Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2013, 10:59 PM   #1
crn005
Registered Member

DIY Sea Swirl Thingy-ma-jig

So this design has been done before and it's not really a secret. However, I just wanted to make a log of it on here for people that would like to make their own one day. The only problem I encountered while making these arose before I even started. The diameter of the internal pipes of the spinning component is only 1/4". I have seen others online make these and they have claimed that they can handle 500 GPH or more each. This worried me because I was thinking there was no way that a 1/4" diameter hole could handle that much flow, but the guy at Lowe's made a good point. There aren't really sprinklers with larger diameters than that. So, maybe it's not quite that much per hour (physics can be unruly at times), but I think that two of them will be plenty enough to handle my ~350 GPH return. Anyways, here are lots of pictures for your visual entertainment!

Items needed:
-3/4" PVC Coupling (slip x slip)
-Cheap, PVC sprinkler from any generic place
-1/2" PVC Socket Cap
-1/2" 90 Degree Elbow
-1/2" PVC (only need a bit)
-PVC Cement
-Dremel
-Torch

The starting product. They are available at many places.

The key to this project.

Cut off the arms.

Get rid of everything but the main pipe that water goes through.

Isolate the spinning component.

Done! Now the next step.

Cut off the bottom (opposite of the spinning arm side) to expose the part that water goes through.

Done.

crn005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 10:59 PM   #2
crn005
Registered Member

Now to clean up both sides. Make sure that the fatter part (bottom part) isn't completely trimmed down like in the picture. It will make bonding to the 3/4" coupling a little more difficult because it will be too trim.

Time to drill the 1/2" slip cap. Make sure to drill a pilot and then go in with a drill bit that matches the outside diameter of the top part of the spinning device (the one the connected to the spinning arms), or slightly smaller, and connect them.

Now slide the 1/2" elbow on the 1/2" slip cap and PVC glue the 3/4" coupling to the fatter part (bottom) of the spinning component.

Now, it's time to make spouts out of the 1/2" PVC pipe. Gentlemen, start you torches! Just bend some PVC, cut/sand it as you like, and connect them all!

Finished product. Time to break out the Krylon and enjoy!

Unread 02/27/2013, 11:12 PM   #3
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Lets see it in action.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Twin Reefs
Registered Member

Ok...interesting....but how does it work in the tank? Anyone have these in their tanks or have a video on YouTube to watch?

Twin Reefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 11:51 PM   #5
crn005
Registered Member

My project has taken much longer than I expected but it's slowly coming together. I will be gluing up the external/internal overflow box tomorrow then I just have to let it cure for a bit. I'll put a video up to report the results once I have the cycle started. I have full confidence in them. If anything, I'm afraid they might spin too fast. I made the spouts short and tried to make bigger holes (which should slow down the spin a bit), but I have a pretty mean angle coming out of the spout and the component spins when you blow on it.

Unread 02/28/2013, 01:00 AM   #6
biggles
Registered Member

If it spins too fast a small hole drilled on the back of the arm should slow it down, bit like a siphon break hole if you know what i mean. You can always enlarge the back hole until you're happy with the spin rate. Looks good so far, thanks for the pics

Unread 02/28/2013, 01:42 AM   #7
crn005
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks good so far, thanks for the pics
No problem!

Quote:
Lets see it in action.
Done. The pump is rated at about 740 GPH and the pipe only extends about 3-4" above the water (the pipe is about 8" from the output of the pump with the fixtures). The swirl is definitely not moving the amount of water that the pump should be so I think that multiple swirls should be used for this sized pump. However, with your hand in the water, it is a very cool feeling to have the waves slowly come and go like real waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3iv39VA0ws

After that trial run I don't think it's going to spin too fast. I think that between however many it takes to handle the return pump (two, maybe three), they are going to spin at a nice rate and get a lot of turbulent flow. I'm excited to get them up and running once my internal/external are completed.

Last edited by crn005; 02/28/2013 at 01:49 AM.
Unread 02/28/2013, 05:11 AM   #8
cy93
Registered Member

ingenious! Will try this one out! My only concern would be that algae or detritus build up over time would hinder or stop movement completely.

cy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 08:05 AM   #9
GaryLCrouch
Registered Member

THATS GREAt. i would have never ever thought of that. Good DIY. I had to read it with the title you had on it.

GaryLCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 02:44 PM   #10
crn005
Registered Member

I don't think the algae will be much of a problem. You can push the spinning component pretty far down into the 1/2" cap to where the spinning part is almost entirely concealed. Plus, I'm just dry fitting them to the return so I can remove them and take a toothbrush to it with ease. The best part about these guys is that they cost about $5 or less to make if you have PVC glue and 1/2" or 3/4" PVC lying around. It doesn't take much. Plus, you're looking at a 30-45 minute build time for each, depending on how fast you work.

Unread 02/28/2013, 03:13 PM   #11
ChrisKey
Registered Member

I am definitely looking forward to a video of this working.

ChrisKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 05:36 PM   #12
crn005
Registered Member

Just as soon as I get my external and internal overflow boxes up and running, I will definitely post a video of them in action on the display tank. Feel free to expedite the process on this other thread so I can deliver on this one!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2261673&page=3

Unread 03/12/2013, 02:36 PM   #13
d_sinsley
Registered Member

Been following this

Ok I am in the planning stages of my tank and I am a DIY kind of guy. So much so that I would probably pay more to build it myself than buy it. I am going to shoot for between 500-600 GPH (actual) from my return. In your testing what do you feel one of these puts out. I am thinking one swirl in the center of my 100L and then two 1/2" loc-line nozzles in the front corners should do the trick.

d_sinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 12:15 PM   #14
crn005
Registered Member

Sorry I'm so late to reply! I didn't realize You had commented. Anyways, I think that should be fine. They seem to restrict the flow a little more than just running a lock line but they definitely can move some water.

My build has been slowed down quite a bit due to money and time (story of my life) but its getting close to being up and running. I just tried a little dry fitting trial run with two of them connected to a pipe running across the front of my internal overflow. I'm going to give them a go real soon and see how both in action at the same time work. However, I'm only doing this to test their abilities. I will not be using them permanently due to how small my tank is. I feel like the pipe and rotating hands will right under my LEDs and it will cast annoying shadows. We will see but they're probably not going to be used until I do my next bigger build

Last edited by crn005; 05/08/2013 at 12:21 PM.