Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2013, 12:40 PM   #1
rogerrgr
Registered Member

Where to buy an ATB seahorse feeder

Anybody ever make or know where to buy one of these? They look pretty neat, neater than my seashell. And is called the ATB seahorse feeder. I googled it and can't find it anywhere for sale. It's adjustable for height and floats. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 150g rimless aquarium, 55g sump, euroreef skimmer, 3 AI Vega colors, 2 Tunze 6105's, GFO GAC reactor, Neptune DOS dosing pumps, Mixed Reef
rogerrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Molehs
the H is silent

Looks like they released pictures about a year ago and then nothing more. You might try to use the contact page on the ATB website, http://www.aquariumtechnik.at/kontaktEN.html, to see if they can offer any additional information about purchasing one.

Honestly I think they look great in idea but I think it would be more trouble than it was worth in practice.

Unread 01/04/2013, 02:56 PM   #3
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

The design doesn't look tuff to make from common PVC fittings. However, I doubt I'd want it to float, as it's liable to float into the return flow and I suspect that would blow the mysis out of the little cup in the bottom. You'd also need to thaw/soak the mysis in SW so they'll sink down the tube, otherwise, they'll fly all over the place.

I agree tho...interesting idea, but likely more of a PITA to use than it's worth.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

I use a cup in the tank, and a rigid PVC tubing, and a turkey baster.

thaw and mysis, add some SW, use turkey baster to suck in some mysis, put the rigid [clear] PVC in tank with the end in the cup and other end outside the tank. then with the baster inject the mysis into the tube. the mysis moving down will attract seahorses, they follow it into the cup where it will stay for them to eat, and you can easily remove the uneaten portion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Allmost
Moved On

I use a cup in the tank, and a rigid PVC tubing, and a turkey baster.

thaw and mysis, add some SW, use turkey baster to suck in some mysis, put the rigid [clear] PVC in tank with the end in the cup and other end outside the tank. then with the baster inject the mysis into the tube. the mysis moving down will attract seahorses, they follow it into the cup where it will stay for them to eat, and you can easily remove the uneaten portion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 06:27 PM   #6
DanU
Registered Member

My best feeding stations were cereal bowls. Not very nautical or aquarium looking but worked very well and easy to clean.

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 09:33 PM   #7
rogerrgr
Registered Member

Thank you for all the responses and pictures. I think after reading everything that I will go with a clear glass type cereal bowl and clear ridgid tube. I've been using a large shell and turkey baster and it's sorta hard to get all the mysis in there.
Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 150g rimless aquarium, 55g sump, euroreef skimmer, 3 AI Vega colors, 2 Tunze 6105's, GFO GAC reactor, Neptune DOS dosing pumps, Mixed Reef
Unread 01/04/2013, 11:08 PM   #8
TamiW
Seahorse Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molehs View Post

Honestly I think they look great in idea but I think it would be more trouble than it was worth in practice.
I had built something similar years go (it was no where near as nice and fell apart in the end) and I loved it. I always wanted to build another one, but I wanted to build it out of more durable materials, and I didn't have access to the materials or skills to do it.

My husband is now part of makerspace, where they have a 3d printer; I'm going to see about figuring out how to build one.

I also thought about making one out of a window bird feeder, but never got that far.

It's all about the snick!

Current Tank Info: I have a fish room.
TamiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Fudz Cwerner
Registered Member

If anyone finds one in the US, please let me, or us know. I had posted a thread for my local club last week looking for this exact feeder, but no one had seen one. Pretty much everyone was doing a DIY method.

Fudz Cwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2013, 06:45 AM   #10
rogerrgr
Registered Member

I ended up buying some glass bowls at the dollar store and used one of them instead of my seashell. It worked tons better than the shell I was using and stayed in there well. It is funny to see 6 seahorses sitting in the bowl eating.
I still used the turkey baster to slowly put the mysis down into the bowl because I havn't been able to find a ridgid clear tube yet. Any suggestions where to find one I can use? I already checked the LFS and the local hardware store. Thanks!

Unread 01/07/2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Molehs
the H is silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrgr View Post
I ended up buying some glass bowls at the dollar store and used one of them instead of my seashell. It worked tons better than the shell I was using and stayed in there well. It is funny to see 6 seahorses sitting in the bowl eating.
I still used the turkey baster to slowly put the mysis down into the bowl because I havn't been able to find a ridgid clear tube yet. Any suggestions where to find one I can use? I already checked the LFS and the local hardware store. Thanks!
I got mine at the local Petsmart. I think it was in the same aisle as the air stones.

Unread 01/08/2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Fudz Cwerner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molehs View Post
I got mine at the local Petsmart. I think it was in the same aisle as the air stones.
How long is the tube that you found? I'm currently using a JBJ 28g nano, but this weekend I will finish setting up a 60g cube, which is 5" deeper. I saw that HD and Lowes had 3/4" clear tubing for sale that seemed like it was rigid enough, but I would rather have a clear hard pipe.

Fudz Cwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2013, 10:25 PM   #13
George_G
Registered Member

Rigid clear tubing

Clear rigid tubing is fairly commonly available at LFS's in NY, but if you can't find it here is an online source:

Aquatic Eco-Systems
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...d-Clear-Tubing

And while you're at it browse the site, they have lots of good stuff of interest to Seahorse keepers. Dan sent me in their direction for the cone BS hatchers.

George G.
Hicksville, NY

George_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2013, 05:28 AM   #14
rogerrgr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudz Cwerner View Post
How long is the tube that you found? I'm currently using a JBJ 28g nano, but this weekend I will finish setting up a 60g cube, which is 5" deeper. I saw that HD and Lowes had 3/4" clear tubing for sale that seemed like it was rigid enough, but I would rather have a clear hard pipe.
I think the stuff at the pet store is the tube used for undergravel filters that they sell seperately. They used to stock it at the store by me, but now they don't.. If I recall right, it was about 2', which would be plenty long enough. I ended up finding a rigid clear tube that a large thermometer was shipped in.

Unread 01/11/2013, 02:49 AM   #15
George_G
Registered Member

Correction

Argh. Irrelevant to the original topic, but, in the interest of accuracy, that was NOT the site Dan sent me to for BS hatchers, it was:
http://florida-aqua-farms.com/

Sorry 'bout that. Ancient brain cells not firing on all cylinders.

George
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_G View Post
-snip-
Aquatic Eco-Systems
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...d-Clear-Tubing
-snip-
Dan sent me in their direction for the cone BS hatchers.

George_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2013, 02:54 PM   #16
funkejj
Registered Member

I buy rigid tubing from amazon cheap. Far cheaper than any other place on the net.

funkejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 05:26 PM   #17
jimlin
Registered Member

any update on atb seahorse feeders?

jimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2013, 07:02 AM   #18
MxReEfEr92
MASVC President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
any update on atb seahorse feeders?