Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2009, 03:48 PM   #1
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Pfo Solaris Iv Power Supply Schematics

Does anyone have a power supply schematic? One of the supplies went south and I am looking for a schematic, parts list and circuit board layout diagram so that I can possibly fix the supply.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 05:55 PM   #2
cdmurphy
Registered Member

I'm after the same thing only for the I4 series. One of my power supplies went down on Friday night. Have you tried calling PFO? I sent them an email and they responded that the didn't have any in stock and basically left it at that. Since then I have tried to call numerous times and they won't answer the phone or reply to my voice mail or email. Not sure what going on because Carla at PFO is usually very good about getting back to me.

cdmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 06:40 PM   #3
tufacody
Registered Member

Keep trying. I have had to bug Carla many a time and they don't always call back quickly. They have always resolved my problems eventually though. I would think an I4 might still be under warranty? Odd that they have none in stock though. Doesn't this just **** you off? KEEP ENUFF OF THIS CRAP IN STOCK TO SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS PFO!!! NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 07:16 PM   #4
cdmurphy
Registered Member

It is still under warranty, I've only had it 10 months and so far I've had to replace 10 LED strips and the main control board and now the power supply has gone out and thats all been in the last 3 months prior to that I was really happy with the light. Carla has always been good about replacing everything under warranty but I'm not so sure what going on this time. Needless to say I'm not very happy at the moment. I don't have a back up light so I can see my SPS browning out by the minute.

Unread 01/27/2009, 07:19 PM   #5
GSMguy
Registered Member

Fix it and sell it while It's under warranty, that way you won't have to spend hundreds just keeping it running.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2009, 10:05 PM   #6
tufacody
Registered Member

I had all these problems with my first "chinese" Solaris, and they replaced it with an american-assembled one. I haven't had a problem since.

Unread 01/27/2009, 10:10 PM   #7
GSMguy
Registered Member

if you can do that, then go for it, but id also ask for a fresh 2 year warranty.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 01/28/2009, 07:39 AM   #8
cdmurphy
Registered Member

Tufacody, how long had you had it before they replaced it for you? I've asked Carla at PFO if I could have it replaced several times and been denied.

Unread 01/28/2009, 07:54 AM   #9
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

i think you can upgrade the i4 to the i5.

magnoliarichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 08:27 AM   #10
cdmurphy
Registered Member

I asked if I could upgrade and the response from PFO was that I would have to sell my I4 and buy an I5. My response was "why would I want to sell all the problems I'm having with the light to some other poor person". Pretty poor form shown by PFO I thought.

Unread 01/28/2009, 08:42 AM   #11
stolcpart
Registered Member

I have an H4 that had a powersupply that went south after 9 months, I contacted Carla and it took 3 months to get a powersupply mind you it was not Carla's fault. The supplies were on back order and somehow had been lost in China. Once I recieved the powersupply I found that several of my LED segments had gone south as well. I contact the owner and was told he did not handle that? So I talked to the person that did and was told that fixture was poorly made? , but that they would upgrade the electronics in mine to the I series but that they would not replace the fixture or send me a temp replacement. That was months ago, I have been trying to decide what to do since, finally I have some replacement lighting so I will be shipping it back for repair. Talk about customer service, what a joke.

stolcpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 08:51 AM   #12
cdmurphy
Registered Member

The Solaris is the worst investment I have made for my tank by far. I didn't mean this to get into a slanging match over PFO's poor customer service but they should have stock on hand of parts that are mostly likely to fail so that they can ship things out right away. Its not like your tank can survive months without light and not everyone has backup lighting fixture. I still have two banks of LED's working so I've been turning the fixture around every 6 hours and running my old PC fixture at the back of the tank.

Unread 01/28/2009, 09:06 AM   #13
stolcpart
Registered Member

Wow that sounds familiar, I moved what was left of my corals to one side of the tank. So frustrating, especially considering what was paid for these lights, if they were cheap I might understand.

Unread 01/28/2009, 09:18 AM   #14
buck50bmg
Moved On

Ashame PFO hasnt changed..... My H4 went back a while ago, MH are the way to go if you want reliable.

buck50bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 09:45 AM   #15
zorden
Registered Member

thanks for the feedback. i almost got a new toy from them.

zorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2009, 04:18 PM   #16
cdmurphy
Registered Member

Still no answer from PFO, I've been calling all day and can't get through to anyone. Once again PFO's customer service is outstanding.

Unread 01/28/2009, 04:33 PM   #17
tufacody
Registered Member

Mine was switched after about 6-7 months of use. None of the Chinese-assembled ones should be accepted. Period.

Unread 01/28/2009, 05:00 PM   #18
cdmurphy
Registered Member

I emailed PFO today requesting an upgrade, haven't heard back yet. If the Solaris was a car it would be covered under the Lemon Law, and that was this thing is. And thats exactly what it is, a $2700 lemon.

Unread 01/28/2009, 08:54 PM   #19
chadfarmer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdmurphy
I emailed PFO today requesting an upgrade, haven't heard back yet. If the Solaris was a car it would be covered under the Lemon Law, and that was this thing is. And thats exactly what it is, a $2700 lemon.

if i spent that kind of money on a light that didnt work i would have sent it back

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 09:26 AM   #20
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chadfarmer
if i spent that kind of money on a light that didnt work i would have sent it back
You would not have spent that kind of money without researching it..,

These solaris threads have all been the same since I got here in 06, customers who trust that PFO will change with each new generation, will continue to be dissapointed.

Unread 01/29/2009, 11:02 AM   #21
LarryW
Premium Member

There are several people i know who have been trying to call them. last contact was 1/19 with carla, and that's it. calls to all departments go unanswered, even accounting. they are registered on the site, and they were on a few days ago. I will go look at their last activity ,and post it.

PFO Lighting is the username.

LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 12:23 PM   #22
jtma508
Premium Member

At this point, if I were a Solaris owner I'd be building a list of all the Solaris owners I could find and contact an attorney. I smell bankruptcy.

jtma508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 12:46 PM   #23
stolcpart
Registered Member

I am not normally the sue'ing type, but I would think about getting in on that one, as I feel that I have been taken big time. Everyone there can be hard to get in touch with, the owner was "out of the office" for almost three weeks straight. At least that was what I was told.