Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Bleach added to a FOWLR tank by mistake

First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I didn't quite know where to put it.
So this is a really long story but the gist is that I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank that the fish had died off in and I got sick and never got around to fixing it or taking it down. It sat dormant for a couple of months and then my illness got to the point that I ended up in the hospital for an extended period and while I was gone, it was decided that it smelled and the "quick fix" solution was to add what I believe was about a half a gallon of bleach to it. I know, I know... but the person that did this didn't know any better and since the tank had been dormant so long, no livestock short of some bacteria and algae was sacrificed.
The question is what to do now? I have not changed the water, just added to it and got everything back up and running along with adding a bottle of Jungle "Start Right" dechlorinator. There is no smell of bleach anymore and actually the tank looks as clean as it's been in a long time. The sand is white but of course now the live rock is too. It looks like base rock.
I've read some other threads on the subject and obviously this is like starting over with a brand new tank. I'm willing to let it just sit and run awhile and of course it's eventually going to have to be cycled. I can and will do water changes too if necessary but if it's going to come down to actually doing a full breakdown of it and replacing the sand and/or rock then I probably won't even set it back up again. I need to get a new test kit too but I'm waiting to see what's up before I decide to even spend money on that. Thoughts?

Last edited by Noah_Count; 04/13/2020 at 10:25 PM.
Noah_Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think the bleach was actually helpful in your situation. Since you had illness in the tank, it's a good idea to add bleach and then run the system for a week or so. This is what I do with my quarantine tanks, between fish.

Now, if you believe the bleach is gone, you've basically got a new tank to start cycling.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 04/14/2020 at 01:53 PM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Michael, I appreciate it. I guess this ended up in the right place as it's essentially a new tank build. I notice my protein skimmer is foaming up a lot. Might be a product of the bleach. Input and suggestions are welcome from everyone, this is uncharted waters for me. Just as a point of reference, here's a pic of where I am now. Look at all those beautiful invisible fish!

Last edited by Noah_Count; 04/14/2020 at 01:39 PM.
Unread 04/14/2020, 02:24 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would drain the water currently in there completely and then refill the tank with freshwater (ideally RO but tapwater will do as well) to rinse the rocks for at least a week. Add dechlorinator as needed and have all pumps run.
After that you can drain the freshwater and fill the tank with saltwater to start cycling the system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Not sure how much interest there is in all this but I've decided to start updating this as if it's a new tank journal. This is as convenient a place as any for me to make notes to refer back to later and maybe down the line it can help someone else out as the other threads on bleach have helped me.
I improvised a bit and broke out the chlorine/PH test kit I used for my above ground pool and did some test. No trace of chlorine but the PH is pretty high. 8.2 on the top of the scale but could be even higher.
I did a partial water change, approximately 30 gallons. I was going to do more but since I was doing it with a 5 gallon bucket, I ran out of steam. I'm not worrying about salinity right now as I may decide to run a garden hose and completely siphon the tank. Still considering all my options.

Unread 04/15/2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Found my old test kit and realized the reagents were still in date. Most levels pretty elevated already. It appears a cycle may already be starting but of course there's no biological filtration of any sort present as I'm sure the bleach wiped everything out. Just a waiting game now. I always hated this part of things as patience isn't my strong suite but what can you do?

Unread 04/23/2020, 09:01 PM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I think the bleach was actually helpful in your situation. Since you had illness in the tank, it's a good idea to add bleach and then run the system for a week or so. This is what I do with my quarantine tanks, between fish.

Now, if you believe the bleach is gone, you've basically got a new tank to start cycling.

How do you go about cycling QT tanks? I’m planning on setting up my first 10 gallon QT tank and and looking for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2020, 07:28 AM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I don't purposely cycle my QT tanks, though they may cycle anyway if they're set up long enough. I do two things that help with water quality and stability. I put a scoop of sand from my display in them, and a few macro algae plants. This keeps ammonia levels down and provides some comforting natural elements. I test for ammonia every other day, and do water changes if needed. I use a simple hang-on power filter for water movement.

If the fish is in QT for a couple of months, the QT may very well cycle. However, once the fish comes out of QT, its time to break the tank down and clean everything wet with bleach solution.

Don't use sand from an infected tank. Use clean sand or gravel if you don't have safe live sand.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 04/24/2020 at 07:35 AM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

"Prime" brand water conditioner will neutralize the bleach. I'd over-satureate with Prime, leave it filled to soak into rock and sand for 2 weeks, then do a 100% water change and refill and try to cycle If it WILL cycle, you're ok.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Just as an update...The bleach is gone or appears to be gone. I tested for chlorine several times and there is none now. My protein skimmer was picking up a lot of liquid at first and there was a lot of foaming down in my sump and that has also stopped. Everything "looks" really good, too good actually, all the sand and rock is white except for one piece which had a natural red color anyway. I do think the rock is starting to show a little bit more of a tan color but of course it will be a long time before it's ever anywhere near what it once was.
As far as the cycle, I put some raw shrimp in and let it pretty much disintegrate before removing the remnants a few days ago. I've got a high level of ammonia right now which is to be expected. I'm hoping I'm in for a normal cycle now but only time will tell. If I don't see the levels start down in the coming weeks then I'll have to reconsider my options. In addition to the rock and sand there is an HOB filter down in the sump area which has foam inserts with carbon and I also have additional carbon in a bag down there. Hopefully the good old bacteria is going to be able to gain a foothold again somewhere in the rock and/or the foam inserts and start turning things around.

Unread 05/01/2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Good news to report. The tank appears to have started to cycle. Ammonia level has dropped considerably. Still not quite safe for livestock but it does appear I'm headed out of the woods now.

Unread 05/10/2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Up and running again

More good news to report. I have begun a slow re population. Levels are acceptable and holding steady and I've got a small bit of color and algae coming back to the rocks. I first added some blue leg hermits and now have a Royal Gramma and a black/white clown. All seems to be well. I kind of wish I'd added two clowns, I almost bought a "regular" one when I bought the black/white yesterday. Wondering now if I added another one within the next week here if I'd have any issues? I may go back and consult with my LFS on that. If not I'll just stick with the one and add something else. Open to suggestions.

Last edited by Noah_Count; 05/11/2020 at 08:38 AM.
Unread 05/12/2020, 08:29 PM   #13
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Following your progress, I might have to go the same route with a used tank, and bleaching and cycling again doesn’t sound that bad when you don’t know what’s in it!

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2020, 07:04 AM   #14
Noah_Count
Registered Member

Based on my experience, I would consider that long and hard before I took that drastic a step. That white looking rock you see was once covered in Coralline. I'm out of the woods I think but it's still a long way back.