Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2020, 06:10 PM   #251
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great pics! Looks like Plank is easing his way into the community. Cute new clownfish. Also in that pic, your Grasilaria hayi looks like plating montipora. Nice! Beautiful pic of Flame, the firefish. You've got quite the feather duster grotto going. Another gorgeous pic!

Dawn, your tank looks amazing!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 04:45 AM   #252
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Cool, is that Gracilaria hayi at the top? If so, I wonder why it’s spreading out like that. Mine always grows in a bush shape.
I believe it is and I do not know why it grows so flat like that. I will say that I like it that way however.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 04:50 AM   #253
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Great pics! Looks like Plank is easing his way into the community. Cute new clownfish. Also in that pic, your Grasilaria hayi looks like plating montipora. Nice! Beautiful pic of Flame, the firefish. You've got quite the feather duster grotto going. Another gorgeous pic!

Dawn, your tank looks amazing!
Thanks Michael, I am glad that the grasilaria hayi looks like a monti because I can't seem to keep those, LOL.

I am happy with how the fish are doing with each other. They seem to be getting along alright.

In general the tank and system are doing well and I am pleased.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 12/21/2020, 08:55 AM   #254
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's funny ThePurple12 and I both noticed your G. hayi's growth. I remember when I had it in the Caribbean tank. Some of it grew in a more bushy shape and some grew into a more plate-like structure. This demonstrates one of my favorite science-y terms; phenotypic plasticity, where the same species of plant can show different growth forms, in different conditions.

I'm so jealous of your fish community. Who needs TV when you have live and in-person fish soap operas playing continuously! I miss that. I need more fish…

Unread 12/21/2020, 09:36 AM   #255
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That's funny ThePurple12 and I both noticed your G. hayi's growth. I remember when I had it in the Caribbean tank. Some of it grew in a more bushy shape and some grew into a more plate-like structure. This demonstrates one of my favorite science-y terms; phenotypic plasticity, where the same species of plant can show different growth forms, in different conditions.

I'm so jealous of your fish community. Who needs TV when you have live and in-person fish soap operas playing continuously! I miss that. I need more fish…
Some of my gracilaria hayi would grow more bush like, (n fact it all started that way) but as time has passed it is nearly all growing more plate-like. There must be something unique about my tank that is causing that????

Fish soap operas are great until they turn into murder mysteries! Or worse yet dramatic thrillers where a hapless victim is being stalked!!! I have tried hard not to allow that to happen but it can be tricky at times. There can always be a renegade even among docile species or cowering wallflowers among what should be more bold species.

Unread 12/21/2020, 12:25 PM   #256
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I think flow and light are the two biggest factors that change growth forms, although mine grows the same way wherever I put it.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 10:03 PM   #257
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Agreed. Maybe light is most important, not sure. I enjoyed keeping it in the Caribbean biotope tank. It grew so well I eventually got tired of it.

I know what you mean, Dawn, with the show getting too dramatic! It's great to have lot's of fish, but it can be intense. I remember my seven member gramma harem took months to settle down, until Big Daddy emerged from the juvenile females.

Unread 12/22/2020, 09:14 AM   #258
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Agreed. Maybe light is most important, not sure. I enjoyed keeping it in the Caribbean biotope tank. It grew so well I eventually got tired of it.

I know what you mean, Dawn, with the show getting too dramatic! It's great to have lot's of fish, but it can be intense. I remember my seven member gramma harem took months to settle down, until Big Daddy emerged from the juvenile females.
It has also grown great in my tank and at times I feel like its growth may be limiting some of my other macro algae? I probably should prune it back more drastically.

Last night I noticed that Monarch, my royal gramma has a film on his body and I caught him scratching and breathing heavy. Now I am very nervous. I do not know if I can catch him and move him into a hospital tank. I have prazipro. I am going to do a bigger water change too. Yeah, fish drama can stink! Especially if one is worrying about a pandemic in the tank!!!

Unread 12/22/2020, 09:41 AM   #259
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I hope everything's ok. I was never able to catch any grammas when mine got ICK. Crossing my fingers!

Unread 12/23/2020, 01:09 PM   #260
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I hope everything's ok. I was never able to catch any grammas when mine got ICK. Crossing my fingers!
I too am hoping for the best but doubt that I will be able to catch him. I did a sizable water change, (about 15 gallons) hoping that may help. Last night when I looked at Monarch he appeared to have less of a film look but I do not like the way he was breathing. I will check him out tonight since I did the water change. Everyone else seems good.

This morning I checked on the new female molly and she looks to be settling in well. Molly McQuire is quite smitten with her but not overly intrusive so that is good.

I should name her and the baby clown soon.

Unread 12/30/2020, 04:59 PM   #261
vlangel
Registered Member

We were away since early Sunday morning visiting our kids out of state, and just got back an hour or so ago. I had an auto fish feeder set for 2Xs a day. Everything looks very good with the tank and system except Plank did not make it. That is a bummer but I had a feeling that he wasn't going to. Monarch the royal gramma seems much better however so I am happy about that. Coral, macros and seagrass all seem to be doing well.

Unread 12/30/2020, 05:22 PM   #262
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I'm curious, what are you using in the autofeeder? I just got one and am using NLS pellets, which float until they become waterlogged. I'm using a ring of PVC to keep the pellets in place until they sink.

Unread 12/31/2020, 04:25 PM   #263
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm curious, what are you using in the autofeeder? I just got one and am using NLS pellets, which float until they become waterlogged. I'm using a ring of PVC to keep the pellets in place until they sink.
I used marine flake a d spectra pellets. Using a ring is a great idea, I think I will do that next time I go away. Although I am happy for some of the food to drain down into the fuge to feed it as well.

Unread 01/05/2021, 09:30 AM   #264
vlangel
Registered Member

Now that we are settling into 2021 and past the christmas festivities I am able to focus on my tanks a bit more. They are doing well but there are always things that can use attention.

The display has a few patches of bubble algae. Not a major outbreak but it probably needs nipped in the bud to prevent a whole scale pandemic! (Sorry, that was probably a really bad joke!). No doubt both my powerhead and return pump would benefit from a vinegar bath.

I would like to add more garden soil to my refugium this year too. I am not sure how to do that with the fuge already set up, but I am pondering it.

Unread 01/05/2021, 10:32 AM   #265
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm in the same boat. Things are ok, but could be better. I've also got some bubble algae and cyanobacteria. I believe the cyano is trending down, so I feel like I'm on track with it. The bubble algae seems to remain under control, as long as I pluck them out occasionally.

Adding soil to your fuge sounds good - and tricky!

Unread 01/06/2021, 07:02 AM   #266
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:

Adding soil to your fuge sounds good - and tricky!
What do you think about siphoning the top inch of sand off the sandbed surface, then adding the garden soil and then covering it back up with the sand that was siphoned off?

Unread 01/06/2021, 10:02 AM   #267
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think that would work, but it'll be a mess. It beats breaking down the tank, unless you have maybe another good reason to break it down. It would be good to isolate your fuge from the rest of the system, if possible, so all that cloudiness doesn't go into the other tanks. If you can do that, it's just a matter of waiting for it to clear, and you're back in business.

Unread 01/06/2021, 02:45 PM   #268
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I think that would work, but it'll be a mess. It beats breaking down the tank, unless you have maybe another good reason to break it down. It would be good to isolate your fuge from the rest of the system, if possible, so all that cloudiness doesn't go into the other tanks. If you can do that, it's just a matter of waiting for it to clear, and you're back in business.
You are right that it'll be a big mess and I don't look forward to that. Isolating it from the sump and display is easy...just moving the drain (which is flexible tubing) into the adjacent sump and presto, its isolated! The fuge even has an Aquaclear filter that can be plugged in and filled with floss to help clear the cloudiness. I am not ready to tackle this project any time soon, however. The ground in my garden needs to thaw for one thing.

I can vinegar bath my pumps which is an easy job and a great one to tackle in the winter.

Today I removed a lot of bubble algae growing in my gracilaria, which meant removing a lot of it as well. Fortunately it grows relatively fast so it's ok.

Tomorrow I should do a water change.

Unread 01/06/2021, 03:11 PM   #269
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Isolating a tank can't be much simpler than that! I also like the idea of vacuuming out the top layer of sand. This sounds the least disturbing to the grasses. With the filter floss filtration, it should clear up quickly, so I suspect your project will be less of a mess than mine was. With it not being too urgent to do, you'll have ample time to think of other things to make it go smoother, as you plan it out. I actually wrote down a list of steps to help me remember everything and to do the steps in the right order.

I have to admit I don't mind bubble algae all that much. It's kind of pretty. But I don't want a whole tank of it. So I remove some from time to time. I've noticed the big ones are much easier to remove than the small ones. I tried an emerald crab and it ate more desirable macros instead of the bubbles. Not cool.

Unread 01/06/2021, 05:41 PM   #270
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Isolating a tank can't be much simpler than that! I also like the idea of vacuuming out the top layer of sand. This sounds the least disturbing to the grasses. With the filter floss filtration, it should clear up quickly, so I suspect your project will be less of a mess than mine was. With it not being too urgent to do, you'll have ample time to think of other things to make it go smoother, as you plan it out. I actually wrote down a list of steps to help me remember everything and to do the steps in the right order.

I have to admit I don't mind bubble algae all that much. It's kind of pretty. But I don't want a whole tank of it. So I remove some from time to time. I've noticed the big ones are much easier to remove than the small ones. I tried an emerald crab and it ate more desirable macros instead of the bubbles. Not cool.
Writing everything down in order is a good idea. I think I will do that too. I will think on this some more too.

I don't mind bubble algae too much either but like you I remove some from time to time to keep it in control. I never had luck with emerald crabs either.

Unread 01/08/2021, 05:35 AM   #271
vlangel
Registered Member

This weekend I plan to vinegar bath my pumps and remove detritus from my sump.

Unread 01/13/2021, 10:16 AM   #272
vlangel
Registered Member

Ha ha, the vinegar bath did not happen as helping an elderly aunt with her elderly dog that broke its leg took precedent. O well, there is lots of time for the vinegar bath to happen.

My husband knew I wanted a mandarin and wanted to get me one for Christmas. When Plank died I felt stressed over my fish and chose to hold off. Also I have re-homed mandies more than once because I could not get them trained onto frozen and I do not think my tank system could sustain one without it eating prepared food too.

Dave still wants to get me something for my tank so I have been looking into KP Aquatics. For about the same price as a CB Biota blue Mandy I could get a yellow ball sponge, a cork screw nem, a pistol shrimp (that perhaps could pair with the corkscrew nem), a green RFA, a fighting conch and 2 rooted halimeda! That is including overnight shipping (if everything can fit in 1 box). Those animals are a lot less risk and would add so much diversity to my tank. They are very much in keeping with the natural look of my display as well. I will let ya all know if I pull the trigger on this!

Unread 01/13/2021, 10:48 AM   #273
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I vote yes, sounds like a very interesting addition!

Unread 01/13/2021, 10:51 AM   #274
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That sounds great! What's a green RFA? I've had great luck with KP Aquatics. The Yellow Ball Sponge is maybe the hardiest of the sponges, so great choice. I vote yes!

I didn't get to my planned weekend tank work either…

Unread 01/13/2021, 02:13 PM   #275
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I vote yes, sounds like a very interesting addition!
I am glad you approve because I did it. If I understand KP Aquatics shipping policy I should have everything next Wed or Thurs, assuming they have Monday off (Martin Luther King day).