Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 07:54 PM   #1
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

New TOTM?

Why have there been no new TOTM articles? I have been gone for awhile and getting back into reefing and active on RC again with a newer account. I always looked forward to the TOTM article but I have not see it updated on the home page since I have been back. Whats the deal?
It seems RC has lost a lot of its older members as well since I dont see any of the members I used to follow.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 07:59 PM   #2
RCS82
Registered Member

Since LED lighting has takin over T5's and M/H, no one's tanks are tank of the month worthy haha.
I'm kidding, and good question. I would love to see more TOTM's.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Gangous
Registered Member

Miss them also enjoyed those threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:18 PM   #4
skip0211
Registered Member

Wonder why they have stopped ?

Mods??

Current Tank Info: 265 Gallon SPS Reef
skip0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 01:46 AM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

I think it was part of the magazine which has not been issued since 2015

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 02:27 AM   #6
JaySchulz
Registered Member

I thought I remembered someone had asked the same question and was going to take on the project of reviving TOTM. He did for a few months and then stopped. Atleast that’s what I think I remember.

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
He did for a few months and then stopped.
That would have been me. We tried to start it back last January. I asked for members to give me nominations. I got a couple. Most that were nominated didn't want to go through what it takes to make it up, (pics and description of system). I kept screaming for people to nominate and it fell on deaf ears. I gave up.

Unread 02/10/2018, 10:50 AM   #8
TrojanScott
Registered Member

Surprising that someone nominated wouldn’t take the time to give pics and the description. I would think most would be flattered. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 09:44 PM   #9
shih87
Registered Member

Here is my view and hope it is not offend anyone.

I think I was the last TOTM (4.2016) when it was still ran by Walton. While some email exchange between us during my write-up process, I observes a few things demotivate reefers to try hard...

1. The homepage is stay at an early TOTM (Anand Kaimal, Nov. 2015) without updated. It could be some technical challenge or HR challenge, but the result is clearly as I stated....RC homepage stay at an old TOTM link.

2. TOTM list. It seems stop at 2015. For new TOTM tanks, you need to know where to click to get through and here it is…http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/in...efkeeping-blog

3. Jesse run a few more(?) in 2017, but it is even harder to find this new TOTM articles, at least I don't know how. Except searching key words like "RC TOTM 2017" via Google search.

4. I DO think once LED kick-in, something become more complicated (good and bad). As my experience of visiting a few local reefers' tanks that I felt deserve my time and effort to learn, but end of many of them have to see under LED, otherwise, it is just a normal tank. However, there are a few no matter LED or T5, look fantastic. Saying that, I believe it do make RC TOTM harder to find good tanks through pictures.

5. Maybe some incentive? When I received RHM (Reef Hobbyist Magazine) invitation to write something. I got three paper copies to easy share with my friends when they visit my tank. It is not a big thing but feel great. Though I understand RHM org and way to run the business it is way different than RC.

6. The 2nd biggest Reef Forum in US, still run their featured tank an organized way and easier to find, if we compare to. (Note: you can also found my tank as a featured tank there much easier)

While I treat RC TOTM tank nomination requirements (see below list and link at http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/totm/index.php) still the principle and best way to judge a good tank or normal tank, I sincerely hope RC TOTM can come back as before.

* How long has the system been running?
* How do the corals and livestock look?
* Is the reef visually appealing, or does anything detract from it (frag racks, PVC, dirty glass)?
* What do the pictures look like (are the colors realistic)? Are the images good enough to use?
* Does the reef look natural, or like a fruit-vendor stand? Have the corals grown in, or does it look like the owner spent significant funds to get an instant-reef?
* Has the tank been featured in any other magazines (print or online)?
* What is the hobbyist’s philosophy when it comes to reef keeping?
* Is the tank a good example for others to emulate, thus qualifying as a future Tank of the Month?

I don't know others, but I got most of my reefing knowledge in RC/Reefkeeping in last 10 years, while other place like Facebook and Youtube, just like some show case places.

BTW, now it is a video world ;-) and you are welcome to comment my tank video here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgE6OGhQlmY&t=3s

Sincerely,

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019

Last edited by shih87; 04/06/2018 at 02:03 AM.
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Tony B (UK)
Important cool title

I miss reading TOTM on this forum, it was superb

Unread 05/12/2018, 12:35 PM   #11
BFG
Registered Member

Maybe the forum committee need to out source RC TOTM ? Or do a tie up with an external party ? I would like to see RC TOTM on youtube so that we could see who the winners are , interviewing how the owner of RC TOTM winner does his tank , equipment used and tips and trick that they stumble upon etc , etc , etc . This would exposes us members more than an article of how someone keeps his tank full of corals .

I kinda like how Reef Builders formats of show casing some great looking reef tank and their owners . This is how it should be done . I know the logistics would be a nightmare but just saying out loud so that someone else could improve on this idea and bring it to reality .

Unread 03/13/2019, 12:22 AM   #12
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Just wanted to revive this thread. Any progress or updates on whether TOTM will ever come back?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 05:08 PM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I think if someone wants it to come back bad enough, puts it together, does the nominations, gets the photos, and does the editing... it may come back.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 04:22 PM   #14
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1210 View Post
Just wanted to revive this thread. Any progress or updates on whether TOTM will ever come back?

I'd like to nominate you Jamie.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Jamie1210
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
I'd like to nominate you Jamie.
Aww, I'm flattered. It means a lot coming from a TOTM alumni lol. But nah, my tank is still years away from being even close to it!

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Unfortunately RC is running on a bare minimum of moderators, and just a few admin. The folks that were in charge of TOTM have been long gone and even if we had nominations for TOTM, which we haven't had in ages, getting them to do a write up on their tank is like pulling teeth.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 07:27 AM   #17
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

One aspect to remember is that forums, even new-ish "modern" forums, have a tough time of it these days. Running any forum has costs, from hosting service fees to forum software license fees, management, etc...

As many might be aware, those costs are typically covered by advertising/sponsor income, and the digital advertising market has been largely concentrated into just a couple of giant corporations - Google and FaceBook. And the rise of social media (particularly FaceBook and Instagram "groups") and its popularity has changed how companies that are interested in advertising their products spend their limited budgets.

I'm honestly grateful that the owners of RC and other moderated forums have been willing to keep their sites going because I think very poorly of "social media" in general. Having said that, my opinion is in a very small minority, and like it or not, "Wild West" social media posting is the new normal.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2021, 09:06 AM   #18
robs.mark
Registered Member

Come on RC, time to bring back TOTM - get it together!

Current Tank Info: Lagoon
robs.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2021, 10:47 AM   #19
kfisc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs.mark View Post
Come on RC, time to bring back TOTM - get it together!
I'm going to guess it's no better (and probably worse) than it was in 2019 regarding the logistics of doing this.

It was fun to see them- and there's always the back issues/archives. Including April Fool's with Diver Dan.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2021, 12:01 PM   #20
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisc View Post
I'm going to guess it's no better (and probably worse) than it was in 2019 regarding the logistics of doing this.

It was fun to see them- and there's always the back issues/archives. Including April Fool's with Diver Dan.
You would be correct!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2021, 11:51 PM   #21
ashish
Registered Member

Fine you don't want to but can you please remove Anands TOTM from 2014 from the homepage pls? This is embarrassing.

RC biggest downfall is its sudden ending of doing TOTM. These where legendary articles and I still reference them to this day. Its a shame since I was planning on winning in 2023 lol

ashish is offline   Reply With Quote