Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2010, 04:36 PM   #1
cocoaandme
Registered Member

Seahare not eating hair algae?

I just got a sea hare for my tank and I have quite a bit of hair algae in it but it doesn't seem to be touching it. Instead it is eating the microalgae from off the glass. Is it possible that I got a strain that does not eat hair algae? Do they prefer microalgae over hair algae? Thanks.

Unread 08/25/2010, 04:43 PM   #2
thebkramer
Registered Member

What sea hare is it? The dolabella, spotted, etc?

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2010, 04:46 PM   #3
shiveley
Registered Member

maybe it's already full

Current Tank Info: 75G mixed reef
shiveley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2010, 04:58 PM   #4
cocoaandme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
What sea hare is it? The dolabella, spotted, etc?
Ermm not sure. It looks like this one:

Unread 08/25/2010, 05:07 PM   #5
thebkramer
Registered Member

Thats the Dolabella
They are known to be HA eaters and nothing but. However... they can also be a hit and miss
I would honestly give him a few days. Like previous poster said.. he could be full! He does look pretty fat lol I have had Dolabellas in the past that would eat both macro and my HA. I wouldn't give up all hope yet
Also.. just want to add that if in the morning you can't find him.. don't get too worried. Dolabellas like to bury themselves in the sand

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2010, 05:24 PM   #6
cocoaandme
Registered Member

Cool thanks! That picture isn't him hehe I just found it online. But he does look pretty fat. I just figured since he was eating the algae off my glass he was still hungry.

Unread 08/29/2010, 01:31 AM   #7
cocoaandme
Registered Member

Hmm he still doesn't seem to be touching the hair algae. He is eat the other algae but not the hair algae. Are there certain strains of hair algae that they won't eat? Should I try another sea hare?

Unread 08/29/2010, 07:30 AM   #8
mscarpena
Registered Member

Well tell him he's FIRED.

mscarpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2010, 09:22 AM   #9
donya
Registered Member

At the risk of making one of those wishy-washy "in my experience" posts, every Dolabella sea hare I've kept has not been content with a single type of food. They will go through phases where they've had enough of one thing and want something else when well-fed. My current Dolabella is going through a no-hair-algae time and only shows interest in algae wafers and nori. A couple weeks ago it was hair algae all the way and little interest in nori.

There is also an article I've read recently, "Selectivity and Growth of the Generalist Herbivore Dolabella auricularia Feeding upon Complementary Resources." by Pennings et al. (in Ecology, 1993) that addresses some interesting issues of diet. Some relevant info from the abstract in case the pdf isn't easily accessible:

"(...)The sea hare Dolabella auricularia (Gastropoda: Opisthobranchia: Anaspidea) grew far better upon an ad libitum mixture of four species of algae than upon any of the algal species alone, suggesting that algae were complementary resources. (...) Preference for a species of algae was always higher when it was not the maintenance diet compared to when it was. (...)"

So, perhaps your sea hare is just exploiting a resource while it lasts (the algae on the glass) and will go back to the hair algae later.

Current Tank Info: 3 fw tanks (2x20g and 1g), 10 sw tanks (0.9g, 3x1g, 1.5g, 3g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 55g)
donya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2021, 09:15 PM   #10
miserkris
Registered Member

I'm going thru the same issue...
My sea hare isn't touching HA.

also he's small and his head is white/ translucent.... Is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 156 g mixed reef
miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2021, 08:32 PM   #11
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Seahare note

My seahare literally just expelled his gut and I think was on the way to poisoning my tank. Came out of nowhere, he was the best algae eater cleanup crew in one I have ever had. I read they could do this but never dreamed I would have it happen. seemed very active and happy. Just posted pics in the Reef forums.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg seahare 2.jpg (79.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg seahare 1.jpg (79.5 KB, 8 views)

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon reef, 75 Gallon FOWLR

Last edited by jcmjoe; 05/26/2021 at 08:42 PM.
jcmjoe is offline   Reply With Quote