Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2009, 07:07 AM   #101
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PRDubois
Welcome Kevin
Paul if you are going to welcome officially--do it right

its the word welcome inside these brackets [ ]

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 09:21 AM   #102
nanonubey
Shogun

Thanks Capn I'll do that.

250 DD, Nanoseascreations custom sump and reactor with Seaslug bio pellets , (2) 400w MH Lumen max2 (20k Radium) and (2) 80w ATI aqua blue plus t-5's ,(2) Tunze 6105's w Tunze 7095, (2) Vortech mp40w es,ReefKeeper Elite, JBJ ATO, Reef octopus extreme 200, and Arctica 1/5 chiller.

RR 20l frag tank, Nova Extreme light with ATI bulbs, (12) bulb d.i.y. reefledlights.com , (1)Vortech MP10es.

" My girlfriend hates when I use the F word in any of it's various forms, fish, fish tank, fish store...."

" Ninja fish trips weekly"
nanonubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 06:58 AM   #103
aborrero4u
Registered Member

Hey, my name is Alex and i am new to reef central.i came across this site after someone mentioned it to me on ratemyfishtank.com. im 23 years old and am getting back into fish tanks.i have a 72 gallon bow bront tank with a fluval 405, whisper 100 and an aqua clear 70 so far. as i i said im just getting back into it. the tank has yet to be established. i used to have a freshwater set up but my dad did alot of the maintenance, but i picked up on what he was doing and have a general knowledge of how to run a tank.after long and extensive contemplating, i have decided to do a fowlr tank, saltwater setup.i understand that it is alot of maintenance and time consuming, but it is well worth it. Have you ever seen a fishtank when your drunk, let alone sobe, its beautiful i tell you, forget about it.anyways ive never done a saltwater,but i have some questions and concerns that i would like to add, which i will post in the appropriate thread.if there is anyone who is willing to talk over email or the phone, please let me know.i have been reading for about a month now, and am a novice in a saltwater setup.any insight and insight will be greatly appreciated.i know this site has a lot to offer and there are alot more knowledgeable people then I am with respect to maintaining a saltwater tank.just wanted to introduce myself, there.This site rocks

aborrero4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 09:15 AM   #104
jrg345
Registered Member

Hi.

I used to have marine community tanks. I started with a 35 and found that way too hard to keep stable. I then set up a 125 which was far easier to care for. I had to move and the tanks could not move with me.

That was over 15 years ago. I am really interested in getting back into the hobby. Not only that, but I have always wanted to set up a reef tank. Yes, I know that is not for the faint of heart, but we all have our dreams.

Since I have been away for such a long time, I am out of touch with the state of the art. I asked at Tampa Bay Saltwater for some advise on setting up and was referred here. Seems like an active community. I will try to find the proper forum to post my equipment questions.

Hope to fine a friendly helpful community where I can get some information and eventually contribute back.

jrg345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 09:31 AM   #105
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Alex & JRG

To Reef Central

Alex,

I hate it when I'm drunk as I usually see the tank from the inside and scare the fish.

JRG,

Take a look at Look Here for Answers and [rk] to help get up to speed on modern methods.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 11:18 AM   #106
jrg345
Registered Member

Thanks WaterKeeper.

jrg345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 12:55 PM   #107
Adv4Justice
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Adv4Justice aka Christy here my DH and I are new to owning a reef tank ( 75g w/ refugium to be completed ) and never had a saltwater tank I had fresh as a kiddo. I do live in Jacksonville and grew up fishing saltwater, using shrimp and finger mullet as live bait along with fiddler crabs, sand fleas. I have Snorkeled the Keys and Caribbean. I know its like jumping in the deep end to learn how to swim but I'm smart, Patient and darnit people like me..LOL

---The reef speaks for itself

Current Tank Info: 90g reef ready w/ SeaLife Sys Rfmstr Pro Refug & Ca2200 pump w/Skmmr, return pump Magum 9.5, Aqualite Pro 250w MH, Actinic, Moon integrated
Adv4Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 01:21 PM   #108
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Adv4Justice
I'm smart, Patient and darnit people like me..LOL
You are smart to come to RC and patience is a must with reef tanks. We'll see about you last argument counselor.

Hi Christy

To Reef Central

Tom

Unread 04/17/2009, 10:10 PM   #109
v13tfolife
Registered Member

So should i add some live sand in there as well and mixes it up?, and is a 65 watt power compact light enough for soft corals and anemonie?thank you for helping me out. -KEvin

Unread 04/17/2009, 10:12 PM   #110
v13tfolife
Registered Member

Also wut is the most important thing u need to test for reef aquariums. i have nitrate, nitrite, anmonia, high range ph, calcium. what else do i need?, my nitrite nitrate anmonia are all 0, ph is 8.4.

Unread 04/17/2009, 10:24 PM   #111
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by v13tfolife
Also wut is the most important thing u need to test for reef aquariums. i have nitrate, nitrite, anmonia, high range ph, calcium. what else do i need?, my nitrite nitrate anmonia are all 0, ph is 8.4.
Here are some ranges for tests you should be making:
calcium 400 or more ppm
alkalinity 8-11 dKh
magnesium 1300 ppm
salinity 1.026

you should not consider an anemone for at least six months of tank operation. The light you have would be challenging for keeping an anemone happy. You would be alright for some low level lps and softies.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 10:55 PM   #112
v13tfolife
Registered Member

thanks alot. but wut if i get 2 24inch or 36 inch t5 in there plus a power compact. will that be ok for anemonie and other corals>?. should i also add some live sand to my cruch coral to mix it up ?. thanks alot for giving me a lot of help

Unread 04/18/2009, 07:28 AM   #113
dreminon
Registered Member

Hello reef central My name is Tommy. been interested in doing a reef tank for a long time now. I have to fresh water tanks right now. doing my research on the equipment and stuff i am going to get for my first reef tank.

dreminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2009, 09:15 AM   #114
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by dreminon
Hello reef central My name is Tommy. been interested in doing a reef tank for a long time now. I have to fresh water tanks right now. doing my research on the equipment and stuff i am going to get for my first reef tank.
hello-tommy, thanks for introducing yourself here, its great to see you, have a look at waterkeepers stickys under this thread here on the new to the hobby forum for a great starting point and any particular questions please just ask, some great guys regually browse this thread and your sure to get some help, welcome to the forum and to reef central

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2009, 02:56 PM   #115
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Tommy can ou hear me? Can you hear me calling?

Use your FW tank experience but remember that a SW tank demand a different degree of husbandry. Stocking levels are far below what you are using in a FW tank and water quality is paramount. Take it slow and do that research before you start the tank.

Tom

Unread 04/18/2009, 10:46 PM   #116
v13tfolife
Registered Member

Please help, i have one slight problem, i brought a red sea alkalinity test kit. and it only measures 0-1.6 as low, 1.7-2.8 sd normal, and 2.9-3.6 as high it measures milli equaivalents per liter. mine is as high but capn_hylinur told me my alkilinty should be alkalinity 8-11 dKh, so i dont really get it. is this a wrong test kit.

Unread 04/18/2009, 11:57 PM   #117
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

the kit is fine, basically dkh is a scale or measurement we use, the kit you have still measures the hardness (kh) but in a different scale, you need to convert the reading to dkh so we understand the reading, however if you post up your result and what its in then we could confirm if the reading is satisfactory or high/low etc, not everyone uses dkh for measurements, your reading is probably in meq/l and a good result would be anything between 2.86 and 4.3, this is approx 8-12 dkh

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 01:19 AM   #118
v13tfolife
Registered Member

mine is around 3.0- 4.0, but thanxz alot.

Unread 04/19/2009, 06:57 PM   #119
Temptress
Registered Member

Hey folks! VERY new to reef keeping here.. like a week? I have a 14g oceanic biocube with 12lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand.. 3 tiny frags of coral.. I have kept LOTS of freshwater aquariums.. I have a 20xtra high set up and a 5gal set up right now.. a 75g is bought waiting for the DIY stand to be completed and a 55g empty in the garage.. likely to become a SW tank one day =) I hope to find lots of good information here.. certainly looking forward to running a successful reef tank

Also, looking for other reefers in the area.. Southern Minnesota

Temptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2009, 06:59 PM   #120
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

1meq/L = 2.8dKH= 50ppm

Tom

Unread 04/20/2009, 04:46 PM   #121
PolandSpring
Registered Member

hi, im Polandspring, i am new to the hobby.. just buying a 90gal tank MH 2x175w/VHO 2x110w, RR, i've had brackish, african ciclids, for 6 years now, in a 65gal and now upgrading to salt.. im excited to learn and start up a greeat tankkk ;D; D; D: D xD

PolandSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 04:51 PM   #122
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Poland

To Reef Central

Watch out for that Spring water. It is often just carbon filtered tap water. Insist on RO/DI.

Tom

Unread 04/20/2009, 06:46 PM   #123
Bluemermaidgirl
Registered Member

Talking Hello!

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie to the aquarium setting, although I did have a freshwater fish when I was younger this is obviously a very different game. I bought a 50 gallon tank ( I bought around 2-3 months) I have bought the following items.

Magnum 350 Filter with Biowheel
Seaclone Protein Skimmer
Megaflow Sump
CPS Siphon Overflow system ( I didn't have a predrilled system)
Elite heater
T5 Lighting System

Today I have put in the salt water and tested out all the equipment everything works beautifully, except the filter which I will look at it carefully. I am planning to buy live rock later this week and then maybe a couple of days later the sand substrate.. after that HOPEFULLY some fishes!! I still also have to buy my test kit and thermometer. If anyone has some tips for me let me know.

Shweta
P.S. How much live rock should I buy?

Bluemermaidgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2009, 06:50 PM   #124
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Shweta

To Reef Central

You'll need about 50lb of LR and someone to lecture you on the biowheel, and need I say it, Seaclone.

Tom

Unread 04/21/2009, 04:20 AM   #125
jamescnz
Registered Member

New to reefcentral

Hi all new to the forum and the hobby!

I'm actually an internet marketer and have been making a little money from selling tanks online. as I've been going along I've become fascinated with the hobby!

I really like the idea of starting a reef tank, and would love some info on how I should go about getting started, and what tank would be good to start with.

Regards

James

jamescnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral