Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Warmart
Registered Member

Question Ebay T5 Fixtures - Anyone w/1st Hand Experience?

I'm in the market for new T5 lighting for my 55 (standard 48" length), and was planning to get Aquactinics - but see they've had a rather large price hike -- so I've started looking around a bit, with that big auction place being part of my focus.

I've found the following fixtures, and they look to be decent knockoffs of the above, or TEK's. All have individual reflectors - some have fans and there's even a remote control model (would be nice as it's only one cord and I wouldn't need timers).

So if anyone has 1st hand experience - I'm all ears. If you don't - and nobody answers - I'll know they are most likely not worth my money

48" T5 AQUARIUM LIGHT HOOD RC FANS, MOONS 8 x 54W
48'' Aquarium Light T5 HO 8x 54 NEW Moon Lunar
48" SOLAR WITH REMOTE CONTROL AQUARIUM LIGHT 6 X 54W

I'll probably be hanging whatever fixture I get as my 55 is in an arched opening between our kitchen/dining and family room, and I'd like it to be less of a pain to do maintenance on the tank. I am prepared to not use all 8 lights (if I go for an 8) and save it for a future tank upgrade

I'm also considering the new Nova Extreme Pro. Although I'm not finding the looks to be very attractive.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Warmart; 12/30/2007 at 07:43 PM.
Warmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2007, 07:57 PM   #2
luke33
Moved On

I'd pass on the first one, and the second. I do like the third and you can generally find them for 200+ 45shipping, the reflectors are pretty much the exact same as the extreme pro's. I saw one of these two days ago a buddy just bought. It was a 12x60" er though. The remote timer is cool and he has had exceptional CS with them.....they called him on saturday to talk about the fixture....pretty steller.

luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2007, 08:00 PM   #3
luke33
Moved On

Oh one last thing, the bulb's that come with them are junk imo. So i'd buy atleast 3 decent bulb's after i got it. Then another three a few mths later. The second one you have listed is catalina's older model. There individual reflectors aren't great but they work just fine. Place your sps in the upper half. I wouldn't try sps without different bulb's either

Unread 12/30/2007, 08:20 PM   #4
wegotcrabs
Registered Member

I was also looking at these fixtures- anyone else have any opinions on them.

wegotcrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Justinandkrista
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1278005 "This was my Fourm"

I wouldnt bother with any of them. spend the extra and buy a nova pro or tek. I like the Nova pro's more than tek even with the refector that comes with it. I bet its plenty of light for what can be keep in a 36" long tank or 48"

Justinandkrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Warmart
Registered Member

Thanks, Luke. What is it about the 1st one that you don't like? The price increase? I liked that it has an acrylic shield and fans. I'd have to pay $30 for fans for the 3rd one - not a big deal of course. The auction site store has msg'd me several times and have given me the phone # for the Catalina rep - so like you said - they seem to be very responsive. I think I will call him when they open today and talk over some things.

Still interested in anyone else that owns one of these . . .

Unread 12/31/2007, 10:15 AM   #7
luke33
Moved On

I just think the first one is to expensive for what your getting. If the reflectors were like IC's or even tek's i'd say it was a good buy, but not so much for this guy. For a 55g a 6x54w should be plenty. I don't like the acrylic shield as well because it cuts down on par. The active cooling is nice though.

Unread 12/31/2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Warmart
Registered Member

Ok, I figured that was the reason. The price and the extra width were my negatives on it.

There are definitely two camps on usage of a shield! Will reduce par but I would think any salt accumulation would cause more issues. My current PC fixture is sitting on top of the tank and I do need to clean it every couple of weeks, always has some minor salt spray accumulated on the shield.

With my plans to hang the fixture I probably don't need to worry about it, but I will wait until I talk to the factory rep to see if the 6x54 can accept a shield (I would add the fans to it). The store rep said it couldn't but admitted he's still learning the ins and outs of these fixtures.