Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2021, 09:54 AM   #476
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to hear about your Blenny. Keep trying. You never know what will work. Get creative. Have you tried live brine shrimp?

Sounds like everyone else is doing great. You have quite the enviable community!

I know what you mean about stagnating. My Dragon's Breath is looking pretty shaky. With your new lighting, everything can probably use more nutrients. The balance with lighting, nutrients and biomass is a moving target. With the fuge, you've got more plant biomass to feed.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2021, 08:20 AM   #477
vlangel
Registered Member

I have not seen the blenny for over a day now. It was in one of the entrances of the undermined caves on Wed. night. I took that as a sign that it recognized that it was weakening to the point that it no longer wanted to be out in the open. I was preparing myself for its demise and I suspect that that is what has happened. Of course I am very sad but I offered a large variety of food, pretty much everything that I had access to and I never saw it eat. A case where you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

The watchman is still doing quite well so all is not bad news. Tomorrow the local club is hosting a frag swap and so maybe I will come home with some ricordia or feather duster worms. We will see.

I may stop at a lfs that is on the way home (but about an 1.5 hours from my house) to see if they have a fish that would be compatible with my tank. I hate to introduce Guardian the watchman all by himself. I would consider another canary blenny or even a coral beauty angel.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2021, 05:40 PM   #478
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Some fish just won't eat. Such a bummer.

Otherwise it sounds like everything's going well! I look forward to hearing what you get tomorrow!

Anymore thoughts on CO2? I don't mean to push it. You may not even need it, with all the CO2 factories you have swimming around. I was just curious.

Unread 04/20/2021, 05:14 AM   #479
vlangel
Registered Member

Hhm, I must be experiencing a Sr moment. I thought sure I posted on the frag swap a detailed description. Ha ha, maybe I did not hit quick reply after I typed it up, who knows?

Anyway the frag swap was a lot more fun than I anticipated. Usually I don't see the simpler stuff that I am interested in and although the high end stuff is beautiful, its a long drive just to look.

However I wanted some FL ricordia and there were some for a good price. My sharp eyed hubby saw one plug with 2 different colors on it and the vendor gave it to me for $20 and I was happy with that.
We also got quite a few free samples of Spectrum Life food for coming in the door. Food for both coral and fish. The fish food has a probiotic in it so that seems like a good thing. I bought a handbook on different fish species and although a lot of that info can be found online, this particular book was one we used at the lfs that I worked at from the 90s and I know that it is an oldie but goodie. Its just the right size and it was used and cheap too. I picked up some blue legged reef crabs and she gave me a very generous amount and they are doing a good job in both the fuge and display. I also got 2 peppermint shrimp to add to the fuge.

The most fun part of the day was the raffle however. If you bought a minimum of 10 raffle ticket you got a container of Spectrum Life food, which probably cost close to $10, (each ticket was a dollar). Dave and I each bought a string of 10. We had scoped out the prizes ahead of time and again my sharp eyed hubby spotted an inconspicuous prize of a wooden seahorse plaque. I had seen it too but was going to try and get more for my tickets. As it turns out though Dave noticed that a $50 gift card to one of the vendors that I liked came with it!!! Woohoo. There were very few tickets in it either. We put a few tickets in and then watched until it was almost time for the raffle before committing the rest of our tickets. It was so funny the 2 of us watching intently every person walk by that item. In the end, that gift got overlooked by most just like I had done. We added the rest of our ticket and waited for it to be raffled. And amazingly we won! So, I got 2 gorgs (sadly of which 1 died the next day) plus the seahorse plaque. I am going to add some color to the plaque and hang it in our enclosed screened porch where the hot tub is. That area has other seahorse decor so it will be nice out there. I was sad to see all the flesh of the one gorg on the sand the next morning which was a bummer. The bag it was in was cloudy by the time we got home so maybe it just was never healthy. The other one looks good however and is a nice addition. The new ricordia have also settled in nicely. So that is our frag swap experience.

Now to make sure I hit REPLY, LOL!

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 04/20/2021, 05:59 AM   #480
vlangel
Registered Member

Here are some pics of Guardian in the fuge.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vPFhtZUSeYwBYZAa8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hs11fgUSf3qCFHX97

Unread 04/20/2021, 10:27 AM   #481
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice haul from the frag swap. I love eagle-eye finds! Good books are still nice to have. I've collected a number of them over the years. I look forward to seeing your new ricordea and gorgonian.

Guardian looks like he's in charge of the fuge. He's pretty too!

Unread 04/20/2021, 04:31 PM   #482
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QXHPXqZb634HHHUb7
Above is looking down on the gorgonian. Some photo bombing fish too.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysKXEFqmVd9sA1rQ9
Now all my ricordia look the same color, how did that happen? I still like them however.

Unread 04/21/2021, 12:37 PM   #483
vlangel
Registered Member

I caught Tommy nipping on my shaving brush last night. I wondered why it was getting shorter, doh! I just thought it would be too fibrous for him to be interested, WRONG! Today I moved it down into the fuge.

Also I forgot to mention that last weekend I was cleaning the glass in the back near the rock and SNAP! Rice Krispies apparently thought that I was too close to his lair and he got me. It did not hurt but it surprized me plenty. Dave heard the snap all the way in another room! Funny shrimp.

Unread 04/21/2021, 02:35 PM   #484
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Tommy's not supposed to do that. Doesn't he read the literature?

Shrimp attack?! I bet that was a shock. The closest I've had to that is a cleaner shrimp getting on my hand and start eating a scab. That's the only time I've fed a critter with my own flesh. Circle of life?

Unread 04/22/2021, 04:54 AM   #485
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Tommy's not supposed to do that. Doesn't he read the literature?

Shrimp attack?! I bet that was a shock. The closest I've had to that is a cleaner shrimp getting on my hand and start eating a scab. That's the only time I've fed a critter with my own flesh. Circle of life?
I suspect that Tommy is an illiterate eating machine! He is such a fat, sleek ( as in smooth beautiful scales) fish. He continuously forages in the sandbed and the silicone joints for algae or detritus. When I put food in the tank he gobbles up as much and as fast as he can! I get enjoyment just by watching how much he likes to eat.

I also have had cleaner shrimp jump on my hand and clean 'I do not know what'! Dead skin cells I guess? My current cleaner shrimp has never jumped on my hand however. Occasionally I have seen him clean a fish, namely Marmalade but that is about it. I am hoping that is a sign that my tank is relatively parasite free. Or maybe he is just a lazy cleaner and prefers to wait for me to provide all his sustenance with prepared foods!

Unread 04/22/2021, 07:07 AM   #486
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You'd think my Tomini Tang has read too much and is afraid of her own shadow! She's gradually coming around to the feeding time feast. It's good to hear yours is a glutton. I look forward to that.

Unread 04/22/2021, 11:02 AM   #487
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
You'd think my Tomini Tang has read too much and is afraid of her own shadow! She's gradually coming around to the feeding time feast. It's good to hear yours is a glutton. I look forward to that.
Maybe she is afraid of her shadow because she watches too much news! That makes me nervous, Ha ha!

I still think that she will come around and get comfortable when she has had enough time, especially since she is not letting the damsels her. I say to her: lets see those scalpels!

Unread 04/22/2021, 11:26 AM   #488
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Agreed. She'll come around. I wish I felt that way about the two missing Grammas…

Unread 04/22/2021, 01:00 PM   #489
vlangel
Registered Member

Still no sightings of the missing grammas I guess. I know how it feels to keep going every day without any glimpses and losing more hope. Its discouraging!

Unread 04/22/2021, 01:09 PM   #490
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, it is. Man, I wish I could've caught those Damsels! It's frustrating knowing a solution, and not being able to accomplish it.

Unread 04/22/2021, 01:12 PM   #491
vlangel
Registered Member

I hear ya! I love the color and activity that my damsels bring to the display but they are the main reason I am afraid to reintroduce Guardian by himself. I do not trust the damsels.

Unread 04/22/2021, 01:21 PM   #492
vlangel
Registered Member

I did another WC today in an attempt to get the salinity dialed in better and to add more calcium. I think not enough calcium is why the Halimeda from KPA did not do great. The sample pack from live plants.com are doing much better but I have been more mindful of calcium now. I still do not have any coraline algae so I could probably add even more.

In general the display looks very nice. The sand bed cleared up from whatever was causing the rust color in spots and it is pretty and white now. Most of the living things are doing well but a closer detailed look does reveal that some of the life is languishing. Only 1 feather duster opens since I moved them. I should have left well enough alone. Also my GSP and Xenia just are not flourishing. Everyone can grow Xenia and GSP so I sure don't know what the problem is???? I have nutrients but maybe not enough of the right ones. Still, I am enjoying the tank so that is what matters.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ia7zAU1Pqdjr7uFG9

Last edited by vlangel; 04/22/2021 at 01:43 PM.
Unread 04/22/2021, 04:30 PM   #493
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It does look nice. Sorry to hear some of your critters aren't thriving. Keep plugging away, and you'll figure it out. Wish I could help but that's out of my area of expertise. I bought a jar of Kalkwasser a while back at my LFS. Maybe that could help?

Unread 04/24/2021, 04:26 PM   #494
vlangel
Registered Member

The feather dusters was my fault. They were all doing the best that I ever had feather dusters do and then I decided to move them. I should have left them where they were but my 'ideal' was that I would eventually put shoal seagrass there. As it turns out, I do not have a lot of shoal seagrass thriving in the fuge much less move any upstairs to the display. The best laid plans of mice and men!

I am pretty sure I know why KPA's Halimeda did not do well and that is because of too little calcium for a carcareous macro algae. Of the 3 I can only still see 1. It does not look great but it is getting fresh green buds/sprigs on it which is encouraging. I have not given up hope that the other 2 still have something living under the substrate that could also send up shoots.

The most discouraging thing I am facing is the recession of the xenia and gsp. I really have no idea why they are receding. I used to keep gsp and throw mats of it away when it grew so rapidly and I could not find anyone who wanted some. xenia has always been a challenge for me but I was hoping that this time would be a charm. It does not appears so.

On a positive note the gorg that survived the frag swap ride home looks great, as do the new ricordia.
I have been seeing Connie the Conch this past week out and about. It had been buried for several weeks without any sightings and then all of a sudden there it was vacuming the surface of the sandbed. It really is a cool creature. Guardian is definitely large and in charge of the refugium. He's a great fish and I really like him.

Unread 04/24/2021, 06:09 PM   #495
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to hear about your feather dusters. Good to know though. Place 'em and leave 'em. It shouldn't be long before we can do the swap thing and you'll have lots of shoal grass. This week looks good actually, finally. I'll see what level of gumption I can muster on Sunday. Bump that calcium up and the halimeda could bounce back. I had some pop out of the live rock, when I added a small amount of Kalkwasser.

Green Star Polyps were one of the few corals I had success with, in my reefing attempt. I wish I could help, but I have no idea what I did right for them. Maybe they just need more time to adjust to your tank.

Conchs are cool! Ricordia are gorgeous.

Unread 04/25/2021, 02:12 PM   #496
vlangel
Registered Member

I am ready for a trade when you are. I have some nice rainbow nems, codium and purple sponge. I am hoping to have a 2nd chance to do better with the shoal grass.

Unread 04/25/2021, 03:53 PM   #497
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm not quite there but I should be ready soon. I got two thirds of the caulerpa cleared from the sand bed today. Once I get that done, I'll be ready to pull Shoal Grass. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Unread 04/25/2021, 05:55 PM   #498
vlangel
Registered Member

Take your time Michael, I am definitely not pushing you. I am just ready whenever you are.

Clearing a tank of caulerpa is a painstaking endeavor. Like you, I wished that I had resisted the temptation to add it, but like you I couldn't resist the quick growth and gratification all that lush greenery provided. I have mine pruned enough that other macros are finally getting nutrients but I prune and remove it pretty much every week. Its not a lot of time involved but it needs to be done regularly to keep it in check.

Unread 04/25/2021, 10:52 PM   #499
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Talking about the trade is getting me psyched!

Caulerpa regretus.

Unread 04/30/2021, 02:37 PM   #500
vlangel
Registered Member

There is not a lot to report on this week. All is well. I did my end of the week water change and that was about it. I have not even cleaned off the glass but it doesn't look all that bad either. A lazy week I suppose.