of this forum by waterkeeper is a great place to start, welcome to the forum

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/09/2009, 10:59 AM   #65
mr86mister
Saltaholic

Hey Everyone! I'm new to RC! Have been into freshwater since I was 2 years old when I had my first tank. I'm running about 2 years of experience with saltwater and am finally getting my first large tank. I'm getting a 75 with stand next week to upgrade my 46 Bowfront. I'm excited to finally have a large tank and get things going with the proper lighting. Hoping to get to know people here well and I have already joined my Regional forums. Thanks!!

Current Tank Info: I like turtles.....
mr86mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2009, 03:11 PM   #66
woochild86
Registered Member

New to RC

Hello everyone! My name is Ryan I am new to RC and have only been reefing for about a year and I am hooked so bad that I am blowing all of my money on it, and spending time learning from reading threads on RC and talking to other reefers. This website is awesome there is so much knowledge here it's awesome.

woochild86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 12:07 AM   #67
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hi-mr86, hi-ryan welcome to both of you,welcome to the world of money laundering,lol nice to see you both here

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/10/2009, 09:56 AM   #68
ilikethesea
Registered Member

Hello everybody, seesick made me see the wisdom of having a salt tank. I am very new to salt aquariums, but I do have a little experience with fresh water tanks.

Unread 04/10/2009, 10:59 AM   #69
Sam2000001
Registered Member

Hey guys, been browsing for a while here, but new to posting so saying hello!

Sam2000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 11:04 AM   #70
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilikethesea
Hello everybody, seesick made me see the wisdom of having a salt tank. I am very new to salt aquariums, but I do have a little experience with fresh water tanks.
welcome to the hobby--you will find a big difference with salt water from fresh water aquariums

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 11:05 AM   #71
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam2000001
Hey guys, been browsing for a while here, but new to posting so saying hello!
you may been browsing for a while put you are not posting--welcome to the dark side

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/10/2009, 01:49 PM   #72
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
welcome to the hobby--you will find a big difference with salt water from fresh water aquariums
Yes indeed, your cat won't drink out of the saltwater tank and you can't get a skimmer to skim on a freshwater.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 07:54 AM   #73
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well ive just read back through all 43 pages, yes quite a task in itself, and basically since the thread was first started on 31st december last year which is 3 and a half months ago 346 posters have said hello on the thread, waterkeeper, capn-hyliner and myself were the most prolific posters, however we also had bills reef and spliefy and approx 6-7 other established members post as well, 2 newcommers have already been moved on (gasp) and mr murphy even discovered a troll on here, (lol) overall its been a success, approx 30 members a week saying hello.

hey WK how many members join each week on average? some are getting past us and not posting, we need to get them

a great thread so far, well done all who have participated

MIKE

Unread 04/11/2009, 12:19 PM   #74
bmayzgirl
Registered Member

Hello all, yes I am a newbie. My name is Chrisie, have had an aquarium for 10 months now, and have fallen head over heals for the saltwater world. I am so excited about all the new things I learn every day.........the good and the bad! BTW happy Easter to all.

bmayzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 01:08 PM   #75
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well ive just read back through all 43 pages, yes quite a task in itself, and basically since the thread was first started on 31st december last year which is 3 and a half months ago 346 posters have said hello on the thread, waterkeeper, capn-hyliner and myself were the most prolific posters, however we also had bills reef and spliefy and approx 6-7 other established members post as well, 2 newcommers have already been moved on (gasp) and mr murphy even discovered a troll on here, (lol) overall its been a success, approx 30 members a week saying hello.

hey WK how many members join each week on average? some are getting past us and not posting, we need to get them

a great thread so far, well done all who have participated
Michael--WK posted the stats when I asked a couple of pages back

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral