Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2021, 02:13 PM   #1
m1keol
Registered Member

120 gallon lighting

Hello, I am setting up my 120g tank, actually have everything together, but the light that I am using is having all sorts of issues (ATI SunPower non dimmable) I'm looking to replace this with something else. I was in the hobby about 6 years ago and tried LEDs and had no luck with them. Have they made improvements since then? Are people going back to MH or T5? On my old tank I had a radium MH and had much success with that. Are people running hybrids now? Any recommendations or help is appreciated thanks.

Side note how many radions would I need for a 48" tank 2 I'd imagine.

m1keol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Still an Led market followed by T5, & Hybrids, MH down low on the list but still a great choice.
Ocean Revive T-247 is a good LED & @ least 2 units.
Have you seen BRS series on LED lighting?

Unread 04/02/2021, 07:25 PM   #3
m1keol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Have you seen BRS series on LED lighting?
I have no I will look for it or could you link it. Thanks

m1keol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2021, 08:13 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

There are too many to link.
Just go to You Tube & put in BRS lighting.

Unread 04/03/2021, 02:39 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

I started my 120DT with a pair of AI Sol blues in 2013 and upgraded to a pair of radion XR30G4 pros a few years ago. About doubled my par levels running the radions at 70%. I love the adjustability of them. I use the AB+ program and it gives good color rendition without too much blue.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2021, 06:46 AM   #6
fishgate
Registered Member

Quote:
tried LEDs and had no luck with them
What issues did you have?

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2021, 01:17 AM   #7
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1keol View Post
I was in the hobby about 6 years ago and tried LEDs and had no luck with them.
Have they made improvements since then?
https://www.reefi-lab.com/product/re...d-duo-extreme/
Yes

Quote:
Are people going back to MH or T5?
Some. The common route is MH/t5 hybrids.

Quote:
Are people running hybrids now?
Yes but which hybrid depends. Most popular seems to be leds w/ t5 supplements. Actually sometimes hard to say who supplements who.

Quote:
Side note how many radions would I need for a 48" tank 2 I'd imagine.
Depends on length width depth and goals.

https://youtu.be/h_SdxgxJQY4

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2021, 03:35 PM   #8
golfish
Team RC Member

I run 2 AI Hydra 26s, I also have a 250 watt HQI (Phoenix) that I run for just a couple hrs.

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2021, 09:14 PM   #9
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Kessil 360X—love ‘em! Two for LPS, 3-4 for SPS. Pricey, but comparable to the Radions, which I also considered when I upgraded. I went with the smaller form factor.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2021, 09:34 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I've had just about every lighting option over my tanks over the years. Radium MH and actinic T5 or VHO was always one of my favorite solution.

Modern LEDs will grow anything you want to put under them. That is true for lower end lights that don't blend colors as well as others, and it's true for great color blended lights like Kessil and Radion G5s.

When I ran Kessil A350s, I had some significant shadow issues. The lights made very abrupt shadows, preventing SPS growth on the underside of the branches. I never had this issue with any non-LED light.

I recently replaced my 24" ATI 6 bulb with a gen 5 Radion. I'm VERY impressed with the overal spread and color balance. I almost want to say that it's far better than other lights I've seen (AI and Kessil), but I think that's hyperbole. That said, I think the finer points are much better than those lights, plus the G4 radion. This light uses a lot more LEDs, so the disco effect is almost not there. The color balance can be dialed in to exactly what you want, and shadowing appears to be less of a factor. I say appears because I'm still recovering from a total melt down after a power outage. I don't have any SPS that would give me a first hand account. I think the G5 Radion is the closest thing to a MH/T5 combo on the market with respect to color and blending.

I'm not fan boy yet, but I like it and I'm hopeful. If you consider Radions for your tank, BRS made a very strong case for 3-4 XT15s over 2 XR30s. It's all based on average PAR and the overall spread in the tank.

You should definitely consider these lights in your research. I'm not saying you should get them, but they're worth a look. AI's lights are cheaper, so if you don't want to pay for the little extras the Ecotech light gives, they will grow coral well. So will many other LED, T5, or MH fixtures.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2021, 01:58 PM   #11
Lateralus
Registered Member

Id say look into the Aquaticlife retro/hybrid

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef/ 40 gal sump. Born on 5/30/13.
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2021, 10:40 PM   #12
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

About 4 months ago I decided I was done with my 8 bulb ati sunpower and have since been running 2 XR30 Get 5 Radion Blues and it has been a positive change in every way.
impressive spread and shimmer.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote