Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/30/2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Geoff Noodle
Registered Member

Green Water Killed Clownfish Fry

I added some green water trying to tint the water for newly hatched clown fry. All the fry died very shortly after the green water added. I am suspecting my phyto culture is bad. I started the phyto culture but it would only turn to the level of green like an green apple and won't turn any darker, even if I added more fertilizer.

Any one have experience like this? I am wondering if I should throw away the green water and get a new one from different source.

Geoff Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2019, 12:50 PM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

I like some green water in the beginning to ensure my copepods and bbs are as nutritious as can be and to help with the ammonia. BUT.... You have to be careful with green water.

An unaged green water can just be a source of ammonia and pollutants. Are you using an f/2 formula or 'homemade' substitution? Secondly If the water gets too dark and the light isn't on it can drop dissolved oxygen and ph instead of increasing it. I have had some green water that seems to not darken up often times I have ciliates, rotifers or certain bacteria contamination which impacts the green water.

When I use green water I use it very sparingly and I use it after it has aged. As far as fertilizer I use an f/2 solution (but I still age it) or I use hatching water from my bbs which ends up making a really nice dark algal solution and since I decapsulate my eggs (which is a bleach process) I don't really end up with contamination form the eggs.

My contamination comes from air born rotifers LOL> Those little suckers seem to get into all my algae eventually. My tigger pods seem to be able to infiltrate my bbs hatcher as well. And they love themselves some bbs.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Geoff Noodle
Registered Member

So you have mutated rotifers that have wings? LOL. Thanks for help. I do use F/2 (part B) to grow Nannochloropsis oculata. I also checked there is no ammonia and good ph before I used the green water.

I also noticed that the green water appeared to be a little "hazy" rather than transparent, even in the lighter green stage when culturing. I checked and there was no rotifer pollution in it. I kind of feel there is bacteria in the culture.

How do you know if there is a bacteria contamination? And how do you age your green water?

Unread 05/01/2019, 03:57 PM   #4
kizanne
Registered Member

I have a microscope but also if I let it sit then the bacteria build a film but not the typical green.

As far as aging, I just don't use it for many day usually a week or two after adding the fertilizer.

Do you have a scope or good magnifier to check for ciliates. They are a little smaller than rotifers. so very hard to see without a scope but will eat algae. Often times looks like hazy water if there are high concentrations.

If you have some greenish water try running some through a 2 layers of paper coffee filters. this usually will strain out below bigger than 7 microns depending on the filter (you want the cheap paper filters). this can get the ciliates out without removing the nano which is like 3 microns.

A fancy 10 micron filter would work too. But nano is easy to come by and should be cheap so you could start fresh.. Some ciliates aren't bad there is some breeding journals where they tried ciliates with differing success rates so ciliates plus copepods or rotifers not so bad. But ciliates are a common crash for rotifer cultures. Usually that happens way more often with the dead concentrate than the live. But the paper filter will get most stuff out and leave the nano.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 05/02/2019, 08:19 AM   #5
Geoff Noodle
Registered Member

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I will try more.

Unread 03/24/2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Alamo128
Registered Member

My issue is the green water is causing high levels of phosphates which is killing the fry

Alamo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2021, 07:20 PM   #7
kizanne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo128 View Post
My issue is the green water is causing high levels of phosphates which is killing the fry
Sorry I haven't logged in for a while.

Green water doesn't normal cause high phosphates. If you are using a non-standard fertilizer the fertilizer can cause high phosphates. Tap water can also cause high phosphates.

The F/2 formulation is generally considered safe.

How are you making your green water?

Unread 06/25/2021, 02:43 PM   #8
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Very likely the cause of the fish dying is ammonia. Your larval tank water may have had ammonia and low ph. At a low ph, ammonia is in a non-toxic form. Phyto has a very high ph because there's almost no Co2 in the water. When you add phyto quickly to a larval tank with low ph, you can cause all the ammonia to turn toxic, killing the fish quickly.
For this reason, I always drip phyto into the larval tanks.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote