Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2021, 07:32 AM   #176
McPuff
Registered Member

Karim, do you still have a holding system or will you be starting fresh on this system? I remember that the original greenhouse holding system didn't make it but curious if you started another one? Any idea on the build timeframe going forward? It's very cool to see this come to fruition!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2021, 11:29 AM   #177
vikinglord13
Registered Member

I don't think I've ever seen such an engineered residential reef project. Incredible.

Current Tank Info: ~30 lbs of LR w/ 15 lbs of substrate. An azure damsel, six-lined wrasse, and black blenny. Zoanthids and shrooms.
vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2021, 07:54 PM   #178
travisstewart
Registered Member

How’s this going? Checking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travisstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2021, 02:09 PM   #179
Mixreef1
Registered Member

Man this is insane,

Mixreef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2021, 08:38 PM   #180
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Karim, do you still have a holding system or will you be starting fresh on this system? I remember that the original greenhouse holding system didn't make it but curious if you started another one? Any idea on the build timeframe going forward? It's very cool to see this come to fruition!
Most of my life is distributed among friends - banked basically

I hope I can restart with a little seeding from those colonies.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2021, 08:40 PM   #181
karimwassef
Registered Member

Making some progress finally. Plumbing is almost all in and we should be pouring concrete this week

https://brightreefgardens.imgur.com/all/#1

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 06/13/2021 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 06/13/2021, 08:48 PM   #182
karimwassef
Registered Member

The thermal pex shows the reef extent - 8' x 16' x [ 4' (below) + 27" (above) ]

Last edited by karimwassef; 06/13/2021 at 09:27 PM.
Unread 06/13/2021, 09:26 PM   #183
karimwassef
Registered Member

I have to admit.. the 4 x 4" drains look intimidating in real life.

The math is right to support the flow, but they look massive.

Unread 06/14/2021, 02:09 PM   #184
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

The most unique build
congrats on the progress

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2021, 03:17 PM   #185
travisstewart
Registered Member

Looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travisstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2021, 07:24 AM   #186
karimwassef
Registered Member

thanks! if you can't see the full page, try this link instead

https://imgur.com/user/BrightReefGardens

Unread 06/22/2021, 06:21 PM   #187
SharkaThon
Registered Member

Have the recent power issues in TX caused any issues? Has it caused you to make any alterations in case of more outages?

Unread 06/24/2021, 04:05 PM   #188
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkaThon View Post
Have the recent power issues in TX caused any issues? Has it caused you to make any alterations in case of more outages?
No. I like in Prosper and we're far enough north of Dallas that we didn't experience more than a few minutes of black out. I will be adding a whole house gas-generator though with an ATS (automatic transfer switch) so we can survive any future similar events.

We have natural gas, so that's the backup. It's possible to lose both but more unlikely.

The last backup to the backup would be a solar battery bank that drives a DC power bus for critical life support components.

Unread 06/24/2021, 04:08 PM   #189
karimwassef
Registered Member

quick update. We poured on Tuesday 22/2021! The concrete is in.

It is ugly, but being fixed up now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/s9pLXaB

Next is plumbing for the pool, then all around foam insulation and filling in the dirt around it before the patio work begins.

After that - the epoxy shell.

Once the epoxy, plumbing and patio are done, the pool part will be complete.

Then the reef glass comes in play and the reef/pool sections become separate.

Last edited by karimwassef; 06/24/2021 at 09:57 PM.
Unread 06/25/2021, 06:21 AM   #190
karimwassef
Registered Member

If anyone is in DFW and can help with the PVC plumbing, let me know! 1000’ of PVC.

Unread 06/25/2021, 02:54 PM   #191
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

amazing progress since first reading your posts about planning.
congrats...
look forward to next steps

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2021, 06:26 PM   #192
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
If anyone is in DFW and can help with the PVC plumbing, let me know! 1000’ of PVC.

Oh man I wish I was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2021, 06:22 AM   #193
karimwassef
Registered Member

Slow progress but still moving forward

I’m thinking through a problem and thought I’d throw it out to the collective thinking here to see if there’s a simple solution.

The main reef section is 8’ x 16’ x 4’ (before the additional glass height). With the raised glass I gain another 27”. So around 6000 gallons. The sump is 8’ x 8’ x 4’ but will probably max out at 3’ of water so 1500 gallons. The surge of s 8’ x 8’ x 2’ so 1000 gallons. And there’s a side algae scrubber, etc…

For the main reef, I need about 2’ of the 4’ pool depth and the rest is extra unneeded depth (serves no viewing purpose but costs in terms of salt and upkeep). So I need to displace it with something that is easy and cheap. I need 2000 gallons of “filler”.

My first thought was very large gravel. But my wife pointed out that if/when we move, we will have to revert the space to the lap pool it is now (for resale purposes). So removing 2000 gallons of gravel seems much.

I thought of waterproof sand bags but it’s the same issue of tons of heavy medium.

Can’t use PVC pipe because it’s too expensive and is hollow (I need to displace water volume).

I can seal the pipe but that would make it into a boat. I could add sand to make it neutrally buoyant but that’s a lot of work and more cost…

Cinder blocks have weight but are mostly hollow.

I thought of bags of ping pong balls in waterproof bags with sand to weight them down…

Clearly a rabbit hole of possible ideas. I think there’s a simple solution that is neutrally buoyant, cheap and easy to put in and take out… I’m just missing it.

Thought I’d tease the wildlife here … ideas?

Unread 07/02/2021, 04:44 PM   #194
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

https://esyntactic.com/products-solu...y-solutions-2/
Havin fun I see.
Nice to see a dream come true.
You will have to come back to NY when finished, unless I get to Texas again.

Unread 07/02/2021, 08:06 PM   #195
karimwassef
Registered Member

thanks Vinny! Nice to hear from you. I'm looking forward to getting back to LI and sharing my progress... and/or learnings!

Unread 07/02/2021, 09:29 PM   #196
karimwassef
Registered Member

Progress… more on the Imgur

Unread 07/04/2021, 07:41 AM   #197
dannyfish
Registered Member

When I first read the beginning of this thread, I thought someone was dreaming. It’s now becoming a reality; flowing more power to you for your progress. It’s going to look amazing when completed!

dannyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2021, 11:04 AM   #198
SharkaThon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Slow progress but still moving forward

I’m thinking through a problem and thought I’d throw it out to the collective thinking here to see if there’s a simple solution.

The main reef section is 8’ x 16’ x 4’ (before the additional glass height). With the raised glass I gain another 27”. So around 6000 gallons. The sump is 8’ x 8’ x 4’ but will probably max out at 3’ of water so 1500 gallons. The surge of s 8’ x 8’ x 2’ so 1000 gallons. And there’s a side algae scrubber, etc…

For the main reef, I need about 2’ of the 4’ pool depth and the rest is extra unneeded depth (serves no viewing purpose but costs in terms of salt and upkeep). So I need to displace it with something that is easy and cheap. I need 2000 gallons of “filler”.

My first thought was very large gravel. But my wife pointed out that if/when we move, we will have to revert the space to the lap pool it is now (for resale purposes). So removing 2000 gallons of gravel seems much.

I thought of waterproof sand bags but it’s the same issue of tons of heavy medium.

Can’t use PVC pipe because it’s too expensive and is hollow (I need to displace water volume).

I can seal the pipe but that would make it into a boat. I could add sand to make it neutrally buoyant but that’s a lot of work and more cost…

Cinder blocks have weight but are mostly hollow.

I thought of bags of ping pong balls in waterproof bags with sand to weight them down…

Clearly a rabbit hole of possible ideas. I think there’s a simple solution that is neutrally buoyant, cheap and easy to put in and take out… I’m just missing it.

Thought I’d tease the wildlife here … ideas?
Maybe the same waterproof bags filled with gravel? I know there are a lot of companies wanting to get rid of gravel for cheap. IIRC, 1 pound of dry rock displaces .068 gallons of water, so ~14.7 pounds for 1 gallon of water. If you want to displace 2,000 gallons, you would "only" need 29,380 pounds of dry rock.

Unread 07/05/2021, 12:17 AM   #199
karimwassef
Registered Member

I was thinking waterproof bags filled with water… durability is the concern though.

Unread 07/05/2021, 12:18 AM   #200
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyfish View Post
When I first read the beginning of this thread, I thought someone was dreaming. It’s now becoming a reality; flowing more power to you for your progress. It’s going to look amazing when completed!
Thanks man! I need all the positive vibes I can get.