Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2008, 10:11 PM   #1
FishyMel
Registered Member

Palytoxin poisoning

I know this thread keeps popping up but it never answers my question of how toxic they are to fish.

Last week my small cortez stingray (about 6 inches long) died mysteriously withing a half hour. One minute alive next dead . He was my favorite pet... anyway, if he ate a free floating zoa would it of killed him? They are always rolling around my tank so it wasn't an unfamiliar substance, but maybe he ate one...

FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2008, 11:07 PM   #2
650-IS350
Registered Member

some dogs have known to have died from drinking water from buckets with zoa's.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2008, 08:56 AM   #3
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

I'm sorry you lost your Cortez Stingray FishyMel.

I have heard and read arguments from both ends of the spectrum. All polyps DO NOT HAVE the palytoxins. Palythoas do have it, most zoanthids do, but not all. It's just a guess, but I doubt palytoxin was the culprit. I lost a perfectly healthy Tang last week. He was grazing constantly and I fed him small portions twice a day. My tank is loaded with polyp and have been for years, but I doubt is was palytoxins. Why? I had other fish at different times over the years and they lived for years until I sold or traded them. I'd be curious to know why this single fish perished and none of the many fish I've own over the years have. It's an interesting subject and I want to know for sure myself. Looks like I'm going to Google it until I do today.

Mucho Reef

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2008, 09:35 AM   #4
650-IS350
Registered Member

I think its more the botton polyps are more toxic. out of all the zoos and palys I've worked with, botton polyps seem to excrete the MOST slime and those were the only 2 that gave me bad hits and sent me to hospital.

Unread 04/02/2008, 09:41 AM   #5
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

The hospital? I didn't know you had to go to hospital my friend.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2008, 10:06 AM   #6
650-IS350
Registered Member

First just gave me really bad headache's, bodyache's, tiredness basically same symptoms of what a bad flu would give. lasted for a couple hours. plus the metalic taste and slight numbness in my lips. The botton polyp slime got on my sleeves as I was rubbing my cheeks with my dry sleeves, I didn't know I had some slime residue on my arms. It was automatic hit, felt right away.

2nd time, got me right in the eye.( paly closed and squirted me directly in the eye ). Excruciating buring sensation in my eyes. Felt like someone put a dab of bengay or mineral ice on directly on my eyes. burned for 3-4 days straight ( from the time I woke to the time I slept. Bad blurryness, eyes felt bruise and was extremly puffy/red. Doctor said seemed like a chemical burn of sorts. Had to use some medical eye drops for 3 weeks or so. Didn't go to the doctors till next morning, happend at night time.

Now I wear safety glasses, mask, cloves and full armsleeve gloves when workin in the tank.