Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2021, 02:51 PM   #1
crankbait09
Registered Member

50 or 60 gallon - splitting hairs?

I am debating between a 24 x 24 cube (50 gallon)
or a 32 x 24 "cube" (60 gallon)

Volume is so close, but it has a few hundred dollar price difference. The only big difference that I can see that could benefit me is the volume. But we are only talking about 10 gallons.

Has anyone had both that could weight in on this to help persuade me? (taking the cost out of the equation) Bigger, to me, is always better. but I would only be gaining 8" in length.

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

If cost is not a big factor id go larger if it fits the area you intend, the extra 8" might make a big diff with the rock layout & access to cleaning the glass inside etc..I wish my existing tank was 8" wider believe me! LOL.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2021, 03:04 PM   #3
crankbait09
Registered Member

I hear that. Although I only had one reef tank, it was 6ft long, but only 18 deep (front to back, I always wished it were a tad more deeper.

I guess same rule would apply here.

Either one will fit where I want it to go.......so it comes down to making the move.

Unread 04/26/2021, 05:13 PM   #4
crankbait09
Registered Member

Now I think I'm leaning more towards the 80 gallon. (32 x 24 x 24)
little deeper than the 50 and 60 gallon tanks.
I don't want to go any longer than 32" so this is what I would top out at.

Unread 04/27/2021, 09:10 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Do it now. You will always want a bigger tank.

Unread 04/28/2021, 06:17 AM   #6
Timfish
Registered Member

Always go bigger.

Unread 04/30/2021, 01:10 PM   #7
crankbait09
Registered Member

I am now leaning more towards an 80g due to overall size. It'll still fit where I'd like it to go (32 x 24 x 24)

Unread 04/30/2021, 07:37 PM   #8
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

If you can fit a bigger tank where you plan to put it, get the bigger tank.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2021, 09:15 AM   #9
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
If you can fit a bigger tank where you plan to put it, get the bigger tank.
Great advice for fishtanks and TVs!

Going bigger expands your fish and aquascape opportunities. The added water also makes it easier to keep your parameters stable. I'll concede that the stability difference between a 50 and an 80g tank is minimal, but it's something. That benefit is most applicable to discussing a nano vs a larger tank.

The downside is the cost of equipment and rock. 32" is a bit awkward to light, and you'll probably need more powerheads as well. It's too wide for a single LED light, and too short for a 36" T5 rig to look just right. I'd go with a pair of XR15 G5s (or similar light), or a 36" T5 fixture...hopefully with LED supplementation.
That sucks up front, but you'll forget about the pain after a few months, haha.

My reef tank is a great example of this issue. I had a 120, but didn't want to put it on the second floor of a house I was renting. I bought a 2' cube to hold me over. I moved back to OK and now have a concrete foundation...so I'm thinking it's 120g time again.
But no...there's no good place to put a 120g, so I'm still running my 2' cube. It's a great looking tank, but it'll never be what the bigger tank was.

Also, stick to the 2' depth. It's great for aquascaping, especially when you have to work around an overflow. 18" is frustratingly shallow. I also like 2' for height, but 18-20" is also fine if you have to.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2021, 11:20 PM   #10
fromjuan
Registered Member

I would definitely go with the bigger 80 gallon tank. As already mentioned the big concern for me would be wanting to add T5 fixtures onto a 32" tank.

fromjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2021, 04:29 PM   #11
crankbait09
Registered Member

Luckily, I am able to re-purpose pretty much everything that I had for my 135. I did sell the lights so that's the only thing I will need. I'm a long way off from lights, so maybe that will buy me some time. One light at a time will definitely help the wallet I've been looking at those XR15's also

I have a pair of Maxspect XF250 Gyres that I hope will work nicely on the 80. I do have some Hydor 1500's that I started with, prior to the Gyre. So there is that if needed.

Unread 05/05/2021, 07:58 PM   #12
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Given that info, I'd definitely go with the 80g and buy a pair of XR15s.

There are other LEDs that will do a great job, but I'm really impressed with my XR15 that I recently bought. I have a G5 and I think it's much better than the G4s and older that I've seen. The spread and color is the closest LED match to T5/MH lighting that I've seen. I have the Pro, not the Blue, and I prefer a less blue tank color.

Unread 05/06/2021, 02:31 PM   #13
crankbait09
Registered Member

Order placed......the 80g rimless set up is on it's way. I'll definitely look into the XR15's. Im a ways from that point, but will post up pictures of my progress as it moved forward

Unread 05/06/2021, 05:51 PM   #14
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

BRS has a great video on LED lighting that you should watch. They're super long, but it does a good job explaining the bang for the buck from each light. There are cheaper ways than dropping $1K on a pair of XR15s, and they'll do a great job growing coral. I think G5 change to the amount of LEDs, which reduces the disco effect, is what makes the biggest visual difference. I've seen G3s and G4s over tanks next to AI lights. The difference wasn't nearly as significiant.

Watch the video before committing. It's a lot easier to buy one expensive light and say, "Hey, this is the best, you should get it!"
It's something else to need multiple lights and get most of the look, all of the growing power, and spend less. I'm not sure what you'd save going with another solid brand, but it's worth consideration. I love my Ecotech stuff, but it's definitely not the end all, be all.