Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Reef FAQ's
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2001, 10:33 AM   #1
gregt
Premium Member

I just posted a new article on my website on Promoting Coralline growth.

Check it out and give me some feedback.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.

Current Tank Info: 400 gallon room divider system
Unread 03/20/2001, 01:32 PM   #2
hughem
Registered Member

I have read that rock covered in coraline is a less effective bio-filter than rock without coraline. This certainly makes sense because the coraline basically seals the rock's pores reducing water flow into the surface.

Does anyone know of any testing that proves or disproves this theory? What do other reefers think of this idea?

Unread 03/20/2001, 01:38 PM   #3
gregt
Premium Member

I have no doubt that this is true. Another reason to use LS as your primary bio-filtration.

Unread 03/20/2001, 02:29 PM   #4
sharkdude
Registered Member

Great succinct article Greg.

I like that you included a list of coralline predators, you can add those little starfish (forget species but they are in hitchikers archive). I have watched several graze an area of coralline, leaving behind pale areas (slightly faster than watching grass grow).

I also have had a recent growth explosion of halimeda calcareous green macro algae. I am convinced that this rapidly depressed the calcium in solution and thus affected coralline growth.

I too am now using the Kent buffer and seachem calcium in an attempt to get things back to correct levels.

Some have suggested that coralline grows better with more actinic light. Any thoughts on this other than different species hypothesis?

sharkdude

Current Tank Info: reef tankless since August 2009; PDF vivs since October 2009
Unread 03/20/2001, 02:45 PM   #5
hughem
Registered Member

I read that brighter light stimulates the growth of the brighter and lighter shades of coraline and lower light levels/colors stimulate the darker coraline.

I suppose actinic light also brings out the contrast of the coraline making it easier to see. I notice that I get more pink under the MH but grow purple coraline in shadows.

Unread 03/20/2001, 02:47 PM   #6
Mojoreef
Registered Member

good artical gregt, One thing a lot of people dont know about calcium is that in order to keep or raise your calcium to the 400-450 level you have to maintain your stronium level. It is a complicated formala, but in lay terms you need to have your stronium at the proper level or your calcium will not raise or maintain. This is probibly why you had sucess when you did water change (you were adding stronium as well as other trace elements). If you dose with a stronium additive bring up the level you will have sucess with raising and maintaining your calcium.

It is true that different light levels will produce different types of calcerious algea. your purple corraline perfers lees light but it will still grow under intence light, just not as fast

From what I have read the rock Portion of Live rock does not play a big part in filtration, but the animals (micro algae, corraline algae, calcerious tube worms, fauna, ect) provide the filtration that we all desire.

Unread 03/20/2001, 02:54 PM   #7
gregt
Premium Member

sharkdude,

I forgot about those dreaded starfish! My choc. chip should have definitely made it into the article. Thanks for the reminder.

mobrien,

I've heard the "other trace element" concept, but it was magnesium, rather than strontium. Hmmm...

Unread 03/20/2001, 03:05 PM   #8
Raider Jeff
Unregistered

Post Predators

You can add certain types, if not most, of urchins as coraline predators.

Greg - I would have to agree, I have heard and read the same about magnesium and I dose regularly as well. This is the first I've heard that about strontium. I have been told strotium does promote coraline algae growth though.

Unread 03/20/2001, 03:41 PM   #9
sharkdude
Registered Member

http://www.reefs.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017709.html

here's a link to a thread on the little starfish. has a couple of links to more info. no mention as coralline eaters but I'm convinced they do.

Current Tank Info: reef tankless since August 2009; PDF vivs since October 2009
Unread 03/20/2001, 05:34 PM   #10
Terkel
Registered Member

I have an Atlantic Blue Tang - and I have to tell you, this guy grazes on pink coralline algae like it was his last meal, then he killed all the caulerpa as well...
I have low light and coralline growing really well.

I have also seen coralline algae covered rocks around 60 fsw in 45 degree water up here. There's not a lot of light down there, however the sea urchins was found slightly deeper in 65 fsw and on sand bottom, not on coralline covered rock as one might expect - I was not doing scientific observations on that dive but I'll take a better look next time I got there - or if I see it in other places.

Cheers,
Terkel

Unread 03/20/2001, 08:05 PM   #11
smokinreefer
Premium Member

hey guys,
i agree with you in that maintaining ALK and maybe pH are important factors. of course you need Ca, but you dont really need it at 400 or above for coraline. my reef has been set up in its current home for about a year now. coraline never really took off, or grew for that matter. as of late i have been more diligent in monitoring my water and i have been using superbuffer and turbo calcium. along with kalk. man o man the coraline has taken off like there's no tommorrow! i just wish more of it would grow on the rocks and not all over the freakin glass ;p

Unread 03/20/2001, 08:54 PM   #12
jsfakianos
Registered Member

I guarantee that strontium will cause the coralline algae to explode. Find a source for Strontium Chloride and mix up a 10% solution. For a 100 gallon tank add;

day 1 24.2 mL
day 2 24.2 mL
day 3 24.2 mL
day 4 24.2 mL
each week 3.9 mL

Within 1 week, you will see more coralline growth than ever before. I was getting really good growth when I was dosing the strontium with iodine and kalkwasser. I switched to the Restore product and the growth stopped. Last week I decided to add some more strontium and it took off again.

There may be several other ways to get the stuff to grow, but this is the easiest I have ever seen.

Unread 03/20/2001, 09:12 PM   #13
toptank
Moved On

My tank is FULL of coralline and I have never dosed Strontium. The only thing that I dose my tank is B-Ionic and sometime reef ca. My ca ranges from 410 to 460ppm and alka ranges from 9.2 - 10.6 dKh. I am not saying that dosing strontium and magnesium doesn't help as I am sure it would. In my case I have never added it. I use reef crystal and do a 10 water changes everyother week. Running 2 X 250 MH 12,000K and 2 X 96 PC 10,000K.

Even my clam shell is covered with it

My Site
http://barryreef.homestead.com/index.html

Unread 03/20/2001, 09:21 PM   #14
jsfakianos
Registered Member

Indeed, toptank has the toptank when it comes to coralline algae. I have been trying to achieve something like that, with spurts of success. Unfortunately, my coralline algae doesn't look close to yours.

I have often wondered why I need to supplement strontium to get mine to grow. Obviously, some people don't need it. I just see a huge difference when I do.

I also use a 2-part calcium additive (Restore).

I just don't get it?

Unread 03/20/2001, 09:28 PM   #15
Contesini
Registered Member

Hi there !
I'm from Brazil and this is my second time here.
I asked Delbeck about this subject.
I asked him: Can the coraline alge compete for calcium and prejudice the coral's grown ?
He said that he thinks that is a good idea to keep a lot of corals because it's possible that dominate coraline can consume the calcium and it makes you add more calcium than you need to keep your corals healthy.

( I'm sorry about my English because it's not my language ok ?! )

[ ]s
Contesini

Unread 03/20/2001, 10:31 PM   #16
O'Man
10 & Over Club

Coraline has its upside, but it can become a plague. I am sick of spending time using razor blades to scrape it off the front. I have noticed that the blue leg hermits and stars eat it off the back.

Good article BTW

Unread 03/23/2001, 08:52 PM   #17
toptank
Moved On

Yes it is hard to keep under control. I have to remove my PH about every 2weeks to clean them and the sides and front about every 3 days or so.

Barry

My Site: http://barryreef.homestead.com/index.html

Unread 03/23/2001, 09:22 PM   #18
kmu
Registered Member

Hey O'man can you tell us your water parameters and also your type of calcium imput. THX

In Wall 400g 1" acrylic 72x36x36 (Hydras, Marco rocks,Tunze osmolator, Vertex Alpha cone 250)
Unread 03/23/2001, 11:10 PM   #19
O'Man
10 & Over Club

Hey kmu:

Prams are: calcium... 380 to 460
alk........3.5 to 4.0 meq/l
nitrate, phosphate, ect are zero, but I only use hobbiest grade kits like fastest and hagen
specific gravity...22 to 24, depends on level of evaporation
temp........80f
I use seachem reef advantage and reef builder. These are great products, but do require monitoring of specific gravity. They will creep it up on you if you are not careful. I also use 2 part liquids like kent or bi-onic when I am in my lazy mode.

IME/IMO the seachem powders are best for raising levels. The 2 part liquids are best for maintaining existing levels.

Unread 03/24/2001, 07:35 AM   #20
Flatlander
Premium Member

Greg; I agree with most. However, I have found the more intense the lights, the lighter the coralline colour.
Under Iwasaki,s its a pink/purple and under normal outputs its a darker, deeper purple. I even grew some maroon under normal bulbs. The darker also seems to love actinic colours, which of course is darker.

Magnesium & strontium, do indeed promote growth, of course with good levels of calcium.

One of the best additives for the growth of coralline is a two part ca/alk. supplement. I have had great success with both ESV & C-Balance.

Toptank, these two part supplements contain magnesium & strontium, along with other trace elements. Thats why they grow coralline well.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Unread 03/24/2001, 12:21 PM   #21
smokinreefer
Premium Member

hmmm... maybe i could do a little experiment. i have been monitoring my water religiously lately and maintaining Ca and Alk. at about 400 and 3.5meq/l and my coraline has taken off like wildfire! i will admit that i do not do water changes as often as i should, perhaps tommorow. but i dont see my tank getting any supplemental stront/mag. from any internal source. or any other trace elements for that matter. i'll look around and see if i have any supplements lying around and i'll try dosing them. see what happens. if i find some, what should i dose, half the recommended amount? BTW do supplements go bad? if i have some kickin around somewhere they are liable to be a few years old as i have stopped dosing stuff years ago, besides kalk that is.

just a thought

Unread 03/24/2001, 01:41 PM   #22
toptank
Moved On

No doubt the intense lights help. I have 2 tanks the 90 which I posted above but also have a 50 Gal with nothing but PCs and I took some of the LR out of my 90 gal that has the coralline 8 months ago and put it in the 50 gal and the coralline algae has spend very well under the PC. Ca and alka are the same in both tanks.

Barry

Unread 03/24/2001, 07:17 PM   #23
Flatlander
Premium Member

Hey smokinreefer, whatcha dosing with for calcium and alk. P

On a side note, I forgot to mention that my turbos, love to eat coralline.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Unread 03/24/2001, 07:32 PM   #24
Canadian
Premium Member

IME,

Darker coralline species (purple) grow best under moderate light, while intense light like MH encourages lighter colored species to grow.
Good water flow (well oxygenated water) also helps to promote its growth.
B-Ionic is one of the best coralline algae enouragers. And there are a whole whack of "trace elements" in B-Ionic...not just calcium and buffer.

Here's an example from my old tank. I got sick and tired of trying to clean if from the glass, overflow box, etc. On my new tank, I'm working meticulously to keep it from growing anywhere but the rocks.

[Edited by Canadian on 03-25-2001 at 11:39 AM]

--- "mens sana in corpore sano" ---

Current Tank Info: SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless with Beananimal Overflow | 20 g Sump | Bubble King Mini 160 | Biopellets in TLF Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO | Vortech MP20 | Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser
Unread 03/24/2001, 08:20 PM   #25
smokinreefer
Premium Member

hey doug,
i use turbocalcium and superbuffer. about 2 tsp a week of each and i drip kalk to compensate for evaporation, about one and a half gallons a day.