Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Sugar_tan32
Registered Member

Small haddoni carpet not hosting Onyx clownfish (C Quest)

So I was curious, just picked up my haddoni green carpet which is about 3 inches around. On the other hand, the onyx clownfish I recently picked up I've only had for a few days as well which are about 1 inch or a tad bit bigger. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas into getting them into the anemone?? Or is the anemone to small??
Thanks

Sugar_tan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 04:20 AM   #2
rt67ghy
Registered Member

The natural anemone for the oscellaris clownfish are Heteractis magnifica, Heteractis crispa, and Stichodactyla gigantea. So, I don't think you can get it to be hosted by a haddoni which host clarkii, saddleback and bluestripe clowns. However, if you still want to try you could drop food above the haddoni while you're feeding the clown and let some fall on to the haddoni. You'll have to do this every day until the clown decides to stay with the haddoni.

Current Tank Info: Fish: 1 yellow tang, 1 mandarin, 1 pair of tomato clowns, 1 maroon clown, 1 skunk clown, 1 banggai cardinal. Anemones: 1 green haddoni carpet, 2 heteractis auroras, 1 LTA.
rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Sugar_tan32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt67ghy View Post
The natural anemone for the oscellaris clownfish are Heteractis magnifica, Heteractis crispa, and Stichodactyla gigantea. So, I don't think you can get it to be hosted by a haddoni which host clarkii, saddleback and bluestripe clowns. However, if you still want to try you could drop food above the haddoni while you're feeding the clown and let some fall on to the haddoni. You'll have to do this every day until the clown decides to stay with the haddoni.
Hmm okay! Maybe I'll try the food idea, have you ever heard of putting a clownfish picture next to the anemone?? I saw something pop up and people saying it has worked...a bit skeptical but I guess it never hurts to try. A long time ago I had a green carpet host baby clowns that's why I was kinda wondering if something was wrong.

Unread 07/11/2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Sugar_tan32
Registered Member

Would love to hear all the tricks and ideas that people have used to have success with having their anemone host clowns!
Thanks

Unread 07/11/2016, 12:06 PM   #5
rt67ghy
Registered Member

I had success with pellets being dropped on nem but never tried the mirror trick.

Current Tank Info: Fish: 1 yellow tang, 1 mandarin, 1 pair of tomato clowns, 1 maroon clown, 1 skunk clown, 1 banggai cardinal. Anemones: 1 green haddoni carpet, 2 heteractis auroras, 1 LTA.
rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 12:45 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt67ghy View Post
The natural anemone for the oscellaris clownfish are Heteractis magnifica, Heteractis crispa, and Stichodactyla gigantea. ...
I know that many of the books say that H. crispa is a natural host for A. percula, but think that's a mistake that goes back to G.R. Allen's first anemonefish book and everybody just copied it from there without further checking it.
I've never seen a picture taken in the wild of a percula (or ocellaris) in a crispa. It's either magnificas or giganteas for percula.
In captivity many clownfish are not that picky and often take other anemones as hosts.
Time will tell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 06:34 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

Three inches Haddoni is not common. Do you have a picture? Possible other anemone species. IME Percula are much more likely to use Haddoni as host, not so much for Ocellaris.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 08:01 AM   #8
Sugar_tan32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Three inches Haddoni is not common. Do you have a picture? Possible other anemone species. IME Percula are much more likely to use Haddoni as host, not so much for Ocellaris.
3" maybe 4" when I grabbed it from the fish store they looked at it a bit because I didn't want a Maxi Mini carpet. It was just a baby one. I'll try to get a pic of it later today, just at work at the moment. Also, the anemone is facing into the tank...he planted his foot in the front left corner of my tank

Unread 07/12/2016, 09:12 AM   #9
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I know that many of the books say that H. crispa is a natural host for A. percula, but think that's a mistake that goes back to G.R.
I thought so too until I saw this video. It could be a shaggy Mag but it definitely has some Crispa to it.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2016, 11:19 PM   #10
Winwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I thought so too until I saw this video. It could be a shaggy Mag but it definitely has some Crispa to it.
That's a mag. The other natural host for ocellaris is S. mertensii.

Winwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, clownfish, haddoni, onyx