Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Chicksnicket
Registered Member

Unhappy How to rig up hose to chiller without hose fittings?

I bought a used chiller and the maker seems to be out of business (Pacific Coast Imports CL-280) and I can't find a hose fitting kit anywhere. And the seller just informed me he threw away the old hose fittings after I already bought the chiller. Where can I try to buy new ones that might fit, and more likely, how can I adapt the hose to the chiller without them? I feel the chance of getting the fittings are very slim and think I'm going to need to rig something up. Thank you so much!

Chicksnicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2021, 07:03 PM   #2
Coral Dilema
Registered Member

Not familiar with that system. Is this a high pressure hose or a flow-through hose connection for the water? If it isn't high pressure you may be able to get something 3D printed. I may be able to help. PETG is considered safe for underwater use, it's basically the material soda bottle lids are made of.

Current Tank Info: 20 inch cube running, Looking for a good place to get a 36 X 20-24 X 18-24 tank.
Coral Dilema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2021, 08:37 PM   #3
Chicksnicket
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Dilema View Post
Not familiar with that system. Is this a high pressure hose or a flow-through hose connection for the water? If it isn't high pressure you may be able to get something 3D printed. I may be able to help. PETG is considered safe for underwater use, it's basically the material soda bottle lids are made of.
I'm not sure if it would be considered high pressure, but the attachment would have to screw on so I'm not sure how easy it'd be 3D print it, as excited as I got about the idea haha. https://imgur.com/a/9Avy5na has pictures of what the chiller looks like (the two top nubs are where the attachments should go) and what the attachment look like.

Unread 05/14/2021, 12:52 AM   #4
xabo
Registered Member

I'm not sure if it would be considered high pressure

Not high pressure......if you can determine the size something like this will work in a schedule 80 pvc.
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/2-...BoCRm4QAvD_BwE

I've found them at Lowes in the past.

xabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 07:31 AM   #5
reeftivo
Skim junkie

wonder is the aqua euro fittings would work. the ones in the link are for their 1/10hp titanium unit which should be 1/2 inch i.d..

these look very similar to the ones shown for your model
https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqua...-hta91002.aspx

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller

Last edited by reeftivo; 05/14/2021 at 07:36 AM.
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 07:50 AM   #6
fishgate
Registered Member

Those look like pretty standard fittings. Have you checked your local hardware store? Usually they have all the nylon fittings together I would suspect you can find one that fits. Bring the chiller with you if you need to.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Chicksnicket
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabo View Post
I'm not sure if it would be considered high pressure

Not high pressure......if you can determine the size something like this will work in a schedule 80 pvc.
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/2-...BoCRm4QAvD_BwE

I've found them at Lowes in the past.
This is so helpful thank you! I was looking around for something like this but didn't know what it was called. Thank you so much. Biggest concern is the threads are definitely different but at this point I'd be willing to silicone it on. Lol. It doesn't specify what size the male end is though, how would I navigate that?

Unread 05/14/2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Chicksnicket
Registered Member

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to insulate it to be water proof? If I find something that's at least a decent match lol

Unread 05/15/2021, 04:37 AM   #9
Coral Dilema
Registered Member

Looks like standard NPT fittings. Any good hardware store should have them. Peel off all the old teflon tape and put new teflon on the threads to help them seal. 3-4 wraps should be plenty. If you can't find them though let me know. 3-D printing threaded parts is no problem at all. Even half decent home printers can print to about .01mm resolution. Hontestly, I would probably print it and then use the printed part to make a mold, then cast it in a reef safe epoxy.

Current Tank Info: 20 inch cube running, Looking for a good place to get a 36 X 20-24 X 18-24 tank.
Coral Dilema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiller