Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2021, 09:55 AM   #1
aquaria_rn
Aquaria_RN

Talking Qt or Not?

So i have a QT set up, recently I have been having no successes with QT. I use Kick-ICh and Rally pro . have in the past with success. Presently I lost a bicolor angel, Butterfly. ( I know they sometimes don't quarantine well) 2 powder Browns. at different Qt. and lets not for get the blue eye tang. I always First use "Safety Stop" prior to 2-4 week QT. they start out great then ICH sets in, I'm sure its not something else. They eat well, and then " Bam!" death. after the last QT death. I broke down the 29G QT. cleaned it and reset it up. I now have a Blue belly Hippo, Power brown ( Love, love this guy) and my wife was set on the clown Tang, So in order to get what i wanted, I got the clown,(pretty cool fishy). Now we are in day three, all eating, water quality is NH3=0, No2=0, No3=0 and Po4=0. Temp 80 and finally SG 1.025. Remember I did dip prior to QT. So the question is, has anyone used the dip and went straight to Display?? I want to make sure these guys survive into display. Or should I just wait and see?? Reason for the Kick-Ich and Rally is that I'm not to keen on using harsh chemicals. other than the dip. Any guidance appreciated. Lets stick to topic please. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: 125G/40 G sump Mix Reef/ 29G Softie reef/ 55G reef and 29G QT set-up
aquaria_rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2021, 10:49 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Ich isn't an of-course-they-have-it disease unless your environment is infected. (Not actually a 'disease' but an infestation of parasites.) And there is NO effective medication to kill ich that will not also kill your tank, let's say that first. NO EFFECTIVE MED EXISTS that is safe.

It lives in sandbeds. Goes into a swimmer-phase, gets under the skin of a fish or into its gills and feeds, raising a sort of pimple or irritating the gills. Then it breaks out, drops off, reproduces madly, and then goes into a swimmer phase again. It's a cycle. It also can get into your tank from water on your hand, on a net, on a thermometer or a test instrument that has been dipped in an infected tank: also from water surrounding a newly purchased fish. It takes a microscope to see it when it is in 'swimmer' phase.

IF YOUR SANDBED is hosting these, your only good solution is to have no fish in there for 72 days, during which time the parasites will try to find a fish and fail, and die without reproducing. (The fish is necessary for nourishment for that process.)
You can have corals, invertebrates, all sorts of marine life---just not fish, for 72 days. Most susceptible to the plague---tangs, angels and rabbitfish. If you're going to install one of them, (and quarantine IS the best method of being sure they're not going to break out in spots---need I say that quarantine should have NO rock or sand?)---if you're going for one of them, make them the last fish you put in, well-quarantined.

ALso, if you have seen a lot of this pest, either it IS flourishing in your own sandbed, or the place you're buying from is massively infected. I have bought fish in my own city for the last 18 years and have only seen ONE case, from which the fish recovered. Having ich should be RARE in your life, not a common occurrence. I can predict that having HAD fish with ich, your sandbed is now guaranteed to have it; but if your source is also contaminated, you're going to reacquire ich every time you buy from that source. Clean up your tank first, and then meticulously quarantine what you buy from that source (possibly change sources), and may you also have 18 future years of NO occurrence of ich.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 10/02/2021 at 10:55 AM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote