Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2016, 12:57 PM   #1
JurisHP
Registered Member

NO3/PO4/Biopellets/GFO/NOPOX/Neonitro

Dear All: I have a 180G mixed reef tank, and have had NO3/PO4 issues for years. I am running Carbon, and 2 months ago, started using BRS Biopellets. I am also dosing NOPOX. When I started with the biopellets, I stopped running GFO (in my BRS dual reactor--the other chamber is where the carbon is). Today is the 8 week mark for the biopellets. Upon testing today, my PO4 levels have finally come down (.36), but I want them down even further. My NO4 levels have not budged. BRS recommends that the biopellets run for 8 weeks, and during that time shut-off the UV Sterilizer and stop dosing GFO.

Can I keep the biopellets running, and at the same time, dose NOPOX and/or Neonitro? Or is that a bad idea? I have gotten mixed answers from BRS on this, and don't want to dose too much OR dose things simultaneously that may result in some sort of chemistry disaster.

Thanks for any help.

JurisHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 01:03 PM   #2
downbeach
Registered Member

When I started running BP's I stopped using a liquid carbon source. Running both together was a problem, causing the BP reactor to clog. What type of reactor are you using for the BP's? What are you using to measure your PO4? What is your NO3 reading?

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 01:19 PM   #3
JurisHP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeach View Post
When I started running BP's I stopped using a liquid carbon source. Running both together was a problem, causing the BP reactor to clog. What type of reactor are you using for the BP's? What are you using to measure your PO4? What is your NO3 reading?
I am using a Reef Octopus media reactor. I am using Red Sea test kits for measuring all levels. NO3 is off the charts (OVER .75)

Unread 11/20/2016, 02:23 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

The important thing is to keep the total carbon dose low enough that it doesn't cause problems for corals. That seems to be an issue in some tanks, at any rate. The NeoNitro seems to be a nitrate source. The carbon dosing is intended to consume the nitrate, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to be dosing both at the same time unless you are trying to grow bacteria to feed sponges or the like, or you want to try to reduce the phosphate level using only carbon.

The NOPOX and pellets might not be enough to reduce the phosphate level without a lot of added nitrogen, so I'd consider adding some GFO to the system if the nitrate level is fine.

Unread 11/20/2016, 02:53 PM   #5
JurisHP
Registered Member

My Nitrates are off the charts high. THAT is my main concern (as well as getting my PO4 even lower--they are slowly starting to come down after years of being at .64 always)

Unread 11/20/2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Joey_bananas420
Registered Member

Get a brightwell block or marine pur media and put it in your sump. Brightwell is laced with sulfur to boost dentrifying bacteria population growth. It's recommended to seed it with a bacteria culture overnight in saltwater then justvplace it in your sump. Your skimmer will go crazy for a day most likely will get a little bacteria bloom that will subside after a few days. But then after nitrates and po4 should remain close to 0. Brightwell guarantees this up to 1200 gallon systems. I was skeptical at first too but it works

Joey_bananas420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 08:46 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

From what I can tell, the NeoNitro is a nitrate supplement, so I'd stop that at this point. What is the nitrate level currently?

Unread 11/21/2016, 05:01 PM   #8
JurisHP
Registered Member

Nitrates are around .64

Unread 11/21/2016, 09:25 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

.64 ppm nitrate is fine. I'd probably try some GFO to lower the phosphate level.

Unread 11/22/2016, 08:13 AM   #10
JurisHP
Registered Member

I was mistaken---Nitrates are actually over .75

Unread 11/22/2016, 01:32 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

Anything under 2-3 ppm should be fine for the animals that we keep, although coloration can be an issue. I wouldn't worry about the nitrate.

Tags
gfo, neonitro, nitrates, nopox, phosphates