Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2016, 11:52 AM   #1
burtner
Registered Member

Kalk/ATO system

Folks, I'd like any suggestions/recommendations you've got for the system I've attached a sketch of.

Basically, I'm gravity draining from my RODI reservoir to a DIY kalk reactor, then using a siphon tube to equalize level between my kalk reactor and ATO/kalk combo tank.

I manually switch (in my tank cabinet) a pump (in basement with the rest of the ATO/kalk system) to fill my Red Sea Reefer XL 525 ATO reservoir, which is 4.3 gallons.

Any/all input is appreciated; I look forward to what everyone has to say.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KalkATO.jpg (100.8 KB, 28 views)

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 525
burtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:46 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Personally, I would use one container, and stir some Kalk into it with a small pump. A few second likely would be long enough. The Kalk reactor might not work as well as you'd like. A number of people report less than saturated output from it. If you want full automation, then a Kalk reactor is a good idea.

Unread 05/24/2016, 05:19 PM   #3
burtner
Registered Member

Difference between the two methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Personally, I would use one container, and stir some Kalk into it with a small pump. A few second likely would be long enough. The Kalk reactor might not work as well as you'd like. A number of people report less than saturated output from it. If you want full automation, then a Kalk reactor is a good idea.
Thanks for the input.

I have a question, though. What is the difference, then, between a stirring-type reactor and mixing a batch-at-a-time, then drawing off the top (above the slurry)? Not that kalk is expensive, I know, but doesn't a reactor more effectively utilize the kalk and provide a more constant-pH output?

Unread 05/24/2016, 06:10 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

The reactors seem to produce less-saturated output than a simple stirring device, possibly because the Kalk is coated or degrade by more stirring than people generally do for a reservoir. The extra stirring introduce more carbon dioxide into the water, which then combines with the Kalk to form sand.

Unread 05/25/2016, 03:22 AM   #5
burtner
Registered Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The reactors seem to produce less-saturated output than a simple stirring device, possibly because the Kalk is coated or degrade by more stirring than people generally do for a reservoir. The extra stirring introduce more carbon dioxide into the water, which then combines with the Kalk to form sand.
Thanks again for the input; I appreciate it.

Unread 05/25/2016, 12:17 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome! Good luck!

Tags
ato, kalk, reactor