Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2021, 10:41 AM   #2076
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. So much 'outside fun' right now, so the tank gets neglected. I'm sure I'll get back in gear as it gets colder.
Hah, that's my excuse! (along with work, bleh)

I saw that pond and thought about what fish I could collect for my river tank in there

So how's the tank doing now?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2021, 12:57 PM   #2077
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yep, it's been a slack aquarist's summer for me. Hopefully, I'll get my act together soon. I just can't get motivated to work on the tank. Plus, I wanted to see how the new herbivores did, as far as algae clean-up goes. So, I've let the tank run wild. Stanley, the new Sailfin Tang looks like he's starting to make a dent in the Caulerpa, but I don't think it's his first choice. I've been feeding the tank only once a day, so they will be 'motivated' to graze naturally, and they have.

I decided to break tank work into smaller 'bites', to help me get working on it. So I just cleaned the glass last weekend. It was manageable but with all the spiroid worms and coralline algae, it was tougher than usual. Now, I'm going after sand bed caulerpa and cyanobacteria. I'm just doing a little, every few days, so it's not overwhelming.

The seagrass is once again overgrown and coated with calcium and coralline. It's great that it grows up to the surface but it could use a simulated manatee grazing event. So the tanks doing ok, but could be prettier.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2021, 11:48 PM   #2078
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I might as well post a pic, with the glass cleaned up. Full tank shot. Kinda shaggy. The grasses are shading the patch reef. The san bed caulerpa hides the cyanobacteria, but it's there. You can see the area I cleaned up on the right end of the grasses.

Unread 10/21/2021, 06:23 AM   #2079
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow, that looks fantastic! The grass is thickening up nicely!

Do you have any pics of your new(est) fish?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 10/21/2021, 09:13 AM   #2080
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin! It's thick alright! Almost reminds me of your river tank.

I was just thinking about getting pics of the new fish. They aren't particularly cooperative, but I really should. Time for a fish photoshoot!

You'd never know from the pic above but they really are active and add tons of interest. My little three fish harem of Royal Grammas is doing very well. They're a close-knit group, and look to be approaching spawning age! Even the new little Talbots's Damsels are settling in, and they look gorgeous. One has taken up residence in a barnacle! They eat a little algae too, along with pods.

Scarlett, the Tomini Tang swims so gracefully, I'm tempted to change her name to Grace! Stanley the Sailfin Tang isn't nearly as graceful, but when he flares his fins, he's pretty impressive.

I still have three Allen's Damsels, and I'm still impressed by their blue shimmer, even though they've gotten pretty big. Most damsels get mean and dull-colored as they get older. These guys are definitely not as nice as they were as juveniles, but they're still pretty mellow, for damsels. Of all the damsels I've tried, these are my favorites.

Unread 10/21/2021, 11:19 PM   #2081
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Oh man, I look forward to those pics. Yes, your success with the grass in your tank has made an impact on me. I think in my river tank, I got lucky with the parameters this time LOL. When I get my oyster reef off and running, I really want to have some success with eel grass and macros, so I will be doing something similar with the sand bed toward the rear of my tank. You're an inspiration, and I've pointed my friends to your builds as they're trying to get brackish/salt grass tanks going for sea horse displays.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/23/2021, 02:03 PM   #2082
vlangel
Registered Member

Looks amazing Michael. I looked at Kevin's tank and then yours and I am so jealous of all the beautiful greenery.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2021, 02:15 PM   #2083
vlangel
Registered Member

My little yellow tail damsels are feistier than at first but mostly only with each other. Tommy the tomini tang chases one of the damsels. It hides out in a barnacle too..

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 10/28/2021, 11:10 AM   #2084
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I just learned one reason why Ulva doesn't do well in my tank. I have a large black-fingered mud crab who loves to eat it. I never noticed it before. It doesn't seem to eat the Gracilaria though. I wonder about how sea grass will do if I ever give that a try.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/28/2021, 11:46 AM   #2085
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think Ulva is almost universally loved by all herbivores/omnivores. My tiny Dove Snails go after it big time. When conditions are to it's liking, it can often outpace predation. But those conditions are not ideal aquarium conditions, so they eventually succumb.

This also brings up the question of 'editing' down tank critters that may be competing with your own goals for the tank. Sometimes, we get something small, and it fits right in. Later, they get bigger and too destructive for the tank's ecosystem. In the meantime, we get attached, and instead of removing it, we allow our plan to get hijacked, essentially giving up control of our intended goals. Is this crab doing that?

Unread 10/29/2021, 02:07 PM   #2086
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Well, I like the crab more than the Ulva, so, I guess I'll view the Ulva as temporary beauty but also as food. In the wild, it's a sign of high nutrient waters, so probably not an indicator of a healthy environment (as you stated) in the wild or in my tank. Eel grass, however, would be a different story. I would either keep the crab in the oyster reef tank and move the eel grass and make a lagoon tank (for seahorses, sticklebacks, rainwater killies, gobies, etc.) or move the crab. Not sure yet. I guess it would depend on how the grasses are doing soon after collection (I got a good tip on where to get it next summer). Also, this would be in my 100g tank. I obtained a 40g tank which might serve as a good Chesapeake Bay sea grass tank. You have options when it comes to having more than one tank, you can create 2 versions of the same biotope! I think with better lighting, the Ulva growth would outpace predation. My light is a cheap one.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/29/2021, 02:09 PM   #2087
Chasmodes
Registered Member

BTW, how are your grasses doing? Are they still growing well even with the calcium deposits on them?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 10/29/2021, 03:12 PM   #2088
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, I found that I could put Ulva right at the top of tank, right under my 400 watt metal halide, and if there were adequate nutrients, it would grow like crazy.

The grasses are still good, even with the coatings. They just break off where they're dead. I'll prune them down at some point. I don't think I've ever had so much of it reach the surface. But the fish do seem to appreciate the pruning. It allows them more swimming space and to more easily access the sand.

Unread 11/02/2021, 06:45 AM   #2089
Chasmodes
Registered Member

That's interesting. I guess there is hope with my big tank because the lighting is a huge upgrade. And, translating what you do with pruning your grasses is exactly what I need to do in my river tank. My grasses are changing the tank from a rockscape to a jungle LOL. So, whenever I need to seek direction, all I need to do is come back here to get ideas!!! Plus, your tank is one of my favorites on-line. It always has been from the beginning. It's so cool and different than the zillions of other tanks on-line. You've successfully taken a FW planted concept to a salt version, and, throw in the macros, that's pretty unique, I'd say!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/02/2021, 09:21 AM   #2090
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for the kind words Kevin! I do like being different. I just prune the grasses down to the green. They respond well to it, and keep on growing.

I'm stoked you're having success with your Vallisneria! Welcome to the paradox of having too much of a good thing!

Unread 11/03/2021, 04:22 PM   #2091
vlangel
Registered Member

Hooray to both of you guys, Michael and Kevin for your successes. Its cool to see 2 very unique concepts for tanks!

Unread 11/03/2021, 04:55 PM   #2092
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Your tank concept is pretty unique too! We three are an awesome little group of oddballs. Lovin' it!

Unread 11/04/2021, 04:13 PM   #2093
vlangel
Registered Member

Ha ha, I love your description of us being an awesome little group of oddballs. That is hilarious! I guess we are.

Unread 11/04/2021, 08:06 PM   #2094
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ha! Sometimes the truth is hilarious…

Unread 11/04/2021, 08:18 PM   #2095
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've grown weary of pulling Caulerpa. I want someone else to do it for me. I need to make my tank easier to maintain. Spending hours on a step ladder reaching down into a 30 inch deep tank has gotten old. And so have I…

Awhile back I researched caulerpa eating fish. I think it's time to put that info to good use. Time to start shopping for a…Foxface! I've never kept one, but I'm ready to try. I'd like to find a smallish one with no black spot. I'll have to drop my 2 LFSs and see if anybody has one, or maybe order one if they don't.

Time to get a quarantine tank ready I guess.

Unread 12/08/2021, 10:35 PM   #2096
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow I haven't been around much. I got sick right after Thanksgiving, and I'm still not fully well yet.

As I keep saying, I am slacking! But sort of on-purpose. I need the caulerpa to get out of hand for a new Foxface. This is a bit of a deep dive, as this fish will have a huge impact on the ecosystem. I'm facing a future possibly without macro algae.

I went by my LFS today, and they have a selection of Foxfaces, so I came home and set up the QT tanks. I'll go pick one out tomorrow.

Unread 12/09/2021, 11:07 PM   #2097
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So it's tomorrow and I got a new Foxface!

Also I got a Blue Tang - the Pacific, hippo variety. They are in separate, adjacent quarantine tanks, so they can see each other, but not infect each other. I got them slowly acclimated to Hypo Salinity conditions, over the course of the afternoon. This will lessen their load of osmoregulation, and also kills ICH. I have meds on hand if needed. I think these two look healthy. That's not something you can say when you blindly purchase fish online, like I USED to.

I decided to get the smallest Foxface they had, which I think is about four inches. I was sorely tempted by the Magnifica varieties they also had, but I chose the basic model instead. It starts out mostly yellow, but over time, a black spot grows as it gets older. I would have preferred the all-yellow variety but it wasn't available. The Blue Tang is about two inches. It had been at the store for two months or so, so I'm confident it's healthy.

Adding these fish will bring a new dynamic to the fish community. It's going to be fun! The Foxface will likely transform the aquascape, by consuming (I'm guessing) most of my macros. I wonder if any will be spared? The Sargassum? What will I do with newly available real estate? The Tang will bring tons of personality and energy. I'm not counting on it for much macro pruning.

Big changes ahead!

QT1

Unread 12/10/2021, 09:17 AM   #2098
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Hi Michael, sorry you are out of sorts.
Just an FYI, the water can be dropped quickly for hypo salinity.
It can NOT be raised quickly it must be done slowly.
I can relate to your headache, mine is blue sponge taking over everything.
I have done some pulling & trimming but am going to try removing rock to get @ it and air drying for a few hours at the same time.
Get better soon.

Unread 12/10/2021, 09:34 AM   #2099
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey Vinny! I'm feeling better now, with just a lingering cough.

Yep, I have a fair amount of hypo experience. You are correct that bringing salinity down can go pretty quickly (hours), but raising salinity needs to be done slowly (around a week). In my opinion, it's a much safer alternative to copper.

I checked on the new fish this morning and they're good! That first night is the scariest for me, wondering if they'll survive the night. They did, so yay!

QT2

Unread 12/10/2021, 01:51 PM   #2100
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Yay Too!
When I worked maintenance we did it all in an hours service call.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass