Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2020, 08:59 PM   #10976
billsm43
Registered Member

Hello, my name is Maryetta and I'm so excited to get information howto set up my 210 gallon aquarium.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

billsm43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2020, 03:35 PM   #10977
Kamero87
Registered Member

Hello! My name is Allan, I live in sunny San Diego (for now). I am not new here however I have been away from the hobby, and this website, for a little over 5 years now and I'm ready to get back into it. I kept a few tanks running at one time in the past, a 110g and a few nanos. I think now I am going to stick around the 60-80g range once I find something worth purchasing. Looking forward to conversing with the community and growing corals again.

Kamero87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2020, 02:04 PM   #10978
neo1738
Registered Member

Hey everyone new to the hobby. ALWAYS wanted a salt water tank and finally the wife gave the go ahead. I have ordered a 100g NUVO Ext and ordered a bunch of stuff to go with it based on recommendations from a couple friends of mine. Very excited to get the tank started!

neo1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2020, 11:14 AM   #10979
BoiledInOil
Registered Member

Newcomer

Hi! I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a 32 gallon biocube with some live rock, zoa frags, 2 damsels and a goby. I started the tank in August, 2020. So far, everything appears fine. EXCEPT: After about 1 month of peace and bliss the damsels are attacking the goby. They keep him at the surface of the tank. Every time the goby tries to get to the bottom, the damsels hit him. They even took over the burrow the goby made under the live rock. Am I going to have to choose between the damsels and the goby? I just want like 4 or 5 peace loving creatures in my tank. Any suggestions?

BoiledInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2020, 04:55 PM   #10980
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Get rid of the damsels, known trouble makers.

Unread 11/09/2020, 04:37 PM   #10981
bettatail
Registered Member

many years of freshwater planted tank hobbyist, want to set up a saltwater aquarium.

bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2020, 11:01 AM   #10982
dakitez
Registered Member

not new to the hobby but been away for about 5 years , but even longer for saltwater. Had a 240 fish only that I had built into the wall of my old house and had a 50 reef. The reef I had success in the fact that nothing died but nothing grew either. At the time I did not have the cash for all the best lighting. That is the one thing I see that has greatly changed in this hobby is the leds. No more crazy metal halides and rows and rows of tubes. Im excited to get back into it.

dakitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2020, 09:31 AM   #10983
Dr_N
Registered Member

Hi all,

Been a freshwater keeper for years, took a break, and now am planning to start a 55 gallon reef tank. Any suggestions for setup are welcome. My wife says we have to have a clown and a tang, other than that we are pretty open to any other fish.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Dr_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2020, 02:45 PM   #10984
Orcinus
Registered Member

30 year sabbatical - exploring return

I had 3 different salt water aquariums from '89 - '94; 50G, 70G and 90G. This was in the days of under-gravel filters, Fritzyme, a couple of Fluval external canisters (cant remember the models, but they had 3 separate chambers in a stack inside the can that locked together) a cheap metal fluorescent fixture (sitting ON the tank ) with a couple of blue actinic bulbs. Martin Moe (still have the book) was an authority.

Fast forward 30 some years and I am almost an empty nester, now exploring a return to the hobby I once loved so much.

Forums (or the wide use of the internet for that matter) didn't exist then. I'm so glad it does now, as the knowledge and info available is incredible.

Orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2020, 01:42 PM   #10985
David Coetzee
Registered Member

Good afternoon all,

David Coetzee here.
originally from south africa where i had :

FOWLR and some softies.

198 liter Capacity inlcluding sump. Use a Skimmer from the TL550 in chamber one of the sump + Charcoal. Chamber two live rock, chamber 3 layer of course arogonite.
Chamber 4 and 5 DSB. Chamber 6 Return pump some LR chards and chemical absorption bag. (forgot the name right now).

I sold that in December 2018 as we moved to Quito in Ecuador on 01 January 2019.

I am currently looking into starting something here in Quito now. But alas, there does not seem to be much of a marine scene here.

David Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2020, 08:12 AM   #10986
JasonBailey
Registered Member

I apologize for the link I accidentally pinned it but I can't remove it because I can't change it anchor

JasonBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2020, 08:37 AM   #10987
benlskinner
Registered Member

Hello from Minnesota

Hello hello, I'm Ben from Minnesota. I'm looking to build and operate a tank for either freshwater or saltwater fish, plants, and maybe even coral. Glad to have found the forum!

benlskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2020, 08:22 PM   #10988
westtexasmedic
Registered Member

Hello everyone.

I'm semi new in the hobby. I was a FOWLR. Kid from 14 to 18. Took a break and at the ripe old age of 26 I returned back into the hobby

IMG_3450.jpg
Here's the current tank.

2 months old and almost done cycling

Equipped with a sun sun canister filter with 9 watt UV sterilizer

2 Kessil AP700 lights (not shown, this picture was taken before Christmas )

Hydor 300 watt in line heater

Neptune apex classic currently running PH and temp

Neptune auto leak detection

Neptune auto water top off with a 10 gallon reservoir

I'm finally going off the deep becoming a lean mean coral reef building machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westtexasmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2020, 11:08 AM   #10989
no_ich
Registered Member

Noob, kinda

Hello everyone,

I’ve been a lurker on this forum for years and just decided to get back into the game.

I’ve had several saltwater tanks (30/75/220 FOWLR) in the past and I look forward to continuing to learn and enjoy this hobby for many years to come.

no_ich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2020, 09:15 AM   #10990
Silent reef
Registered Member

Hi folks, new to the hobby. I'll be starting a nano reef soon...

Silent reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2021, 08:38 AM   #10991
megs0628
Registered Member

Hi everyone, starting a tank after many years.

Hi everyone, so glad to be back at the hobby! I had tanks many years ago and superstorm Sandy hit and killed everything. I did not have the heart to start another tank until now. I am sure a ton has changed so I am basically a newbie. I started a 13.5 fluval evo. I am living in northwest NC now and looking for reef groups , swaps, etc...

megs0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2021, 12:54 PM   #10992
Assapax
Registered Member

well, that is pretty nice

Assapax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2021, 03:32 PM   #10993
dblanton
Registered Member

Not new, just back! :-)

Hi Guys,

A while ago, we had a BEAUTIFUL tank but a bunch of stuff hit the fan and we had to get rid of it. All of our guys went to great homes but I was heart broken. Well, now that the kids are grown and we have moved for the last time, we are looking to start a new reef tank. Not sure how big we want it yet but are starting to reacquaint ourselves and learn all of the new stuff. Right now we have 3 freshwater tanks and a 13 gallon nano. We started the nano about two months ago and are waiting for it to grow all of its goodies before adding any soft corals. Right now it just has some rocks, a temporary fake hidey thing and a couple of crazy clowns. The water parameters are perfect and things are growing in there. A few more months and we will be good to go. I'm very excited to be back in the game, I really LOVE my fish and their antics. Two of my freshwater tanks house African cichlids from both lakes. They are beautiful and keep me on my toes. It seems the prettier they are the more aggressive they are. Adorable jerks! Well, I hope to learn all of the things and can't wait until we start building our new tank!

2 Common Clowns
150 Gal Cichlid Tank/36 Gal Cichlid Tank/60 Gal Frontosa Tank

Current Tank Info: 150 Gal Cichlid/36 Gal Cichlid/60 Gal Cichlid/13 Gal Nano/Working on setting up a new Salt Water Tank
dblanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2021, 11:57 PM   #10994
jpmarine86
Registered Member

Very first aquascape, how can I make it better??

Hi everyone! I am a 23 marine biology graduate and am very new to the hobby! It has been my dream for some time and I just recently purchased a 60 gallon acrylic tank! It had been established for more than a year from the previous owner and has quite a few mushrooms and a rose bubble tip in there already. Waiting at least a week before adding any fish or coral.

I tried my hand at aquascaping it but am thinking I may need to change a few things. I feel like the wall on the left is too high, and I feel like there aren't enough hiding spots? I also feel like I should put more islands as I home hoping to put a lot of softies in there in the future. I just want to hear y'alls opinion.What did I do wrong, what did I do right (if any haha) and if you have any suggestions they are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1789.jpg (66.5 KB, 15 views)
jpmarine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2021, 10:48 AM   #10995
valentib
Registered Member

Hello Reefers

Hi RC. My name is Brian, brand new to the hoppy as the wife and kid have finally gotten me to do a saltwater tank after about 7 years of shutting down my last freshwater one. Bought used 57 gallon with trigger sump. Purchased an Apex Controller which should be here Friday. Fishless cycle took about a month but family excited about going to the lfs to either get or order a pair of clown fish!

valentib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2021, 05:24 PM   #10996
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

jparine86,
with acrylic scratching so easily you might want to keep rocks away from the surfaces so you are able to clean them.

Unread 02/11/2021, 10:48 AM   #10997
Nate2005
Registered Member

Yeah those rocks are very close to the glass ,personally I would re scape the rocks maybe put more in the middle of the aquarium , do you have epoxy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2021, 04:51 PM   #10998
Rchan89
Registered Member

Hello everybody, im new to the forum. I am in the process of upgrading my 32 biocube to a 75 gal display and 20 gal sump. My goal is to make a mixed reef mostly LPS. Thought i would jump in on a forum to help take it to the next level!

Rchan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2021, 04:00 PM   #10999
MrFus
Registered Member

Hello every one from Panama City, Florida!

I set up my first saltwater tank like 20 years ago after 11 years of fresh water experience (wow, now that I make the math has been a long time ago!) and I will try to do it again, I'm really not too interested on keeping fish as much as I like Zoanthids (I believe its called reef garden?).

I will like to aim to something small like the Waterbox 20 Cube, AI Prime 16HD LED Light and... I'm not sure, I'm still reading and trying to catch on what is the new technology when it comes to saltwater!

P.S. I still keep fish, 5 fat big koi on a outdoor pond (1500 gallons).

MrFus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2021, 06:52 PM   #11000
mrWinter
Registered Member

Hi folks getting started with a new 90g seahorse tank with fuge, had some experience many years ago but never gotten into the game to this degree. Looking forward to learning lots from folks here.

mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral