Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2014, 04:40 PM   #1
tassod
Registered Member

Setting up my new carpet tank

Well i'm finally getting close to getting my new "carpet" tank ready to go. The new tank is in place finally and now i just need to setup my pumbing, lighting, etc...

For all you haddoni owners out there...what type of substrate do you use and how deep is it? I know recommended depth for haddonis is at least 4" but wanted to see what everyone has going. What would be the best substrate to go with?

tassod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 04:51 PM   #2
nemmy
Registered Member

I've been researching too. Pick one up tomorrow. From what I've seen people say "don't worry about grain size" of the substrate. I'd wait for expert opinion though.

nemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 07:25 PM   #3
E.intheC
Registered Member

I used Reef Floor special grade on my last haddoni tank. One tip I have- build up a mound of sand about 4-5 inches deep where you want the anemone to stay. That way you don't need to have the entire tank full of sand at those depths.

Unread 01/31/2014, 12:47 AM   #4
Daniel62
Registered Member

I use caridsea, seafloor special grade @ 5 Inches

Current Tank Info: 225 reef, 125 clown & haddoni tank, Haddoni's Big Bad & Beautiful, I Love Them!
Daniel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Special grade, like the last 2 posters.

I am currently down to just one S. haddoni (( did have 5 at one point, with one with me for 15+ years until I picked up a newly infected one --- this was before Cipro )), anyways....

I have never been deeper than 3 inches (( though locally it might have been deeper )), my current one is around 2 inches, with its foot buried at the rock/sand interface. It hasn't moved in 2.5 years, since I moved.

I am sure that deeper would be better, but this is just how it has worked out.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 08:23 AM   #6
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

For the 120 I am plumbing in to my 180 I just got 120lb of sand.

40 of oolite
40 of special grade
40 of fiji pink

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 10:02 AM   #7
tassod
Registered Member

Ok i'm going to go with the reefloor special grade and i'll probably do a 4-5" through the whole tank given i have 3 haddonis and would like to get one more. I also have a blue GIG but he's fine on his rock.

Unread 01/31/2014, 11:39 AM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

I too use the caribsea seafloor special grade.
I'm not really a fan of "tweener" sand beds, they seem to be problematic, so I usually advise go shallow, 1" or less, and vac/clean that bed, or go deep, 4" or more, and do not disturb it.
DSB will give some dentrification benefits and of course sand dwelling nems seem to prefer the deeper sand.
The caribsea does not get blown around my tank even w/ fairly strong flow compared to a smaller grain sand.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 03:35 PM   #9
tassod
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I too use the caribsea seafloor special grade.
I'm not really a fan of "tweener" sand beds, they seem to be problematic, so I usually advise go shallow, 1" or less, and vac/clean that bed, or go deep, 4" or more, and do not disturb it.
DSB will give some dentrification benefits and of course sand dwelling nems seem to prefer the deeper sand.
The caribsea does not get blown around my tank even w/ fairly strong flow compared to a smaller grain sand.
I've been told that in order to have a properly functioning DSB I need to go with the finer grain of sand that is sugar fine. If I were to go at 5" with the seafloor special grade, I would need to siphon it a lot and quite often. Is this true? I don't really want to do that and I would like to not disturb it all if possible.

Unread 01/31/2014, 06:11 PM   #10
nemmy
Registered Member

Just grabbed my first haddoni today. I only have a one inch sand bed but I drug a pile of sand up to a rock and made a little cavern for his foot to tunnel to the rock. Its probably 2-3 inches deep there. He took to it right away. Girlfriend was on anemone watch before she went out so I'll see how its doing after work or if it relocated.

nemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 07:05 PM   #11
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassod View Post
I've been told that in order to have a properly functioning DSB I need to go with the finer grain of sand that is sugar fine. If I were to go at 5" with the seafloor special grade, I would need to siphon it a lot and quite often. Is this true? I don't really want to do that and I would like to not disturb it all if possible.
Many of us do a DSB w/ the seafloor, the finer stuff blows around too easy.
We don't disturb any DSB other than maybe siphoning deitrus off the surface.
Some people may include sand sifting stars or nassaurius snails to help clean the lower part of the sand bed, but it will be fine w/out as well.
I do have a handful of nassaurius and a lot of snails that clean sand and glass surface, astreas, ceriths, nerites.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 01/31/2014, 07:08 PM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmy View Post
Just grabbed my first haddoni today. I only have a one inch sand bed but I drug a pile of sand up to a rock and made a little cavern for his foot to tunnel to the rock. Its probably 2-3 inches deep there. He took to it right away. Girlfriend was on anemone watch before she went out so I'll see how its doing after work or if it relocated.
Usually that sand bed will level out, and often that nem may not want to be exactly where you placed that sand pile.
I've seen a number of people that try to get around the needed DSB for sand dwelling nems, usually ends in frustration, hopefully you have better luck.

Unread 02/01/2014, 02:56 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

I use a variety of sand all mix together.I ten to have high flow tank so these fine sand need a layer of corse san no top at certain place to keep them from flying around everywhere. Some area in my tank have very course shell as refuge for pods. Without these area my pod population will be decimated by my Canary Fang goby, Mandarin, Orchid dottyback and Flame angel.
It really does not mater what size of sand for Haddoni. They take any size and will be fine with it.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote